PDA

View Full Version : Menzerna IP help

VF-x
08-11-2008, 01:33 AM
I was using Menzerna IP with a LC orange pad on my UDM to remove some swirls on the hood of my 01 330i. Unfortunately, the car is titanium silver and I couldn't see the progress very well in the light. Well, at night, I noticed that the swirls weren't completely removed. I'm not terribly experienced using the polisher and polishes themselves, so I was wondering if I was doing things wrong.

Here's my process:
- misted pad with XMT pad conditioner and applied IP in an 'X'
- spread the polish before turning on the polisher set at 5
- polish until the IP becomes nearly invisible
- stop polisher and removed residue with microfiber towel
- repeat steps for each section of the hood

A few things come to mind:
1. Am I using the right products (polish and pad combination)?
2. Am I using the products properly?
3. Have I polished long enough to breakdown the polish?
4. Should I be using SIP instead?

Any help would be grateful.

loudog2
08-11-2008, 07:40 AM
I just detailed my mom's 2003 infiniti I35 with the Menzerna IP w/LC orange pad using my PC. I was happy with the results. First off, how bad are the swirls? When I did my first pass, almost all the light swirls were gone. The mid-heavy swirls still remained. They took another pass. I could've used a more aggressive pad(LC yellow), but time was an issue. If you go more aggressive, you will probally need to do another step with a finishing polish(106FA or 85RD) w/a white LC pad.

The IP and LC orange pad are a good combo. Remember to move slow, about an inch a second. If the swirls are to heavy. You could go up to the SIP w/yellow or orange pad. But you will need that other step with a finishing polish.

ScottB
08-11-2008, 07:58 AM
orange LC pads are quite abrasive and will leave some micromarring. I always followup using the same polish and a white pad next to try and remove it. You can then jewel the paint with a finishing pad and polish as desired.

loudog2
08-11-2008, 09:32 AM
orange LC pads are quite abrasive and will leave some micromarring. I always followup using the same polish and a white pad next to try and remove it. You can then jewel the paint with a finishing pad and polish as desired.
Then I'm one of the few. I've done a couple cars with the IP and orange LC pad. All of them had no marring, but none of them were black, most grey or silver. Could it have looked a little better with a finishing polish w/white pad after? Yes! If it was my own car I would've used the 106fa or 85RD after. Or if the car was black, I would've. But most of the stuff I do is for friends and family. I was looking hard at the paint the first time with IP and a orange pad. Didn't notice any marring.

ASPHALT ROCKET
08-11-2008, 09:48 AM
I can almost guarentee you there is some type of marring from the orange pad/sip combo. This should always be followed up with a finishing polish-1066ff or 85rd on a finishing pad-blue.

loudog2
08-11-2008, 10:47 AM
I can almost guarentee you there is some type of marring from the orange pad/sip combo. This should always be followed up with a finishing polish-1066ff or 85rd on a finishing pad-blue.
I was talking about IP and a orange pad. I would definitely follow up with a finishing polish if I used SIP.

ASPHALT ROCKET
08-11-2008, 10:56 AM
You should follow up after IP also or any polish with an orange pad.

Matt S.
08-11-2008, 12:30 PM
IP is very mild stuff and won't remove any serious defects. You'll want to step it up to a stronger polish, and as stated, finish with a softer pad / polish combo.

VF-x
08-11-2008, 03:13 PM
Thanks for the info.

I didn't notice any marring from the polish. But then again, its a silver car.

The defects are not very visible, and are virtually invisible in the day. I know I'm being an*l about it.

Based on the replies, here's what I think I'm going to do:
- Somehow remove the sealant and wax I've applied
- Go over again with IP and orange pad
- Go over with Micro Polish and a blue or gray pad
- Inspect closely before moving onto sealant and wax

Can someone recommend how I can remove the sealant and wax? Will Klasse AIO remove them?

Thanks!

TS204891
08-11-2008, 03:20 PM
The Klasse AIO should remove the previous sealant.. but then what will you use to remove the Klasse AIO?

ASPHALT ROCKET
08-11-2008, 03:58 PM
The IP with the orange pad is going to remove your sealant.

Rsurfer
08-11-2008, 04:41 PM
I would recommend you doing an alcohol or Prep Sol wipe down before and after polishing.

VF-x
08-12-2008, 10:13 AM
I'm going to try the polishing again when I get back from my business trip. I'll report back when I get everything done.

Thanks for all the advice.

VF-x
08-16-2008, 11:50 AM
I'd like to thank everyone for their input. As recommended, I went over the hood again with IP + orange pad again this morning. I took extra care to move slower this time, and to do smaller sections (I was aiming for 12"x12" where possible). And in the early morning light, I began to see the results I was expecting the first time. No more swirls, webbing, etc.

For good measure, I applied Micro Polish + gray pad to really bring out the glow, and I've just topped it off with Automagic Awesome Gloss, with plans to apply Natty's Red after some curing time for the sealant.

Overall, I'd say things worked out after all. I just had to apply some common sense, and not rush. I didn't see patience in the polishing guides, but I think it should be added :)

I will add 'after' pictures when I can figure out how to do it here.

Thanks again!

Matt S.
08-18-2008, 11:33 AM
on the nav bar theres a link to upload photos
or here is a link-

AutogeekOnline Gallery - Login - Powered by PhotoPost (http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/uploadphoto.php)