PDA

View Full Version : How long does wax stay on

Pages : [1] 2

tnbug4me
08-07-2008, 02:07 PM
If a car is garaged, never in wet weather. The car is kept clean and quik detailed about once a week.
Does the life of wax stay on vehicle longer?
Thanks.

pricha00
08-07-2008, 02:39 PM
I would say those conditions would really lengthen the staying power of any type of paint protectant. I think the less actual washing, and the aggressiveness of the soap used would be a big factor as well.

Pat.

Jimmie
08-07-2008, 06:08 PM
I would say those conditions would really lengthen the staying power of any type of paint protectant. I think the less actual washing, and the aggressiveness of the soap used would be a big factor as well.

Pat.
:iagree::whs: plus no UV breakdown or other harsh elements in your case.

ScottB
08-07-2008, 06:09 PM
generally a wax lasts about two months max, and a paint sealant up to six months depending on atmosphere. In your case you should see max and might even see a little more.

tnbug4me
08-08-2008, 07:51 AM
Everyone thanks for replies.

Matt S.
08-08-2008, 09:01 AM
I agree with what was stated above. Since your car won't be taking a beating from sunlight, that will enhance durability, but IMO the biggest factor is acid and whatever else is in rain that seems to greatly diminish durability. If you're using a good car wash soap that won't leave any residue (Pinnacle, DP, even Meguiar's Gold Class is very good), you'll see quite a bit of life out of your coat of wax/sealant.

conan777
08-08-2008, 11:10 AM
Just to add my 2 cents. I agree with those posted above however in my experience the climate may play a part as well. hot summer weather will wear down and evaporate a wax much faster than nice cool spring or fall weather so adjust accordingly. You may want to try using a spray wax after your wash instead of the quick detailer or alternate the two. I personally like Optimums Spray wax.

Bunky
08-08-2008, 03:47 PM
I agree with what was stated above. Since your car won't be taking a beating from sunlight, that will enhance durability, but IMO the biggest factor is acid and whatever else is in rain that seems to greatly diminish durability. If you're using a good car wash soap that won't leave any residue (Pinnacle, DP, even Meguiar's Gold Class is very good), you'll see quite a bit of life out of your coat of wax/sealant.

If you go to the non-detailing orienting forums, the less informed are preaching they get 6 to 9 months from OTC products. It is an interesting question.

You have a Nu Finish user that swears to 9 months (people believing) and still beading! When you say 2 months, this sure does push people to want to believe something else.

ScottB
08-09-2008, 07:36 AM
since an average paint job should last several years without much maintenace, its not hard to see why some would suggest these long lengths of time with an OTC product. Heck some only wash twice a year and consider the paint clean and refreshed.

pricha00
08-09-2008, 08:17 AM
Funny thing is sometimes those cars that are only washed once or twice a year have less swirling and marring once the car is washed. Yeah they look like crap 98% of the time but for one or two days a year they look excellent.

Pat.

scottgt
08-10-2008, 12:52 AM
there is really no right answer...there are so many variables

Rsurfer
08-10-2008, 05:25 PM
If a car is garaged, never in wet weather. The car is kept clean and quik detailed about once a week.
Does the life of wax stay on vehicle longer?
Thanks.
No question your wax will last longer. Try using a spray wax every other week and you will probably get at least 6 mos. Btw what wax are you using? And whats under the wax?

tnbug4me
08-10-2008, 06:32 PM
No question your wax will last longer. Try using a spray wax every other week and you will probably get at least 6 mos. Btw what wax are you using? And whats under the wax?

I have a-glaze underneath the Pinnacle Sig Series 11 Carnauba Paste Wax topped with Pinnacle Liquid Souveran.

Rsurfer
08-10-2008, 07:02 PM
Sounds good, what color is your paint?

tnbug4me
08-10-2008, 09:41 PM
Sounds good, what color is your paint?

Thanks, paint color is gray.