PDA

View Full Version : New baby needs a good mommy

Pages : [1] 2

AmySuzukiSX
08-02-2006, 01:32 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this board but have been reading lots of random topics (for days) ;) I just bought a new car, Black 06' Suzuki Aerio SX and I want to do things right this time! I was raised doing the wrong things thinking it was right.. like washing your car in the sun with dishwasher soap lol...What can I say? I'm asian and my parents are penny pinchers :mad: Anyways, I'm about to go buy a whole set of detailing products but want to make sure I'm not leaving anything out. But before I make any decisions, can someone give me a good regimen I should take... reading directions and different detailing sites really helped me but I'm still confused on a few things.

I want a good balance between gloss and durability but I would prefer durability. Since I just got this out of the lot, when should I starting waxing? And because it's brand new, should I skip any steps? How often should I wash and wax? Any tips for black cars?

I know I will be going with Meg's Gold for washing and prolly Klasse's AIO & SG or NXT (since it's at my local store). If you guys could recommend how many mitts, micro cloths, anything I must have, etc. I'll be doing 100% by hand since I don't have tons of money to dish out. Right now, I just want to go for the minimum and work my way up so that way I could test things out.

---------Please remember I'm completely new to this and I have never smelled, touch or even seen up close, detailing products!!! :p Thanks, I love you guys so much! :grouphug:

mtsl500
08-02-2006, 01:41 PM
if you live near a Big Lots you can get a lot of accessories/tools (i.e. brushes, chenille sponges, applictors) for reasonable prices there. I bought a bunch of Meguiars stuff from there.

As for products, I'm learning that each product has its pros and cons ... just try them or check out others who use them and figure out what look you like best.

AmySuzukiSX
08-02-2006, 01:51 PM
Actually I live in Southern California so I can go to Kragen's, Pep Boys, AutoZone, Wal-mart, Big Lots etc. but like I said, I wasn't as interested in detailing before so I don't know what each store carries. I think I will check out Kragen's later today :)

FloridaNative
08-02-2006, 02:12 PM
Welcome Amy!! It's great to see another lady here! congratulations on the new car. Poorboy's a is a great line for high quality with out too much money. Their products can be used in the full sun and they don't stain your trim either. :) Natty's blue is an excellent carnauba and is cheaper than Meguiar's NXT. As far as process, we have had alot of good discussions on this recently, so I will give you the links for you to read at your leisure. Welcome to the addiction. I know you will love it. :)

Neothin is a college student with a wealth of detailing knowledge and experience. He wrote a paper about car care for school and it was very thorough here is the link....

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1110&highlight=school+paper

You'll have to scroll down a bit but it's a really good read. :)

Here a good thread about black cars.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1315

I hope this helps you. Please feel free to ask any question you might have. This forum is full of great guys and gals who are eager to help out. Congrats again and welcome. :) Take care.

supercharged
08-02-2006, 02:16 PM
I would go with a sealant from Wolfgang. It is very close to the best carnauba, with durability for 7-8 weeks(label says 6-7 months). I don't like Wolfgang's wash though(It's fishy-rusty smell)...
Poorboy's or DP Xtreme is the way to go for wash.
As for micros - Guzzler for drying, Indigo for wax removal, Super plush for quick detailing, grey waffle weave for glass.

I would strongly advice to get a foam gun, it will help reduce chances of swirls.

Demonicus666
08-02-2006, 06:39 PM
HI Amy welcome to the board! Yes congrats on the new car. Id go iwth a sealant for durability wuch as poorboys EX and a carnuba wax such as P21S for a yellow carnuba for a good shine. Use a propter car wash tp clean your car first. I hope you have fun detaling your car it will be an addictoin. Dont forget you can wash your engine with an engine degreaser such as Meguaiir's Super Degreaser and top it off with Hyper Dressing which makes your engine super clean. You can also polish and clean your headlights and tailights and other plastic parts with Meguiars Plastic X polish. Dont forget to clean your tires with a proper tire cleaner such as Westley's Whitewall/Black wall cleaner and dress them up with a tire cleaner such as Armor All Tire Gel to make them look nice. Dont forget the interior also with a carpet/upholstery cleaner too and dont forget to clean and protect your vinly, plastic, and rubber with a good cleaner such as Armor All Protectant Gel. I hope you have fun dttailing your car and if you need help let me know ill be happy to help.

