PDA

View Full Version : Rim Challange

Keith Harrison
08-17-2008, 10:51 AM
Guys, I have a rim challenge I'm hoping you can help with.

Photo below. On all 4 of my rims (front of course worse) there is a spot about the size of 2 fists where apparently the dealership washed the car and did not dry the rims and all the tire/brake goodies just puddled and dried. It has a sticky consistancy and I can't get my hands in well enough to work on it but I can touch it.

I use P21S Gel but its not strong enough to touch it, and I have tried a bug/tar remover with 0 luck. I know there is a chemical somewhere that will take care of this but as always don't want to damage the rims.

Ordering Fuzion today (yeah...) and would love to add something to the order that would remove this spot from my otherwise nice rims.

Please ignore the drop in the middle, it will come right off. I just washed the car and pulled into the garage. It takes a few touchups til everything dries.

Not to pile on questions, but along that line, what do you guys do to dry the inside portion of the rim? I hesitate to use a blower because i work on my car early Sat or Sun and dont want my neighbors hating at 7am....

Thx,

Keith

ScottB
08-17-2008, 11:12 AM
it could be the residue from a tire weight, those that stick on. Hard to remove without removing the wheel to get better access to the barrels. An EZDetail brush and possibly Poorboys Spray/Rinse could help a bit otherwise.

EZ Detail Brush, E-Z Detail Brushes, Wheel Brush, Tire Brush, Detailing Brush, motorcycle brush (http://www.autogeek.net/ezdetailbrush.html)
a must have for barrels on wheels like yours.

Keith Harrison
08-17-2008, 11:18 AM
I forgot to mention that I do have a powerstick that I can use to reach/wash the rim if I could just find a chemical that would loosen it up.

ScottB
08-17-2008, 11:20 AM
Spray/Rinse is very powerful and I would not use it routinely however. It should help here but please follow the directions properly. I dont know the powerstick but assume its similar. The best part of the EZ Detail offering is its large head which quickly assumes a smaller size to get around brake calipers like yours.

Keith Harrison
08-17-2008, 11:58 AM
it could be the residue from a tire weight, those that stick on. Hard to remove without removing the wheel to get better access to the barrels. An EZDetail brush and possibly Poorboys Spray/Rinse could help a bit otherwise.

EZ Detail Brush, E-Z Detail Brushes, Wheel Brush, Tire Brush, Detailing Brush, motorcycle brush (http://www.autogeek.net/ezdetailbrush.html)
a must have for barrels on wheels like yours.

Just your mention of an adhesive made me think about trying Goof off and what do you know, it came off with little to no scrubbing.

Thanks for the response. :cheers::righton:

K

Keith Harrison
08-17-2008, 12:10 PM
AG should look into carrying the Powerstick. It's a nice product. It is the only detailing item that I have purchased from other than AG since I bought my Porsche and found the site. (Ok I did by Zep window cleaner for $10 from Lowes. Not exactly Fuzion...)

Video Demos (http://www.acepowerstick.com/Video_Demos.html)