PDA

View Full Version : Cobra indigo towels disintegrating?

Pages : [1] 2

builthatch
08-27-2008, 05:05 PM
over the span of a few months, i ordered two sets of the blue towels. i always am meticulous with my towels...i keep them organized, bagged, wash them and dry them carefully, etc.

so anyway, i decided to order these things to give me something better than the commodity type MF towels i was using previously. i figured i'm using boutique chemicals, i might as well step up and use good towels. these things have given me issues since the first time i washed them.

i get these uniformly sized strands all over whatever i wipe, esp when using them with instant detailer or for glass with proper glass cleaner. the fibers are very thin, sorta reflective/transparent and all the same size like i mentioned. they end up sticking to wherever i wiped and make a GIGANTIC MESS of my project.

i called AG and talked to bobby. he was very helpful and did what he could. he sent me a couple more towels. he told me all the obvious stuff regarding care, and i ended up spending more cash on some DP cleaner. i soaked these things in DP solution ALONE, then washed them in warm water ALONE, rinsed them twice alone, spun them alone, and hung dried them alone on a rack in an isolated room.

unfortunately, the ones he sent look just like the ones i had, meaning unused, since i never really used the original ones due to the problems they cause. i should have probably kept them seperate but i was under the impression this DP stuff would solve my problems........

i went to use two of the clean towels, and they are doing the same thing. what gives here? it's like the towel's fibers are shedding like crazy. it's driving me INSANE. i feel like this guy -
- 1984 - Crazy Eddie

i know how to take care of towels, i think that maybe i just got a bad batch and that batch contaminated the ones bobby sent me. that's my take on it.

thoughts? i left a message with returns. i want these things outta here but i know cobra makes a good towel...usually. i gotta get my hands on something because i can't go back to these wal-mart units.

ScottB
08-27-2008, 05:09 PM
I believe I have every Cobra offering and never seen more than a little linting. I keep them segregated, wash in a dedicated soap, never use vinegar, and dry seperately in dryer then enclose in sealed baggies.

Rsurfer
08-27-2008, 05:12 PM
Your towels are linting, maybe a bad batch. I had a few mfs do that, so I boiled them. It did help, but still linted especially on glass. So I boiled them again and problem solved.

builthatch
08-27-2008, 06:19 PM
Your towels are linting, maybe a bad batch. I had a few mfs do that, so I boiled them. It did help, but still linted especially on glass. So I boiled them again and problem solved.

boiled! wow...

doesn't melt the fibers, ehh? seems like it would!

how long did you boil them? sounds very interesting.

yeah, these fibers are DEF from the towel itself. they are all exactly the same in every manner, and are very fine. all i have to do is touch the towel to a window and wipe the slightest bit and they lay themselves all over.

Rsurfer
08-27-2008, 07:09 PM
boiled! wow...

doesn't melt the fibers, ehh? seems like it would!

how long did you boil them? sounds very interesting.

yeah, these fibers are DEF from the towel itself. they are all exactly the same in every manner, and are very fine. all i have to do is touch the towel to a window and wipe the slightest bit and they lay themselves all over.About 10-15 minutes after the water comes to a full boil. Use a stainless steel dutch oven if you have one. Oh, and no it will not melt the fibers.

builthatch
08-27-2008, 07:17 PM
About 10-15 minutes after the water comes to a full boil. Use a stainless steel dutch oven if you have one. Oh, and no it will not melt the fibers.

ugh, i don't mean to be a dummy, but you mean get it to boiling point, shut it down, and them put the towels at that point? or keep the water boiling and boil the towels for 10-15 minutes!

sorry, and thanks :D

Keith Harrison
08-27-2008, 07:18 PM
This is interesting. I have 10+ cobras and no issue. I bought a large package of MF's from Costco. (Yellow) I got them to do interior, windows, and wheels since they were so cheap and relatively thick. Man they do the same thing your are describing on windows. Fine on tires/interior.

I did find that if I machine dried them that it helped some.

Rsurfer
08-27-2008, 07:55 PM
This is interesting. I have 10+ cobras and no issue. I bought a large package of MF's from Costco. (Yellow) I got them to do interior, windows, and wheels since they were so cheap and relatively thick. Man they do the same thing your are describing on windows. Fine on tires/interior.

I did find that if I machine dried them that it helped some.
I have two packs of Costco yellow mfs. They will never touch my paint or glass. Use them for wheels/tires and under the hood.

Rsurfer
08-27-2008, 07:58 PM
ugh, i don't mean to be a dummy, but you mean get it to boiling point, shut it down, and them put the towels at that point? or keep the water boiling and boil the towels for 10-15 minutes!

sorry, and thanks :D
Get the water to a boil, add towels and let boil for 10-15 minutes.

Keith Harrison
08-27-2008, 08:04 PM
I have two packs of Costco yellow mfs. They will never touch my paint or glass. Use them for wheels/tires and under the hood.

I never even considered using them on my paint... But they pretty much suck beyond even what I expected. They are now the MF of choice for cleaning my tires/rims and I normally even follow up on my rims with blue.

If its a job that might result in a throw away, I go yellow. I really hate I have them now...

Rsurfer
08-27-2008, 08:38 PM
I never even considered using them on my paint... But they pretty much suck beyond even what I expected. They are now the MF of choice for cleaning my tires/rims and I normally even follow up on my rims with blue.

If its a job that might result in a throw away, I go yellow. I really hate I have them now...
Yeah, I know what you mean. Just hate to throw them out. Works good on tires/rims, under the hood. To be honest, I still soak them in Purple Power and some simple green and re-use them. Until they rip I'll keep using them. Can't throw them out cause they don't rip! Those yellow puppies are dam durable. LOL

hondajake
08-27-2008, 08:57 PM
I have never had a problem with mine. I was in cool water with DP MB Cleaner and then "air" dry them in the dyer. No problems here with any MB towels, even ones I have had over 2 seasons.

Keith Harrison
08-27-2008, 09:17 PM
Yeah, I know what you mean. Just hate to throw them out. Works good on tires/rims, under the hood. To be honest, I still soak them in Purple Power and some simple green and re-use them. Until they rip I'll keep using them. Can't throw them out cause they don't rip! Those yellow puppies are dam durable. LOL

Yeah I wash mine also. There is always a dirty job waiting.

Hey, did you boil the yellows and did it stop the lint? If it were not for the lint they really wouldn't be so bad.

Rsurfer
08-27-2008, 09:26 PM
No cause I didnt care about the lint on those towels. Try it, should work. Watch out for the edges they do scratch the paint.

Racin10s
08-28-2008, 07:20 AM
Just going to point out the obvious here.... Don't wash your good MF towels with the cheap ones. I made this mistake and now my good Cobras also lint. I haven't had a chance to boil them yet, but I expect it will take care of the problem.