PDA

View Full Version : Hello from a new member!

Blade
08-11-2008, 11:16 PM
Hi, I think the detailing bug has caught me. I just bought the PC 7424 kit from autogeek.net a couple of weeks ago, and did my first polishing over the weekend. I used a Meguiar's polish that I already had but it didn't go very well, the swirl marks are still there so I may need a stronger polish. I'm thinking of purchasing the XMT Intermediate Swirl Mark Kit. I did end up waxing the whole car using the PC and can't believe how much easier it is on my shoulders!!

ScottB
08-12-2008, 09:28 AM
hand polishing cannot compare to machine, and thats not even taking the toll on the body into account. Try the Menzerna polishes and I think you will be quite impressed also.

sal329
08-12-2008, 11:20 AM
What meguiars products are you using? What pads are you using? Welcome to AGO

Blade
08-13-2008, 12:54 AM
Sorry I meant Mother's (but had Meguiar's on my mind for some reason...). I used Mother's California Gold Sealer & Glaze which I thought would be enough to at least hide the swirl marks on a 6 month old Audi. I bought it 3 months ago, and I applied it manually before putting on Meguiar's Hi-Tech Wax (also manually).

This weekend I used the PC 7424 to apply the Mother's on the hood using a white CCS pad. Though my son thought there was a lot less marks, I can still see some that were left behind, a few of them deeper and longer than others. Seeing I didn't eliminate or hide the swirl marks, I just proceeded to wax the entire car using the PC.

I noticed last night that Pinnacle has the Advanced formula totally different from their XMT Swirl Remover line, which they call the Pinnacle Twins. Would this be a good product to try first on a 6-month old Audi? Or should I try the Menzerna first as you suggested?

I am also thinking that I should get the orange pads, correct?

karburn
08-13-2008, 09:59 AM
Welcome! :welcome: I've been experimenting like you with the orbital, and I'm making progress on the swirls on my car. I've tried to avoid the temptation to "get'em all at once", so I've been using a LC white polishing pad and trying different polishes, rather than go to an orange cutting pad and do too much too fast. But then, I've got 21 yr old single stage paint to work with! Right now I'm using Mequiars #83 followed up by their #7 glaze and NXT 2.0 wax. DEEP shine.:welcome: