PDA

View Full Version : Question about sealant and cure times.

lilraver018
08-20-2008, 09:12 PM
I been looking into sealants for a bit now and i just had a question which i didn't really come up with a answer when i searched. When you guys put sealant on your paint do you guys let the car it in the garage due if it was left outside dust could bond to the paint?

Reason for the question is the garage is full of clutter and wouldn't be able to let the car set or even be moved inside. Would the solution to my problem would be using a sealant that has a very short cure time? Any suggestions. Thanks in advance

Rsurfer
08-20-2008, 09:23 PM
Not only dust, but moisture. Yes, get a sealant with a short cure time.

lilraver018
08-20-2008, 09:37 PM
What type of sealants would you suggest to me. Due to know i a lot of sealants on the market require at let 1-2 hour curing time. Any product out that where i can use wipe on wipe off?

Rsurfer
08-20-2008, 09:47 PM
Most sealants require 12-24 cure time. Do a search on sealants. The search button can be your best friend.

richy
08-20-2008, 10:38 PM
I'm a huge fan of Duragloss. If you use their 2 step process of 601 (left on, not removed) followed by 105, you can remove it once its hazed up. Go around the car with 601; then go around with 105 and by the time you're done, you should be good to go. Give it a swipe with your finger and ensure it wipes dry. Fantastic product, incredible durability.:cheers:

Waxmax
08-21-2008, 09:40 AM
Many of the acrylic based sealants require only 0 to 1 hour cure time. Within AG, going with the above DG recommendation is good. Outside AG, Gloss-It Finish (no cure), AJT (1 hr.) and WMF (1 hr.) are options. And, then there's Z using the zfx accelerator.

pbateman
08-21-2008, 11:10 AM
Not to hijack the thread but had a quick question, when you guys talk about 'cure time' does that mean the sealant is left on top of the car for say 8 hours before buffing it off, or do you buff it off once it hazes and the cure time is just the 8 of hours the car should be out of the rain after you've rubbed if off while the 'invisible layer' that's left after you buff off the excess cures.
I'm just a bit confused when people talk about for example, letting the sealant cure for 8-12 hours before applying carnauba wax, would that mean, put sealant on, let haze, then buff excess (kind of like regular wax), then wait 12 hours before using wax....or literally put sealant on, let haze, leave on car for 8 hours then buff off and put wax on....
Thanx!

Waxmax
08-21-2008, 11:25 AM
Cure time is the time it takes after buffing off the sealant or wax before it is completely "bonded" to the surface and a second coat may be applied. For sealants cure time is sometimes called the time for the polymer to crosslink.

Dry time is the time for the freshly applied LSP to haze.

pbateman
08-21-2008, 11:37 AM
Thanks for the clarification!!

Waxmax
08-21-2008, 12:07 PM
You're welcome. Cure and dry time are sometimes used interchangeably, but they are two different things.

After the sealant or wax is buffed off ...typically, the sealant needs time to crosslink and the wax needs to fully harden for them to bond to the surface properly and achieve their best durability. Rain or dew can disrupt the curing. High humidity can also make curing longer.

ScottB
08-21-2008, 04:00 PM
I have found that while manufacturers suggest 12-24 hours for curing, after 6-8 hours most seem like a done deal. This goes especially for my favs Four Star UPP, Wolfgang, and DP Surface Shield.

ncjeepguy910
11-03-2014, 07:38 PM
I forgot about the cure time...I clay bared my jeep then applied Wolfgang Paint Sealant...after about an hour I applied a carnauba wax...have I messed up? do I need to clay bar again and do it all over again? or am I ok? the Jeep looks fine, I'm just worried about the bonding and curing time...

any help will be appreciated.

Rsurfer
11-03-2014, 07:43 PM
I forgot about the cure time...I clay bared my jeep then applied Wolfgang Paint Sealant...after about an hour I applied a carnauba wax...have I messed up? do I need to clay bar again and do it all over again? or am I ok? the Jeep looks fine, I'm just worried about the bonding and curing time...

any help will be appreciated.

You should be ok. Old thread!

ncjeepguy910
11-03-2014, 07:46 PM
I know this is an old thread...where are the new ones..?
do you don't think I need to start over?

FUNX650
11-03-2014, 11:52 PM
I know this is an old thread...where are the new ones..?
do you don't think I need to start over?
Sealants "total cure time"...for 100% of their characteristics to be manifested...depends on the polymers the formulators choose to include them. It has been postulated that the biggest majority/(%) of many of the Sealants' polymers cross-linking processes occurs within the first 45-60 minutes.

Whether this be true or not...
Not allowing for the "total cure time" to proceed, unabatedly, probably will not yield 100% of the Sealants' benefits. Pretty darn close, though...as in horseshoes.

So...Even with the above in mind:
No...I really don't think you need to start over.

Next time around:
I'm sure "total cure time" will be on the front burner.

Bob