PDA

View Full Version : Need some quick advice plz

dublifecrisis
08-26-2008, 11:24 AM
Tomorrow I'll be tackling a silver 2001 4-Runner for a friend. He pre-paid for a full interior/exterior job which I guessed would end up being a 2 step+LSP. I don't have any pictures but it's pretty neglected. a bit of oxidation, swirls etc but not a whole lot of swirls because, well, he never washes it, even at a gas station tunnel.
My question is around my choice of polishing and LSP. My go-to has been Intensive polish with either a white or orange lake country pads (I've got 4" 5.5" and 6.5") and I have some gray and red pads if needed.
In the AG store, I read that often times you can go from IP straight to LSP but in the past I've also hit it with Menz Final polish that I have. Should I use this combo?
I was thinking of using M83 since the cleaning properties might be better suited for this job but then I don't have M80 or any other finishing polish other than menzerna. I also have Poli-seal, DG105, M7 but I don't consider these as finishing polishes. I have M105 but I don't think that's going to be necessary.

Should I just go with IP/FP with white/gray pads on my PC?

Matt S.
08-26-2008, 11:29 AM
I wouldn't use FP after IP on a silver car. You won't be able to see a difference. However, it depends on the pad you need to use. If you can get away with removing the defects with IP and a white pad (very gentle combo) you won't need a final polish. If you have to use an orange or yellow pad with IP, it would be a good idea to follow with FP and a gray pad.

dublifecrisis
08-26-2008, 11:43 AM
thanks for the quick reply. I've done IP/Orange and FP/white before and gone straight to LSP. This was on 2 different dark colored GM paints that seemed pretty hard. Guessing this 4runner is going to be a bit softer. If I can go Intensive polish on white and then perhaps poli-seal on gray...hmmm. That would save me 1-2 hours at the end of the day. How about that combo and then I can just buff off the Poli-seal residue with OCW and be done. what do you think?