PDA

View Full Version : First Detail of Brand New Car (Questions)

klklett
08-06-2008, 08:51 AM
I just purchased a brand new car and would like to clean it up this weekend. Here is what I am planning on doing:

1. Wash with DG901
2. Clay if necessary
3. Wash again with Dawn (is this necessary on a new car?) I am assuming that it is OK to use dawn as a wax/sealant remover?
4. Dry
5. Seal with 4* UPP
6. Protect with Souvern Paste

I would like to complete steps 1 and 2 on Thursday and then complete 3-6 on Sunday. Do I have to wash it again on Thursday after claying or would it be fine to wait to wash it again until Sunday?

When applying the 4* UPP how long should I wait before removal?

I also plan on following up the wax with FK425 in hopes of limiting the amount of dust that the finish attracts as I live down a gravel road. Will the FK work with the Souvern Paste or will it remove it? Would it be better to use something else as a QD?

Thank you!

rwisejr
08-06-2008, 09:40 AM
You really dont require the dawn wash or you can use it instead of the DG901 after the clay I would use a light finishing polish to prep the surface before the 4*UPP.After the application of the UPP I would waitover night then do an ONR or regular wash with the DG901 before the application of the Souveran. The FK425 should work fine

klklett
08-06-2008, 09:52 AM
I was thinking of waiting until the fall to do a full detail including polish. This would give me time to buy a PC and other accessories. This car is also brand new with very few blemishes therefore I was going to wait before polishing. Are you saying that if I don't polish then the UPP won't adhere properly to my finish?

Do I remove the UPP after letting it sit for 15 mins or so or do I apply the UPP let it sit overnight and then remove it? Thanks again!

sal329
08-06-2008, 11:35 AM
I would wait till you can do it all in one day or 2 days back to back. I would not clay the car then drive it for a few days without any protection on it.
I would wash with dawn
clay
Wash the car with ONR quick and easy
maybe add a glaze like Danase Wet GLaze, CLear Kote RMG or Poo Boys Black hole
Then use the 4 star
FK is a great QD you will be fine using that on the car as often as you like.
Let UPP sit for about 15 minutes then with your finger tip swipe just a small quick swipe over the pain if it comes right off then it is ready to be removed. You can wait over night or just wait to the next wash to add some Souveran. Use the ONR it is so easy and fast. After you get your PC then you can add the polishing step.

ScottB
08-06-2008, 01:52 PM
there is absolutely no need for Dawn in car care, its not strong enough to remove a sealant and no proof it can actually remove all of a waxed surface. It is also highly alkaline and can harm weatherstripping especially when used consistently.

Wash (any car wash) --- clay --- rewash as wanted --- polish or paint cleanse --- protect

klklett
08-06-2008, 02:33 PM
Thanks for the advice! I now have a decent plan put together. We'll see how it turns out!