PDA

View Full Version : Dealership paint protection??

Dusty Bottoms
09-01-2008, 08:56 AM
My parents both have newer vehicles (07 and 08).... They both got the paint protection/rust proofing offered through the ford dealer. I was just wondering what they do to the paint/clear coat and if I should treat it just like any other vehicle when sealing/waxing etc.

Any info will be very appreciated. Im the MAN

ScottB
09-01-2008, 09:46 AM
they use a paint sealant (like those sold here) and markup several 100% knowing the warranty on your paint and the likelyhood of failure during the warranty period is quite low. In almost all cases it is recommended not to take it. If you did, read the fine print in the warranty/contract and see all the ways they can get out of it.

I would still highly suggest you follow a normal detailing regimine to get the best from the finish. Washing, claying, polishing and protecting when possible. It will however likely remove the dealers protection on your first paint cleansing/polishing attempt.

Dusty Bottoms
09-01-2008, 09:58 AM
Interesting.... Both my parents have it on their vehicles because it was part of a larger package. However, I did not get it on mine.

Wendell Jarvis
09-01-2008, 10:19 AM
Killrwheels was right on the money with his comment for you........in a nut shell from the dealerships point of view.....its called Upselling,

David Fermani
09-01-2008, 06:35 PM
Yup. Read the fine print and take it back as soon as it looses it's gloss and/or beading properties. Insist it should look no different that it did the day it got delivered to them. And, make sure you maintain it the exact way the contract/agreement suggests. What system/brand of product they they use?

Dusty Bottoms
09-01-2008, 08:41 PM
No clue what they used, they referred to it as some sort of rustproofing process... I'll find out in a few days, I have to take my truck in for a few small paint defects.

UGH.... I hate car dealerships.

trhland
09-02-2008, 04:13 AM
its funyy when i bought my truck they said do you want the Simonizing protection? i was like umm how much $500!!! i was like screw it .. this was befor ei really got into detailing.. otherwise i would have never even asked how much...

sciontest
09-02-2008, 11:07 AM
if you get that option from the dealer it's called "dealer swirl option" that's over priced. i know cause i have 3 cars that i bought brand new and had them do the swirl option. i'm still new to the detail world and was just fustrated on bring my cars to the local datail shop. just about 2 months ago i read autogeek forurms and ask the pro's for advice. (Still Learning) now i'm hooked on autogeek and did 1 of my cars i was so amazed on the out come that now i find myself washing/detailing 1 car at a time relaxing.

civicgeek133
09-02-2008, 01:13 PM
I work at a ford dealer ship as a porter and take my word and save your money. At the dealer ship I work at we use Auto Armor, not to sure about other dealers. Auto Armor has a protection package they offer. The paint protection is basically a paint sealent. We're actually only supposed to put the paint protection on the hood, roof, and flat parts but we usually put it on the whole vehicle. The aftermarket sales person blobs on about how it protects the paint from acid rain ect. ect.

The rust proofing is from the same company. At our dealer its in a gun fed by air with a long hose on it with a nozzle to get in the tight places. I don't see what it stops. To me it seems to just make a mess and serves no purpose.

All in all. Save your money. The only thing in my opinion that would be worth buying is the undercoating. You could go on Autogeek and order supplies to do everything the dealer does and make it come out alot better.

supercharged
09-02-2008, 10:41 PM
yeah, that's pure income. For that money you can get a lot of stuff from AG and do it yourself.

asa.rand
09-03-2008, 11:19 AM
The only thing in my opinion that would be worth buying is the undercoating.

I don't know if undercoating had changed in 35 years, but if it hasn't (and you're one of those who likes the idea of cleaning your wheel wells), I would avoid undercoat. It is (or at least was) a spray-on petroleum tar. It's messy and will get all over your brushes, towels and anything else it comes in contact with, and is (was) a bear to get off of paint.

Anyone here know more about modern undercoats?

civicgeek133
09-05-2008, 10:27 PM
I am not exactly sure though. It never hardens to a solid, it always stays soft. But it doesn't come over threw normal washes. I'm sure it hasn't changed to much. We have it in like a 25 gallon drum, and has a pump and a gun on it, works good but hard to get into tight spots. I clean my wheels wells everytime I wash my car and its fine. The U/C isn't to hard to get off when your using the right product. We have another product by AutoArmor. Its a adhesive remover. It says on the can, removes adhesive, undercoating, spots, and grease. It takes it right off. Works great say we get undercoating on the vehicles paint or anything else we dont want it on. We just get a rag and put some adhesive remover on it and wipe it off.

But replying to the OP. Save your money. Buy your own detailing supplies and do it your self if you have time. The dealership will charge you a arm and a leg since they have to make a profit.