PDA

View Full Version : How would I use touch-up paint/primer?

darksparkz
08-04-2006, 01:22 AM
I have some scratches and a few paint chips on my car. I've ordered primer, base color coat, and clearcoat 2oz brush bottles from paintscratch.com already.

What are proper steps to apply everything? I know that I only need to use primer if the scratch gets up to the black metal, and some parts of the scratch actually does.

From what I know, these are the steps:
1) Clean the area with any wax remover or dish washing detergent.
2) Apply primer to the black metal areas
3) Wait till it dries according to bottle
4) Sand it even with 1000grit
5) Apply base color
6) Wait till it dries
7) Sand it even again with 1500grit
8) Apply clearcoat
9) Sand with 2000grit
10) Use rubbing compound to clean up any uneven leftover spots
11) Wait 30 days then apply wax.

Any other recommendations or anything I should know?

Meghan
08-04-2006, 07:23 AM
Here is a great tool for assisting with Paint Chip Repair.
http://www.autogeek.net/langka.html

FloridaNative
08-04-2006, 10:19 AM
Not to hijack this thread, but has anybody used Touch Up 123? How does it compare to the kit from Paintscratch.com?? It looks much less labor intensive, but that doesn't mean anything if the results aren't there.

ScottB
08-04-2006, 06:12 PM
there are certain things best left to the professional ... painting is one.

Reddwarf
08-04-2006, 06:21 PM
I tried using the Langka products. It's the only purchase from AG that I've not been 110% pleased with. I'm not saying it's not good, it just didn't work for me. I tried it a couple of times using the different methods they recommend. But I was never completely successful. I agree with Killrwheels, painting is better left to professionals.

darksparkz
08-05-2006, 01:21 AM
I understand that professional paint is much different then some DIY stuff. But then for small fixes and for cars that aren't worth paying a professional to fix up for.