PDA

View Full Version : Need help with PC and TSR 3.0

Pages : [1] 2

charliehaley
09-02-2008, 02:04 PM
I have a 99 white pontiac firebird. I am having trouble removing all defects form my paint. I have been using TSR on a orange pad and it has cleared it up quite a bit but there seem to still be some straight line scratches that go in all diferent directions. I dont have a yellow pad but i have a foamed wool pad. Should i try this with the TSR? This is my first time with the PC and I love how easy it is to use but im still trying to learn.

sciontest
09-02-2008, 05:12 PM
:whs: i'm having trouble with wolfgang tsr too. (it my first time on a pc7424) i used it on my dark blue 05 scion after washing and claying. i don't know but it seem like it took very little to none of the swirls out of the car. i used the pc7424 on speed 5 and 6 with orange pad each section then i go over the section agian with white pad. after tsr i apply p21s paintworks cleaner on speed 4 or 5 with a blue pad. (p21s dust a lot i think but it does have little filling abilities so i don't need a glaze) i'll seal the car with wolfgang dgps and i still see swirls on the car and some straight lines on the hood.

ASPHALT ROCKET
09-02-2008, 05:24 PM
You will need to go back over it with an orange pad. No need to work the p21s so long, spread it with the pc and then wipe it off with a mf.

ScottB
09-02-2008, 05:32 PM
I would never use the yellow pad and PC personally, it might take multiple passes with orange pad and PC must be on full speed with some pressure but not enough to bog it down.

nrengle
09-02-2008, 05:32 PM
You will need to go back over it with an orange pad. No need to work the p21s so long, spread it with the pc and then wipe it off with a mf.

:whs:

charliehaley
09-02-2008, 05:52 PM
I just went and looked again and places where i went over my hood twice with tsr and an orange pad on speed 6 took out very little. It increased surface gloss but did very little on some of the tougher swirls. My question is is ok to use the tsr with the wool pad. I need to try something more agressive. I dont have enough polish to go over the whole car with 3+ passes.

charliehaley
09-02-2008, 08:05 PM
Anyone? I spent all the money that i will be able to devote to detailing products for a while in my last order. Are there any suggestions on what i can do?

Jimmie
09-02-2008, 08:17 PM
I've never used the WG TSR but some polishes "less is more". My first thought was that you might have used too much polish and you alluded to the same when you said that you wouldn't have enough to make three passes.
Some polishes/pads cut better when you use less.

budman3
09-02-2008, 08:30 PM
TSR3.0 is a very solid polish. With a PC, you'll want to use speed 6 and the smallest pads available. A few pea sized drops of polish is a decent amount to use per panel and the product will become translucent when it is sufficiently broken down. I have used a wool pad on a PC to remove sanding marks before and it was successful at removing the deeper defects. However, keep in mind the wool will leave additional micromarring that will need to be removed with a different pad and polish combo after. Remember not to apply too little or too much pressure to the machine and do slow overlapping movements. A good way to gauge if you use too much pressure is to see if the pad stops rotating. Paint a line on your backing plate to see whether or not it is spinning. Too little pressure simply won't yield any nice results. Over time you'll get more comfortable and find the happy medium. One final thought, without pictures of the swirls it is hard to say whether or not a polish and pad combination will work or not. Almost every vehicle has some deep random swirling which is going to be almost impossible to remove, especially with a PC. These swirls should be treated as scratches and keep in mind that some deep swirls are better than removing too much clear and having CC failure a few years down the road.

charliehaley
09-02-2008, 09:11 PM
Thanks for your advice guys. I know what you mean about finding the right amount of pressure. I think i found the right spot with that and i am using 5.5 pads. I know they aren't the smallest but im hoping they will still do the correction i need. As far as the amount goes i used 2-3 one inch long lines to prime the pad my first use and then exactly 3 pea sized dots from then on. My paint already has amazing shine and with it being white you can only see the swirls/scratches in the perfect light. I was hoping to get rid of these just for my own sake since no one else even notices. I was also suprised that gloss gain was minimal if any after two passes of tsr with an orange pad and one pass of finishing glaze on a white pad. Maybe its just because my car is white that i didnt see a tremendous difference. Oh and i would try to get pics but it is almost impossible to without the perfect light. If the rain will let up long enough some time this week i can try to get a few pics. Until then i think i might just try one pass of tsr with the foamed wool and see how it comes out.

mixxer
09-03-2008, 05:08 PM
What budman said. Those lines you see going in different directions are deeper RIDS and will be tuff for pc to take out unless using 5.5 or 4 inch pad.

charliehaley
09-03-2008, 08:09 PM
Still havent gotten a chance to try out the wool pad. It has been raining cats and dogs around here and probably will be for a little while. I am hoping to get the finish perfect the first time and take care of it where i never need more than a finishing polish to bring it back to life. By the way, what does RID stand for?

budman3
09-03-2008, 08:22 PM
RIDS = random isolated deep scratches.

What lights do you have to inspect the surface with? Do you have any halogens or similar?

charliehaley
09-03-2008, 08:33 PM
I have 1000W halogens. They dont help that much with my car being white. I can really see how bad they are at night when looking at the reflection of the overhead light in my carport. There are still many swirls left along with the RIDS. I think it might just come down to doing a thorough compound and then maintain. Is the CC on my car really hard? I didnt expect it to be this hard to remove all the swirls.

sal329
09-03-2008, 10:36 PM
Use the halogen light in a dark garage that is how I check mine, or drive it to the gas station at night lol. Try it again with a very slow movement of the PC, move your hand and PC back and forth as you slide the PC to the right (for ex).