PDA

View Full Version : Best sealant

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

robdawg
08-02-2006, 03:49 AM
I am looking for the stongest sealant, that will provide the best protection for uv rays and dirt. I live in phoenix and drive a lifted truck. It wont fit in my garage so its in the sun most of the day. I am on and off construction sites and at the lake, it gets dusty. I wash it every week. Protection is more important to me than shine. You guys are best at this, what should I try.

ScottB
08-02-2006, 06:07 AM
Klasse twins (AIO and SG) are bulletproof. Poorboys Ex-P and DP Shield Shine are easier to use but will need to be applied more often.

Driven Auto Detail
08-02-2006, 08:29 AM
I 2nd the Klass SG. I applied it to my car last October before winter set in. Bulletproof is a good way to describe it. Over the winter when I couldn't wash my car by hand I had to go through the local car wash. I did this every 3 weeks on average. This spring my car was still beeding when I went to do a full detail on it (April). The only downfall is that it can be hard to work with. But just have some QD around in case you are having trouble removing it and you'll be fine.

3Dog
08-02-2006, 09:04 AM
I am a big fan of Werkstatt Prime Strong & Acrylic Jett. That being said, I experiment with vehicles that I own. My truck currently has XMT Glaze topped with Souveran paste. Besides HOGtailing I own a company that works on new construction homes and my truck visits constructions site 3 to 5 times a week.
This current combo has been on about 10 weeks and is normally QD'd with 425. ( But then again I do experiment )
I do not post my truck thinking show quality but rather for the efforts of daily adventures. One day I may get a pic in the sun.
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e13/3Dog/IMGP0146.jpg

wytstang
08-02-2006, 09:41 AM
Klasse twins are bullet proof but like mentioned can be a pain to work with (SG must be applied thin). A great carnuba that is also bullet proof is Collinite people have gottin up to 5 months.

Surfer
08-02-2006, 10:42 AM
Klasse twins are bullet proof but like mentioned can be a pain to work with (SG must be applied thin). A great carnuba that is also bullet proof is Collinite people have gottin up to 5 months.
Yup I have collinite 476 from a marine store, used it on our waverunners etc. But on cars, it actually looks pretty decent (still prefer Natty's Blue or Souveran) and it is a bullet proof paste wax. I think I'm going to use it on all our other vehicles b/c I don't have the time or patience do really detail each one, put enough time into my own suv alone lol. I've talked to people who had 476 and the other Collinite stuff last longer then a sealent through the winter which is very impressive for a nuba. If you use a good spray like AW or 425 to top it you'll have a very wet and reflective look.

abrcrombe
08-02-2006, 11:36 AM
Killr, you said that you apply SG in a spray bottle? Do you spray it and let it sit or do you use an applicator and spread it onto the surface? I am also with the consensus that aio/sg kicks butt!!:righton:

P1et
08-02-2006, 12:09 PM
Can someone tell me what a "QD" is?

Driven Auto Detail
08-02-2006, 12:13 PM
Yep, it stands for quick detailer.

mtsl500
08-02-2006, 12:17 PM
Killr, you said that you apply SG in a spray bottle? Do you spray it and let it sit or do you use an applicator and spread it onto the surface? I am also with the consensus that aio/sg kicks butt!!:righton:

I read that post too and bought atomizer/mister bottles ... they look like this

http://www.containerstore.com/MEDIA/ProductCatalog/3903/3903.jpg

I will state that I bought these assuming these are what he was recommending. They have worked pretty well for me.

You can buy them in 1oz, 2oz, 4oz and 8oz sizes.

Driven Auto Detail
08-02-2006, 12:29 PM
I'm also interested in the SG in a spray bottle method. That would make it a little easier to apply.

abrcrombe
08-02-2006, 12:58 PM
mtsl500 - how do you apply? Spray and spread?

mtsl500
08-02-2006, 01:19 PM
spray (number of sprays depend on panel size, between 2 and 4) and then spread with the PC ... I know the first time I did it on my old beater I got a coat down with none of the nightmare problems I feared based on what I read from other sites. I was really sticking with 2 sprays to a panel which left some uncovered areas on the hood and roof ... just some trial and error got me to figure out I needed more to adjust depending on panel size. I also have followed advice to put down multiple coats, which is a great cya in case I miss a spot, because i spray different areas on different coats.

A word of advice with the mister bottles, don't fill them to the top, probably no more than 3/4 of the way. They need some air in the bottle from my experience to push the mister head back up, otherwise it seems to stick to the bottom till you get some space for air in the bottle.

ScottB
08-02-2006, 06:42 PM

(use little travel size hairspray bottle) spray and immediately wipe off. If you get a stubborn spot then you respritz and rewipe. Werkstatt and Zaino are likely the only two other lines as durable. I find Colonite to be rather boring looking.

P1et
08-03-2006, 08:20 AM
Killrwheels: can you explain to me what makes Poorboys easier to use than, for example, Poorboys Ex-P?