PDA

View Full Version : nubee to the detail world. am i missing stuff for my project?

sciontest
08-12-2008, 08:14 AM
Hi guys and gals of autogeek I’m an automotive technician for a private owned shop and don’t have a clue where to start on a detail job. My mind set on cleaning my cars was a bucket with car wash, hose with nozzle, and a wash mitt or sponge. I know I was washing all wrong but I really didn’t care much since I would swap out cars at lease once a year. (I could not keep a car more than 6 months really bad habit)
Now I have a car that I’m going to keep for a while. I bought an 2006 vehicle brand new so I had it so far for 2 ½ years now and I’m still in love with the car. Since new I would bring it into the local detail shop every 6 months to get the paint resealed.
Now I’ve decided to take on the challenge of detailing my car. This is the list of equipment/chemicals that I have on hand.

3 Orange Light Cutting CCS 5.5 inch
3 Blue Finessing CCS DA 5.5 inch
Porter Cable 7424
2 Gray Pads 5.5 Inch
2 White Pads 5.5 Inch
1 DA Backing Plate 5 inch As said I’m new to this so what is the correct process to do a nice detail job?

Wash with two bucket method and remove bug and tar (Poorboys Bug Squash)
DP Detailing Clay & Lube
Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover 3.0
P21S Gloss-Enhancing Paintwork Cleanser
3M Imperial Hand Glaze
Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0Is this the correct order with the products that I have to do a nice job? And what pad do use with each product that I have?
Please reply to me with anything that I’m missing to do the correct job.
:autowash:Feed back please

ScottB
08-12-2008, 09:21 AM
your pads and buffer choice are fine but you seem to have some overlap on the products.

for proper prep you want to wash, clay, polish, and protect.

Polishing -- Wolfgang 3.0 Polish and Glaze
Protect --- Wolfgang 3.0 Sealant

the P21S Paint Cleansing lotion is not needed when polishing, but can be used in place of polishing on a well prepped automobile as it wont really abrade the surface just clean it chemically.

As for pads it will depend on finish when started:
Swirl Remover --- orange then white pad
Glaze --- finishing pad
Wax/Sealant --- can be done by hand or lightest (blue) finishing pad.

sal329
08-12-2008, 11:32 AM
Wash the car with 2 buckets, 2 grit guards and your choice of mit
Soap: Meguiars, Duragloss, Optimum
Clay the car Meguiars, Pinnacle or Wolfgang
Polishes: Meguiars 83, 82 and 80 or the Wolfgang duo or Optimum or Danase Swirl Abolisher or Prima Swirl (there are so many, I have not tried Wolfgang or Opt but hear many great things)
Glaze if you choose: Poorboys Black hole or Danase Wet Glaze or Prima Amigo
Sealant: FK1 Hi Temp wax or Duragloss 105 or Meguiars NXT 2.0
Wax if you choose, Im still experimenting with carnaubas
A good Quick detailer is good to have Meguairs Ultimate Quick detailer or FK1 #425
Optimum Spray Wax is great to have, use it once a month or every other month after a wash

After car is washed and clayed, start with the least aggressive polish on a white pad try it on a test area see how it does, increase to a more aggressive polishj if needed, still need more umph try an orange pad with least aggressive and go up from there until you get the result you want.
Gray pad is what I use for Glazes
Blue pads for sealants
I would also get some green pads they are great when using an AIO (opt poliseal)
Lots of good microfiber towels and a lot of cheap ones from Walmart (cheap ones for interior, wheels and exhaust)

sciontest
08-12-2008, 06:14 PM
Thanks for all the advice from what I understand. Without buying anymore chemicals.
1. 2 bucket wash method (Meguiars)
2. Clay vehicle (DP Clay and lube)
3. Swirl Remover (Wolfgang Total Swirl) Use PC7424 start with White CCS Pad then check result if needed move to Orange CCS Pad when results are to liking finish swirl remover with White CCS Pad
4. Glaze (3M Imperial Hand Glaze) Use PC7424 with Gray CCS Pad (let me know is this even a good glaze to use or should I just skip this step?)Feed back please
5. Paint Sealant (Wolfgang Paint Sealant 3.0) Use PC7424 with Blue CCS Pad
Let me know if this sounds like a good plan.Feed back please