PDA

View Full Version : OMFG, I scratched my car.....

the_patrick
08-25-2008, 09:02 PM
First scratch, and boy - it's a doozie. Through the clear coat, about 3 inches long, finger nail width. I went to a detailing shop and they said I have 2 options: 1) paint the whole back for $500 2) buy black wax and try to make it work. Anyone ever used black wax? Does it work for a deep scratches? Brand recommendations?

Thanks for your help!

Rsurfer
08-25-2008, 09:33 PM
Never heard of it, is it like Kiwi?

the_patrick
08-25-2008, 10:27 PM
it's wax, and it's black. My car is black. So yeah, I guess it's kinda like Kiwi. The only kind I've seen is Turtle Wax Black Polish that comes with a chapstick container of "black wax".

I guess the real question is what do I do about a scratch that has gone through the clear coat....and I would rather not spend $500 fixing a 3 inch scratch on the back of my car.

///07 Lexus IS 350 - obsidian/cashmere
// chrome rims
/ scratch on the back

Rsurfer
08-25-2008, 10:47 PM
Well like the detailer said, repaint or black wax. You could try Lanka paint repair kit.

ScottB
08-26-2008, 05:04 PM
I would have it repaired professionally ...

67Customs
08-26-2008, 07:30 PM
What the heck is black wax?

I say go to a REAL shop. You basically have two options. Have the panel repainted or have the scratched filled, wetsanded and buffed. A good detailer will be able to do that for you.

CakeDaddy
08-26-2008, 08:40 PM
First scratch, and boy - it's a doozie. Through the clear coat, about 3 inches long, finger nail width. I went to a detailing shop and they said I have 2 options: 1) paint the whole back for $500 2) buy black wax and try to make it work. Anyone ever used black wax? Does it work for a deep scratches? Brand recommendations?

Thanks for your help!

lets see some pics. I've seen some amazing work done on scratches without re-paint