PDA

View Full Version : freshly painted car &wetsanding-polishing question

Pages : [1] 2

pampos
08-29-2008, 12:29 PM
The Civic just been resprayed with some nice shine layers of clear coat but with some orange peel on it..
The painter told me that he will wet sand it tomorrow with 3M 1500 sandpaper and he will use compound to polish it...
1)Is that a good idea for a freshly painted car??
2)If it is not a good idea,what possible problems may cause to clear??(i told to the painter not to do it now but i cannot change his mind)
3)Of course i will need to polish it with a finer polish to remove the holograms and light swirls from compounding,and wax the car...Does it matter what kind of wax i am going to use??

Thanks

ASPHALT ROCKET
08-29-2008, 12:37 PM
Did he do it in a paint both and let it bake after being painted, if so you can go ahead and wet sand it.

pampos
08-29-2008, 12:43 PM
Did he do it in a paint both and let it bake after being painted, if so you can go ahead and wet sand it.
he sprayed the paint,then the cc but he will not bake it..it will dry naturally for about 15 hours....
He said that he done this before without any problems :confused::confused:

ASPHALT ROCKET
08-29-2008, 01:15 PM
I would have atleast let it dry for a day, but if he insists, I guess he can fix what he messes up i would hope.

pampos
08-29-2008, 01:19 PM
I would have atleast let it dry for a day, but if he insists, I guess he can fix what he messes up i would hope.
I hope so too : )
The problem is that he polished a car today and the results wasn't good at all.The car was full of holograms and swirls from compounding...
I guess it will be OK to polish it and wax it,isn't it??

ASPHALT ROCKET
08-29-2008, 02:13 PM
Yes, you will need to polish it after he gets done.

pampos
08-29-2008, 03:08 PM
Yes, you will need to polish it after he gets done.
THANKS !!!!

nrengle
08-29-2008, 06:43 PM
Don't wax it though since he's not backing the paint. Just polish. The paint needs to outgas for a bit yet and so it can harden. Having wax on it, slows or prevents the outgassing.

ASPHALT ROCKET
08-29-2008, 08:59 PM
Actually a nuba wont hurt it at all.

pampos
08-29-2008, 09:52 PM
Thanks guys...How should i remove some sprayed paint from the window??

ASPHALT ROCKET
08-29-2008, 09:56 PM
Razor blade

pampos
08-29-2008, 10:07 PM
Razor blade
Thanks once again...Should i use any lubricant/cleaner or not??

ss-truck
08-29-2008, 11:27 PM
On the clear coat , its probably a urethane and can be safely water sanded the next day and bufffed . I have done it many times with NO problems . If he knows what he is doing and is good with his buffer you might not have any swirls or halograms . Good Luck !!

pampos
08-30-2008, 01:44 AM
On the clear coat , its probably a urethane and can be safely water sanded the next day and bufffed . I have done it many times with NO problems . If he knows what he is doing and is good with his buffer you might not have any swirls or halograms . Good Luck !!
I HOPE SO TOO....It is very hot today for car detailing : )
Thanks mate...

ASPHALT ROCKET
08-30-2008, 04:53 AM
Thanks once again...Should i use any lubricant/cleaner or not??

You don't have to, if you want spray some glass cleaner first than use the razor blade.