PDA

View Full Version : First big detailing job

phrosyn
08-27-2008, 07:08 AM
Feed back pleaseFeed back pleaseFeed back please
Hey all, after days of research i have finally got all the products together that i think will get what i need done.

Meguiars NXTGen Tech Wash
Meguiars Scratch X
P21s Paint Cleanser
Meguiars Deep Crystal Wetlook Polymer Sealant
P21s 100% Carnuba Wax
Applied with Meguiars applicator pads and removed with their microfibre towels. and used in that order.

Have to admit looks nice. But id really like to know if it could have been better.
how did some products effect others?
were some steps pointless?
am i an idiot for waxing my windows?
Did i throw away money on meguiars when i could have got better?

I am not worried about money or effort that goes into this thing to make it look great. as long as its all by my own hand. so please tell me what you think. ive posted some photos to;

Keith Harrison
08-27-2008, 12:34 PM
Price no object, replace P21S 100% with Fuzion. I just did, and it definitely looks nicer and all indications are it will last longer. It also applies easier. AND, AG has 20% off over the holiday weekend! The P21S Cleanser is a nice product though, I used it to remove the 100% before applying Fuzion. And don't get me wrong, the P21S 100% is not bad, its just not quite Fuzion.

sal329
08-27-2008, 06:54 PM
I think it looks good. Using scratch X and not listing any machine, all this was done by hand? I would have clayed the car but that would be about it. Your results look good I do not see a need to change unless you get a machine.

builthatch
08-27-2008, 07:39 PM
as long as its all by my own hand.

i'm confused...

does that mean that you need to do it by hand, or that you want to do it yourself?

tripperfx3
08-27-2008, 08:21 PM
Oh God... I just messed my pants... I love your car!!! Is it a Spec R?

Regardless as mentioned above add claying in as part of your process and also pick up a porter cable or Ultimate Detailing Machine if your budget will allow it.

phrosyn
08-27-2008, 09:19 PM
hey loving the feedback guys. Its a spec s which i think is better looks smoother and is lighter than the spec r.
Also it is done by hand. no machines. I would like to keep it that way. and if possible keep it under 1 days work for 1 person.
If anyone who really knows their stuff (not that these guys dont) can recommend other layers or anything at all that could make it nicer/last longer please do reply.

phrosyn
08-27-2008, 09:21 PM
ps. i clay bard with meguiars and then nxtgen techwax about 2 weeks earlier but wasnt happy. hence this job

builthatch
08-27-2008, 10:35 PM
trying to get what you want by hand is not possible. it takes alot of time, alot of effort, and gets you pretty much nowhere. there is absolutely NOTHING that can be done by hand that will give you results worth the effort.

i used to be like you as well. i wanted to avoid machines...that is how i found autogeek. when i decided i need to get atleast a orbital to maximize my efforts...and i was right.

anything you do by hand that will give you any results, in terms of taking care of swirls, etc, will only be temporary and subpar at that. that's because it'll use fillers to hide stuff, not remove it.

i hate to say it, but you are wasting your time unless you get a machine. it's just the way it is nowadays :applause:

i'll give my opinion on what you used....

it's not the best, but it'll work. you can grab a machine and use that stuff with decent results.

i'd get an orange pad or two and a UDM.

if your paint problems are very light (swirls, etc), you can use the scratch-x with the orange pad. you don't need the cleanser IMO. if you have some more serious stuff going on (deep rain etching, etc) you need a compound, then a more HQ polish like Optimum polish. anyway,

i'd just correct with the machine and then you can do the rest by hand like you did. (sealant, wax)