PDA

View Full Version : Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine (ONR)

Pages : [1] 2

sciontest
08-21-2008, 10:56 AM
From the sounds of it I’m going to have to get a gallon of Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine since it's a multi-task product. So I can use it as clay lube, quick detailer, and rinse less wash for the winter.
Can you Pro’s give me a review of your experience with Optimum No Rinse Wash with each mixture?

Clay Lube (How well did it work? Is it really slick? Does it work with any clay?)
Quick Detailer (Does it also give the car back its slickness? How well did it work? Does it have any protection characteristics?)
No Rinse Wash & Shine (Does it do what it says? Can a newbie like do it without jacking things up?) I’ve read the autogeek store description and all, but I want answers from the users that own and use this product daily or weekly. I’m trying to minimize by buying one product that does all three I would not have to buy clay lube, quick detailer, and rinse less wash for the winter. So far I’ve been buying mothers showtime as a instant detailer and dp clay lube.

dublifecrisis
08-21-2008, 11:50 AM
1. I've used it as a clay lube but I just used the QD mix I already had. I didn't feel like making a another bottle with the clay lube ratio when it's so practical already having a gallon of QD made. Works fine.
2. ONR used as a QD for me is more of a cleaning QD (dust, bugs, bird crap etc) I don't see where it makes the car any glossier than what it was before. Cleaner yes, but ONR QD is more of a touch up. I love the Optimum Instant Detailer and Gloss Enhancer which most definitley adds gloss.
3. Is this just the normal Optimum Car Wash shampoo? I've never used it but heard some very positive reviews on it and I would like to try it someday.

I'm not a pro but I am a big fan of Optimum products and it all started with ONR. The 32 oz bottle will go a fairly long way but I've since replenished my stock with the gallon.

nrengle
08-21-2008, 12:02 PM
I agree with Dublife. Great product.

I use it at QD strength for my clay lube as well.

I also use it as a drying agent when washing to help prevent water spotting. Mist it on the car as you're drying and will give you some added slickness (just in case there's any dirt missed), and helps get up those nasty little water spots that form no matter how quick you can be.

I've used it as a wash also, works well. It's a little strange on wheels at first, but after seeing a video over on Autopia on how to do wheels with it quickly and easily I love it. One word of caution though. It's definitely no designed to get all the road salt and crap off your car in the winter. You'll still need some regular ole hose action then

Bert31
08-21-2008, 12:29 PM
One word of caution though. It's definitely no designed to get all the road salt and crap off your car in the winter. You'll still need some regular ole hose action then

I use it all winter long and it did a wonderful job washing off road salt and such. Some people will prespray their car with ONR QD to "loosen up" the road salt and stuff. I may try that this winter but never once had a problem last year when I did not do so. No paint marring or anything.

Bert31
08-21-2008, 12:43 PM
Clay Lube (How well did it work? Is it really slick? Does it work with any clay?).

Works just fine as a clay lube, plenty slick enough so long as you use the correct dilution rate. It is on the bottle, don't recall what it is off the top of my head.

Quick Detailer (Does it also give the car back its slickness? How well did it work? Does it have any protection characteristics?).

ONR QD will give the car pretty good gloss but ONR QD is mostly a cleaning qd and does an outstanding job of that. If you want to amp up the gloss and slickness of the paint, go with Optimum Instant Detailer and Gloss Ehancer.

No Rinse Wash & Shine (Does it do what it says? Can a newbie like do it without jacking things up?) .

Just remember you need to wash and dry in sections. If you try to wash your entire car and then dry after the fact, the ONR will streak due to drying on the paint. I will generally wash the driver's side roof, driver's side windshield, driver's side windows and driver's side rear window and then dry that area. Then I will go to the passenger's side and wash the passenger's side roof, windshild, side windows and rear window and then dry that area. My next section will be the hood and front of the car, then the left front quarter panel and about half the driver's side door then I will move to the rest of the door and the rear driver's side quarter panel, then I will do the same on the passenger side and then the rear of the car.

For each section I am washing, as soon as I see dirt on my wash media, I rinse it clean in the rinse bucket and then pick up new ONR wash from the wash bucket. Don't be afraid to go over a section twice. If the panel is really dirty form road salt, it will need to be gone over two or more times. If when drying a section, your drying towel is dirty, that means you didn't wash the paint thoroughly.

When drying, I always like to use two towels. One to absorb most of the ONR solution and another for the final wipe up. I just get better results doing that.

ricka
08-21-2008, 01:51 PM
if you onr outside i'd prescribe to the washing panels and drying. if in the garage you can do the entire car as it won't evaporate beforehand.

love the onr for rinseless washing and spot cleaning.

the qd mix doesn't leave paint very glossy or smooth. always top with a designated qd for added gloss/slickness. oid is my fav but dg521 and fk425 are good too.

can be used for clay lube. usually clay while doing the rinseless wash.

btw, its not the greatest cleaning wheels. usually use a dg521/aw mix for that. leaves wheels shiny and slippery. dust wipes right off. good barrier against dreaded brake dust.

good luck. i think you'll really like it. the gallon will go a long way.

Chris Thomas
08-21-2008, 10:10 PM
For wheels you can use 4:1 APC and rinse with ONR. Scottwax has a video on Autopia showing process.

nrengle
08-22-2008, 12:07 AM
For wheels you can use 4:1 APC and rinse with ONR. Scottwax has a video on Autopia showing process.

That's the vids I seen. Works really well (tried it the other day on a Grand Prix)...

sal329
08-22-2008, 10:48 AM
I don't use it as clay lube
I use it as a QD when I need a lil more cleaning
On a dirty car I pre spay the panels with ONR at QD strength because I have it availabe in a gallon sprayer, then use a grout sponge and clean the car, wheels, tires and wheel wells. On cars that need extra I spray the wheels with a wheel cleaner or APC and rinse with ONR mix. I also like to make one pass with a towel and as the panel is still a lil damp spray with Opt Car Wax and do a final drying wipe (thanks Intergity for that tip) it works great.

sciontest
08-23-2008, 06:34 AM
I'm trying to see what's better ONR or DP 4 in 1. My main point of getting this product is to use it as a clay lube and quick detailer for light cleaning before i break out the bucket and foam gun.

sciontest
09-14-2008, 06:45 AM
i bought a bottle of ONR and made a quick detailer mixture 6oz. of ONR to 1gal. of water now it's been like a week now i noticed that when i made the mixture it was light blue and today i looked at my spray bottle it's pink is this normal?

Donald Greco
09-14-2008, 02:31 PM
I just went and looked at mine and it's sky blue, I think it's been in my trunk for over a month or more now.

Rsurfer
09-14-2008, 04:08 PM
i bought a bottle of ONR and made a quick detailer mixture 6oz. of ONR to 1gal. of water now it's been like a week now i noticed that when i made the mixture it was light blue and today i looked at my spray bottle it's pink is this normal?Next time mix your qd with distilled water. The clorine in the tap water is turning the color. Most see it become clear.

02whitetundra
09-14-2008, 06:54 PM
I did the same thing. Mine turned clear instead of pink though.

sciontest
09-15-2008, 04:32 PM
is it still safe to use or should i make a new batch up?