PDA

View Full Version : Cut amount of pad versus cleaning agent

san~man
08-03-2006, 12:34 AM
I've read a good deal both here and on two other forums, but I have a question that I didn't really seem to find the answer to.

Is going with a higher (more cut) cleaning agent with a polishing pad that has less cut to it the same as going with a lighter cutting agent with a higher cut pad?

Say for instance, is using something like XMT 3 with a orange or blue Edge pad the same as using XMT 1 with say a green pad?

I seem to have removed about 80% of the scratches in my clearcoat using CG Revive (I had this prior to ordering my XMT, which still hasn't come in yet argh) and an orange light cut Edge pad. So, I guess I'm wondering what my next step is....use the XMT 3 and the orange pad, or try the blue pad first?

My order should come in tomorrow (according to Monique), so I'm trying to get my plan of attack together :awesome:

Racer Dude
08-03-2006, 04:52 AM
The XMT 3 is not a heavy compound. I would at least start with the orange light cutting pad if not the yellow pad. What you don't get out with the orange or yellow pad with the XMT 3, you can hide with the finishing glaze.

ScottB
08-03-2006, 06:23 AM
I always start with the white (Lake Country) middle ground polishing pad. I usually start with a moderate polish. I then increase to a heavier polish first as needed, before going to a more abrasive pad. Orange and yellow pads seem to always leave some haze and micromarring, and with white pads and 2.5 SSR, or Menzerna, I sometimes escape. Then I can jump to "jeweling" quite quickly with a finishing pad and polish.

If you start with Orange pad, you will likely need to do two additional steps to properly polish. Moving back to white with same or lower polish, and then onto the finishing pad and finishing polish.

san~man
08-03-2006, 01:25 PM
Killr
What is equivalent to the white LC pad in the Edge line? The blue?

As soon as my XMT gets here, should I start with the blue edge pad and the XMT 3? I don't believe that the XMT 1 will remove some of the scratches I have (at least the CG revive with an orange Edge light cut pad didn't).

When I'm satisfied with the finish, I'll move on to the PO85RD, and should I use the blue again, or go down to the white Edge pad?

Thanks for all the help BTW.

ScottB
08-03-2006, 06:21 PM
While the P085 will likely due what you want initially, I would start with XMT 2 first. Moving to 3 only as needed. High speed, take your time, and use some pressure. I believe the medium grade polishing pad by Edge is Orange ... the blue is the finishing pad. Correct ??

Surfer
08-03-2006, 06:31 PM
While the P085 will likely due what you want initially, I would start with XMT 2 first. Moving to 3 only as needed. High speed, take your time, and use some pressure. I believe the medium grade polishing pad by Edge is Orange ... the blue is the finishing pad. Correct ??On my Edge packages, looks like the white is the finishing pad, and the blue is a step below. Edge Cutting pads go from Orange -> Green -> Yellow in terms of cutting ability.

san~man
08-03-2006, 07:38 PM
While the P085 will likely due what you want initially, I would start with XMT 2 first. Moving to 3 only as needed. High speed, take your time, and use some pressure. I believe the medium grade polishing pad by Edge is Orange ... the blue is the finishing pad. Correct ??

Killr,
Like Surfer said, the Edge system goes like this, from least to most cutting ability:

White
Blue
Orange
Green
Yellow

That being said, I didn't get the XMT2, only the 1 and 3 in the package on AG. So, can I go with the 3 and use a pad with less cut since I don't have the 2?

Thanks again.