PDA

View Full Version : 3M-Perfect-It III

gotgone
08-24-2008, 10:49 AM
A guy gave me a brand new bottle of this. He said it is great stuff. I am a little concerned that it may be too aggressive for PC use. Any thoughts on this product? Thanks for your help.

CakeDaddy
08-25-2008, 12:14 PM
A guy gave me a brand new bottle of this. He said it is great stuff. I am a little concerned that it may be too aggressive for PC use. Any thoughts on this product? Thanks for your help.

Which one did he give you? 3M has a whole line of Perfect-It (compound,swirl mark remover, etc). I use it with great success(sp) on a black car. Look at the link below; it has pics with part numbers.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-forum/14849-3m-products.html

gotgone
08-25-2008, 05:26 PM
It is the same product as in the title. Perfect-It III. I played around with it on a practice fender yesterday. I used white, orange and yellow pads. I primed the pads and used about a nickel sized blob. I tried it at speed 4 and 6. I noticed a lot of dust. I also found that if I didn't work it till it basically disappeared, I couldn't wipe off the residue. I had to use a qd to remove it. It seemed to be a little more aggressive than PB SSR1.0. Thanks for the help.

CakeDaddy
08-25-2008, 05:33 PM
Look at this link:
3M-Perfect-It III - Google Product Search (http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&q=3M-Perfect-It+III&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&resnum=1&ct=title)

3M-Perfect-It III offers a wide range of stuff, but you said "dust" I'm guessing polish.

gotgone
08-25-2008, 06:42 PM
Sorry I wasn't more descriptive. The item# is 05933. The label says 3M Perfect-it III Rubbing Compound. It didn't seem very abrassive to me. I have some PB SSR2.5 which feels alot more abrassive. Sorry for the confusion. I did do a search and read that this item has been discontinued. It feels and acts more like a polish.

CakeDaddy
08-25-2008, 07:05 PM
LOL... no problem, I knew we'd get to the bottom of it. That appears to be for heavy scratches, so unless you have heavy scratches I suggest part 3M Finecut 1200grit (part num 06060). You've already determined that it is abbrassive. Hopefully, someone else will chime in to add more info.

gotgone
08-25-2008, 09:36 PM
Thanks again. Guess I will go shopping.

mrfjsw294
08-27-2008, 01:45 PM
Look at this link:
3M-Perfect-It III - Google Product Search (http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&q=3M-Perfect-It+III&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&resnum=1&ct=title)

3M-Perfect-It III offers a wide range of stuff, but you said "dust" I'm guessing polish.

3M Perfect-It III Rubbing Compound is made for heavy swirl marks and 1200 grit sand scratches. They made two grades of it; Just regular Perfect-It III and Perfect-It III Extra Cut. The discontinued the extra cut. The replacement doesnt have near the cutting power IMHO. Otherwise, I really like their compounds, they work well and for a compound, they finish down nicely.

You have to work it till its completely broken down, if it looks like there is an oily residue on the surface, then keep working it. This is a great product when used correctly. Its a shame they don't make it anymore/changed the formula.

It isn't too aggressive for a PC. It works wonders and cuts very fast with a Rotary. :D

CakeDaddy
08-27-2008, 02:14 PM
3M Perfect-It III Rubbing Compound is made for heavy swirl marks and 1200 grit sand scratches. They made two grades of it; Just regular Perfect-It III and Perfect-It III Extra Cut. The discontinued the extra cut. The replacement doesnt have near the cutting power IMHO. Otherwise, I really like their compounds, they work well and for a compound, they finish down nicely.

You have to work it till its completely broken down, if it looks like there is an oily residue on the surface, then keep working it. This is a great product when used correctly. Its a shame they don't make it anymore/changed the formula.

