PDA

View Full Version : New Forum

Matt
03-22-2006, 09:57 AM
Hey all,

We decided to create this forum due to the amount of Porter Cable / Pad inquiries we get.

If you have any questions related to the Porter Cable 7424, pads, backing plates, counterweights, usage/techniques, feel free to post them in here!

ScottB
03-22-2006, 08:46 PM
I am extremely glad to see this area, as I am PM'd on pads consistently. Absolutely bare minimum is an orange, white, and two finishing pads. A flexible backing plate is also needed. Several kits are offered at a great price and add greater flexibility. Sizing is a personal preference, but 6.5 are a nice middle ground.

rdunnac
03-23-2006, 03:46 AM
Oh Yea!! Thanks for creating this forum. I have a Porter Cable 7424 coming my way. I am new to this kind of detailing but am doing a lot of reading. I know questions are to come. :)

Matt
03-23-2006, 09:18 AM
I am extremely glad to see this area, as I am PM'd on pads consistently. Absolutely bare minimum is an orange, white, and two finishing pads. A flexible backing plate is also needed. Several kits are offered at a great price and add greater flexibility. Sizing is a personal preference, but 6.5 are a nice middle ground.

I agree...except maybe 2 orange and 2 whites. As we know, if you're doing some serious polishing, the pads get gummed up and need replacement (but I suppose you CAN just wash/dry them on the spot).

snomon1017
03-24-2006, 05:15 PM
Greetings! I've been doing lot-o-reading about the Porter Cable too and have been really been tempted to take the plunge. However, I'm trying to justify the expense, as I am hand waxing practically every second or third week anyway. Truth is, my paint is in very good condition, though there is some barely perceptable, I guess you'd call them spider webbing, on the surface that can only be seen from a few inches away. I'm afraid I'd do more harm than good with power in my hands. Any thoughts?

JeffW
03-24-2006, 09:10 PM
New foam? WOOT, WOOT!!! :D

Oh, dern... you said New Forum. ;)

Matt
03-25-2006, 09:25 AM
Greetings! I've been doing lot-o-reading about the Porter Cable too and have been really been tempted to take the plunge. However, I'm trying to justify the expense, as I am hand waxing practically every second or third week anyway. Truth is, my paint is in very good condition, though there is some barely perceptable, I guess you'd call them spider webbing, on the surface that can only be seen from a few inches away. I'm afraid I'd do more harm than good with power in my hands. Any thoughts?

Unless you're rubbing the backing plate on the paint while buffing, it's damn near impossible to do damage as long as you're using a foam pad. The only way to really burn the paint or do damage is if you're using a 4" spot buffs cutting pad, or a wool pad on the highest speed with a heavy polish/compound.

If you read our guide and use common sense you will be fine, and in my opinion, it's not possible to do more harm than good with a Porter Cable as long as you don't TRY to mess things up. :D

ewiesner
03-25-2006, 07:36 PM
Can somebody relate the speed settings on a PC7424, to the pad RPM's? For example if I want a 3500 RPM pad what should I set the dial to on my PC?
Thanks!

ScottB
03-25-2006, 08:35 PM
without running in the garage and checking unit, I believe it is 3.5 as memory serves dials is between -0- and -6-. I will tell you for swirl removal your gonna need to get that thing in the 5000 rpm range.

jsatek
03-25-2006, 09:02 PM
Anyone use the grey and blue pads?

I plan on only use a PC for waxing, sealing.

For me, Makita rotary is the only way to go. I wet sanded newly painted cars for 5 years when I was in High School and College. TONS of practice on Glasurit and Sikkens paint. - (big $$$)

I just bought a PC 7424 and will give it a shot for waxing/sealing.