ScottB
08-02-2006, 06:40 PM
sheepskin mitts, a guzzler, a 1/2 dozen ultra plushes, and a 1/2 dozen all purpose are bear minimums. Clearkote makes a very good hand kit (http://www.autogeek.net/clkitforhaap.html), and its quite durable. The benefit is the hand polish has some fillers to hide swirls. I would also highly suggest clay.

Wash ---- Clay ---- Polish ---- Protect

AmySuzukiSX
08-03-2006, 07:00 AM
Thanks everyone for the tips! It's great too see other girls into automotive stuff (I'm the only girl member in the car club at my college!) :) I just took a closer look at the car today and it came out of the lot in horrible shape! I guess because I took it at night which hid all the nasties :P I went to Kragen's today and found that they lacked most, if not all the products from this site.. total bummer cause I was kinda hoping to find maybe a nice wax, sealant or anything(well Meguiars and Mothers are good, right?)! I did, however, find lots of micro/washing accessories but I didn't dwell too long into them thinking they were sub-par to the Cobra line. Anywho, I met my friend who's into car detailing and has lots of success with Klasse so I will probably get that for sure. I'm still debating on waxes - Soveran, Natty's, P2S1S, and Wolfgang. But because I love killrwheels' black glossy vette so much, I might just go clearkote all the way!

Few questions.. I was reading the guide to Klasse's AIO/SG and it says to let it cure for 8-12 between coats. Does that mean I put on AIO and let it cure and do the same with SG or apply SG right after AIO, and allow the SG to cure? and how many coats of each should I apply? I read that if you apply Soveran over AIO & SG, you have to let that cure for 8-12 hours? And you can apply even more coats!!! I'm really confused on the timing and # of apps. When I do let it cure, does that mean I can't use my car at all? When I do reapply coats of whatever, do I have to clean it again or just reapply on the spot? I park my car outside so will the sun eat up everything if I don't give it enough time to set? Sorry for be such a ditz!! I just want to get it right the first time and it doesn't sound right if I let :D

Once again, Thank you so much, I won't let you guys down!

3Dog
08-03-2006, 10:10 AM
In Tennessee "detailers" are few and far between. CA is a different story. I believe if you did a search here and other forums you would have no problem finding someone close to you that would love to share his/her experience.
Words are great...seeing is better...but nothing compares to hands on.

ScottB
08-03-2006, 06:25 PM
Klasse AIO needs no appreciable curing time, the SG is best left for 4-8 hours and two coats are optimum. Its a bugger, so I suggest a small hairspray bottle for the SG and spray and immediately wipe off. Use Quikshine or Poorboys Spray and Gloss to add some addtl "pop" but otherwise its quite bulletproof.

darksparkz
08-04-2006, 01:17 AM
AIO Application:
1) Apply AIO
2) Wait about 10-15 minutes for it to dry.
3) Buff off.
4) Wait about 12-24 hours for it to cure.

SG Application:
1) Apply SG.
2) Wait about 20-30 minutes for it to dry.
3) Buff off.
4) Wait about 12-24 hours for it to cure.
5) Apply SG.
6) Wait about 20-230 minutes for it to dry.
7) Buff off.
(Repeat for 3rd layer if necessary)

Definitions:
1) Dry: Letting the Klasse SG dry onto your paint, requires buffing off. Also known as "Glaze".
2) Cure: The process where SG hardens onto your paint. Usually requires 12-24 hours.

More info:
http://autopia-carcare.com/klasse-car-wax-guide.html

I know, it was a tad confusing for my first time with Klasse as well.

One layer of AIO is enough for new cars, maybe two layers if your paint still looks oxidized. Some people go as far as 3 layers for SG, I would recommend 2 layers, since the 3rd layer isn't a noticeable improvement. Klasse SG is actually quite hard to work with, you have to apply it extremely thin, to the point where you can barely see it.