It isn't too aggressive for a PC. It works wonders and cuts very fast with a Rotary. :D

WHAT?? They discontiunued the 3m 1200grit extra cut pt. num. 06060? hmmm, my napa paint store here has tons of it on their shelf. I wonder if it'd be in my best interest to buy more before it's allllll gone. This stuff works great!!!:buffing:

mrfjsw294
08-28-2008, 07:32 AM
WHAT?? They discontiunued the 3m 1200grit extra cut pt. num. 06060? hmmm, my napa paint store here has tons of it on their shelf. I wonder if it'd be in my best interest to buy more before it's allllll gone. This stuff works great!!!:buffing:

Yep! 06060 is no longer being produced. If you like it and someone near you sells it, buy all you can now! Every place around here is totally sold out already. The body shops bought them all out.

Totoland Mach
08-28-2008, 07:52 AM
Yep! 06060 is no longer being produced. If you like it and someone near you sells it, buy all you can now! Every place around here is totally sold out already. The body shops bought them all out.

Yep: you're right. The dealer bought the last gallon here in KC yesterday. Apparently, the Extra Cut is not V.o.C. compliant and will no longer be available. It definitely has some serious cutting power. I just don't like the grit dust or the smell....both are awful and you "must" wash the vehicle after using this stuff.

I'm going to be experimenting with some other compounds soon. Menzerna Power Gloss, Presta, and a few others. For some goofy reason, I can't get the Meg's 105 to work correctly with wool. Must be my old age.

Toto

CakeDaddy
08-28-2008, 08:56 AM
Yep: you're right. The dealer bought the last gallon here in KC yesterday. Apparently, the Extra Cut is not V.o.C. compliant and will no longer be available. It definitely has some serious cutting power. I just don't like the grit dust or the smell....both are awful and you "must" wash the vehicle after using this stuff.

I'm going to be experimenting with some other compounds soon. Menzerna Power Gloss, Presta, and a few others. For some goofy reason, I can't get the Meg's 105 to work correctly with wool. Must be my old age.

Toto
aint that a beotch!! I'm heading to my napa paint store right now.

mrfjsw294
08-28-2008, 09:02 AM

Toto

I will admit, it did dust ALOT! But man the cut was NICE! I cant speak for Menz PG but Presta Strata Ultra-Cut is about the closest thing I could find to 3m EC. It doesnt seem to have the work time that EC did, but i dont think it dusts as much and it does cut very well. Some say its hard to work with, I think that is subjective.

CakeDaddy
08-28-2008, 09:11 AM
I will admit, it did dust ALOT! But man the cut was NICE! I cant speak for Menz PG but Presta Strata Ultra-Cut is about the closest thing I could find to 3m EC. It doesnt seem to have the work time that EC did, but i dont think it dusts as much and it does cut very well. Some say its hard to work with, I think that is subjective.

I agree.. very subjective. There is some dust but I run my secondary cali duster over it and all is good. I have a black car and this stuff is unbeleivable(sp). I dont see it being hard to work with at all, but the 06068(polish/swirl mark remover) can be a pain, especially when it isnt broken down all the way, but hey... I just hung up with my napa guy and you are right.... no MORE 06060 Extra Cut. :mad: He said he only has 4 of the 1 gallon bottles for $125 each. He said they zero'd out his previous order for it, so this may be the last they see of it. I'm on my way now to scoop up a gallon of this or maybe even two. Thanks for the info.

edit:
fyi,
the 06060 is being phased out and replaced with 06085 or 05973

mrfjsw294
08-28-2008, 03:09 PM
I agree.. very subjective. There is some dust but I run my secondary cali duster over it and all is good. I have a black car and this stuff is unbeleivable(sp). I dont see it being hard to work with at all, but the 06068(polish/swirl mark remover) can be a pain, especially when it isnt broken down all the way, but hey... I just hung up with my napa guy and you are right.... no MORE 06060 Extra Cut. :mad: He said he only has 4 of the 1 gallon bottles for $125 each. He said they zero'd out his previous order for it, so this may be the last they see of it. I'm on my way now to scoop up a gallon of this or maybe even two. Thanks for the info.

edit:
fyi,
the 06060 is being phased out and replaced with 06085 or 05973

Ive tried the 6085 the other day. Not near the product that the 6060 was, IMHO. I just dont like the way it feels for a compound. It has too much of a light polish feel if you ask me. Hard to explain.