PDA

View Full Version : First Buffer

Pages : [1] 2

Kevzaz
08-18-2008, 11:53 PM
So I am planning on ordering my first ever buffer. :D But I need help deciding. There is so many different types of polishers. Then there are so many brands. Then there are so many series. So I don't even know where to start in buying a new polisher. I have always done things by hand. And I don't exactly have a lot of money to spend. So a good quality polisher that wont break the bank is needed. Please help. :buffing:

dionnfr
08-19-2008, 08:35 AM
As you start out a lot of people begin with the Porter Cable and the Flex, I personally like rotaries. Metabo and Makita are my choices.

dublifecrisis
08-19-2008, 11:31 AM
as a newb myself, I went with the Porter Cable 7424 that was in a kit. I got some extra pads. If you're nervous about the whole machine polishing thing, then the PC might be the best bet for you. If you're like me though, I read and watched so much prior to my purachase, that I felt more confident. I kinda wish I would have gone for the Flex DA, but the PC is a reliable, affordable tool that gives great results.

Good luck with your purchase.

Keith Harrison
08-19-2008, 12:30 PM
Just bought my first also (about a month ago) and after much thought, I went with the Flex. Man am I glad I did. I really can't imagine that the PC is that much safer to use and from many comments the Flex is a smoother operating machine even though more powerful. One thing everyone I think will agree on is the Flex makes faster work on about any correction. The time savings alone made it worth the extra $$ to me. The + I understand on the PC side is the ability to use 4" pads which helps in tight corners but you buy a PC kit and then immediately have to start retrofiting to make it at its best. (Forgive this statement if any of the kits come with 4")
What I can attest to is that the Flex/Menz kit removed pretty much all the swirls/scratches from my Porsche. And if any remained it was an oversight not an issue with the equipment. All I added to the order in terms of the polishing step is a couple extra/varying pads. I will note that I did not use the Glaze included in the kit as a fully corrected car needs no glaze. I plan to use that on my wifes tahoe since her swirls are light (car is new) and I'm too lazy to do a full correction on it right now.

I mean no disrespect to the PC or its owners, much of the work/pictures on this site were done with PC and were my motivation to proceed with at $500+ investment.

Either way, with the proper amount of time and polishing product, I think you can achieve like results, I just put a pretty high value on my weekend time.

Kevzaz
08-19-2008, 12:56 PM
So pretty much I have a choice between
This: Porter Cable 7424 & Foam Pad Kit - Car Buffer (http://www.autogeek.net/hk7424.html)
or This: Dual Action Flex Polisher Kit, Lake Country Pads, Flex XC 3401 VRG Buffer (http://www.autogeek.net/flex-xc3401-vrg-dual-action-6-5-inch-pad-kit.html)

The flex is a lot more expensive, perhaps a little more expensive that I can afford. And I do kinda need those pads. =p

Meghan
08-19-2008, 01:03 PM
So pretty much I have a choice between
This: Porter Cable 7424 & Foam Pad Kit - Car Buffer (http://www.autogeek.net/hk7424.html)
or This: Dual Action Flex Polisher Kit, Lake Country Pads, Flex XC 3401 VRG Buffer (http://www.autogeek.net/flex-xc3401-vrg-dual-action-6-5-inch-pad-kit.html)

The flex is a lot more expensive, perhaps a little more expensive that I can afford. And I do kinda need those pads. =p

If money is an issue and you are new to polishing go with your first choice! I still use my PC7424 and love it!

Keith Harrison
08-19-2008, 01:29 PM
So money being an issue I can certainly understand going with the PC and I appologize I did not catch that statement in your initial post. To anxious to praise the Flex I guess.

One thing I notice though is you have mentioned no polishing products, just the buffer/pads. Do you already have polish(s)? If not, you may consider a kit that includes Menz. or some other products.

Meghan
08-19-2008, 01:52 PM
A good inexpensive polish for beginners using PC is XMT. Menzerna is a great line but "A" he is on a budget, and "B" he is a newbie!

sciontest
08-19-2008, 02:04 PM
i'm new using a orbit buffer and i went with the PC7424 i would have to say i just used it on sunday and it was fun and easy to use. plus the price is right for a newbie detailer like me. i bought the PC7424 with 5.5 backing plate and CCS orange,white,gray, and blue pads.

A6Rox
08-19-2008, 02:14 PM
I completely agree with Meghan's post....I bought the XMT PC7424 kit and used it on my Audi last weekend. It did an awesome job and was easy to use. I also purchased some XMT360 to make it easier for a "half" detail. Although I absolutely love this forum, but everyone's situation is different. I chose the XMT after talking to Bobby at AG. It was between the XMT and the Wolfgang kit. How much detailing do you do?

Keith Harrison
08-19-2008, 03:27 PM
I'm a newbie also and I will freely admit that Meghan's (and tons of others on this forum) experience and ability to match hardware/products with various situations is far superior to mine. Heck I have 1 correction under my belt and endless reading. And a little belly(ok a lot) :D Listen to her over me without question!

This is my first experience with a DA also and I am just extremely pleased with the Flex/Menz purchase/results. Certainly all things must be factored in but I would not dismiss the combo on being a newbie alone.

Best of luck with the purchase. It is a lot of fun!

1hawaii50
08-19-2008, 03:47 PM
I just purchased my first polisher, and I went with the Flex/pad kit. I got lucky in that one of my co-workers who lives around the corner from me decided that we should split the cost, and share the buffer, so that's the route we went. I had already purchased the Wolfgang/Souveran kit, and added the Wolfgang TSW, and Finishing glaze. I also purchased some XMT 360 for use on my 10 year old Taurus. I just used the Flex a few days ago on my 07 Altima, and I am absolutely astonished with the results. All of my swirl marks are gone. My only problem, is I don't have enought time in the day to do the whole car at once. Over two days, I did the whole car except for the hood, and roof. Hopefully tomorrow I can finish those up!

Keith Harrison
08-19-2008, 03:58 PM
Over two days, I did the whole car except for the hood, and roof. Hopefully tomorrow I can finish those up!

Sounds like you need a convertible! Takes the roof right out of the equation. :D

ScottB
08-19-2008, 04:13 PM
Menzerna Porter Cable Intensive Shine Kit Free Bonus! (http://www.autogeek.net/menzerna-porter-cable-intensive-shine-kit.html)

The PC is a nice tool, nothing wrong with its use. It would not be me without suggesting Menzerna polishes to use with it.

Kevzaz
08-19-2008, 09:20 PM
Well see, I dont need the polishes, because I already have a bottle of megs #80 and #83. And I am perfectly happy with those two at the moment. But is Menzerna better than megs?