When SG or AIO is curing, I would recommend parking it in the shade, and try not to use it if possible. If you have to park it outside, I recommend using Quick Detailer right before you apply your next layer of SG, as to wipe off the dust or other residue.

I'd say getting one wash mitt is fine, even the Meguiar's wash mitts are of high quality. Some people like using two mitts, one for the top of the car and one for the lower half. I'd just grab a few microfiber towels for windows and drying the car, simple and easy. Maybe get a brush or a simple cotton towel for the tires/wheels.

I would think AutoZone or Murrays would have a nice supply of Meguiar's. Klasse is typically ordered online, while Meguiar's and Mother's can be found in auto stores.

Meghan
08-04-2006, 07:04 AM
Here is a good place to start reading ...
http://www.autogeek.net/detailingtips.html
And for Klasse read this...
http://www.autogeek.net/klasse-usa.html

Reddwarf
08-04-2006, 07:28 PM
Welcome aboard Amy! Like FN said the Poorboy's (http://www.autogeek.net/poorboysworld.html) products are a great value. I also think the DP line (http://www.autogeek.net/detailers-pride.html)is a great value. It is also really hard to beat the quality and value of the Meguir's line. A nice thing about the Meguire products is they are readily available at local stores. I can't recommend the Foam Gun (http://www.autogeek.net/foam-gun.html)enough. It's a bit expensive, but well worth it. I hear the new DP soap is great with the Foam gun as is the Poorboy's soap, but personally, I like the Meguir's Gold which can be found at Costco for really cheap.

Good luck detailing. You came to the right place. This forum has so many good people with a lot of expertise. And AG is a great place to buy products. They are trustworthy and customer focused.

AmySuzukiSX
08-08-2006, 02:46 AM
Hey guys,

Thanks for all the replies and help! AG has one of the nicest boards ever :) I went to ACE Hardware to buy some spraypaint for my engine and came across the 303 fabric guard and protectant. I read how good it works so I applied it last night on my seats and tested it this morning and it beads water like crazy! I also purchased Meg's QD and Quick Interior for $6.59 a piece (comes with 5$ rebate if purchased together!). I know the 303 protectant acts the same way as Meg's Quick Interior but if I decide I don't like 303's matte finish and want more sheen, can I layer Meg's right over it? Will it improve the protection or react wierd to it?

I went to Pepboys and got 2 sheepskin mitts, 2 micro glass towels, stoner's glass, and Meg's Gold car wash. The sheepskin mitts say they're genuine; look and feel super soft but does it matter if they're not name brand (I forgot the brand)? I got them for 6$ each so I thought it was a good deal but I'm just worried it might not give me the same kind of wash as a mitt from AG. Same goes for the micro glass towels. Does it make a big difference?

Here's what my exterior kit looks like:
Meg's Gold Wash
Klasse AIO
Klasse SG
Natty's Blue
Meg's QD
Total Towel Kit

I'm planning to get a clay set when I get the funds but for now, is this sufficient? Let me know if I'm lacking. Also, I haven't purchased a Guzzler yet so I was wondering if I could use the all purpose towels and an air compressor instead? Thanks again :D

aceshigh73
08-08-2006, 08:14 AM
Amy,

Take what I say with a grain of salt because I know 1/10th of some of the people here, but here goes...

The Guzzler is pretty good.. I just used it for the first time this weekend... I'd say get one or 2.... and the AG Miracle Towels are great for removing wax/sealants...

I question your choice of Klasse SG as your sealant.. I know its been debated, but from what I heard/read its a chore to deal with.... maybe you should try EX-P (or EX if you are going to top it with carnuba (NB).)
Also, maybe you should wait for the new DP Sealant to come out... Im not sure how they are "touting" the product... Long lasting, or more gloss, etc....
Keep in mind the sun, thats why I went with EX-P...

The mitts are probably sufficient... Neo buys his at Wally World... and that place is synonymous with cheap.. and he find them good for his needs.....