PDA

View Full Version : Manzerna 91E or 106FF???

Pages : [1] 2

lempilot
08-05-2008, 10:58 PM
I have a 2004 toyota 4runner in black. I bought it used, consequently, I have light to moderate swirls and spiderwebbing caused by poor washing technique and automatic car washes. I decided to move up to the pc 7424. I have used buffers in the past with disappointing results, partly due to poor equipment and poor skills.

Anyway, I talked to the experts at autogeek and they suggested I use Manzerna 91E followed by 115c and 85u repectively. I will use the orange pad followed by blue, gray, white etc.. I have been reading the threads and everyone recommends 106ff. Should I have gone with 106ff instead of the 91e?

ASPHALT ROCKET
08-05-2008, 11:05 PM
Well you need a compound/polish, then a finishing polish. The Ip is a good polish and then I would get 106ff or 85rd for a final polish. I really see no need for the glaze. Get yourself some orange, white, green, and blue pads in the 5.5 and 4 inch sizes. These size pads work best with the pc to get any type of correction. Start out with some IP on a green pad and work back on pads to get your swirls out then use 106ff or 85rd on a blue finishing pad as your final step. Make sure you get your defects out with the sip then use the final polishes just to burnish the paint to bring the gloss level up.

lempilot
08-05-2008, 11:28 PM
So, I start with the sip and move the 106ff. Are the 106 and 85 not necessary?

lempilot
08-05-2008, 11:42 PM
Okay, my mistake. I use the 91e, and then the 85. Thanks for your help asphalt rocket...

StephenK
08-06-2008, 10:55 AM
Well you need a compound/polish, then a finishing polish. The Ip is a good polish and then I would get 106ff or 85rd for a final polish. I really see no need for the glaze. Get yourself some orange, white, green, and blue pads in the 5.5 and 4 inch sizes. These size pads work best with the pc to get any type of correction. Start out with some IP on a green pad and work back on pads to get your swirls out then use 106ff or 85rd on a blue finishing pad as your final step. Make sure you get your defects out with the sip then use the final polishes just to burnish the paint to bring the gloss level up.

are you talking about the LC CCS pads?
CCS foam buffing pads,foam polishing pads,lake country foam pads,foam polisher pads,buffer pads,lake county pads,porter cable pads,pads for air sander (http://www.autogeek.net/ccs-5-5inch-foam-buffing-pads.html)
or is it the EDGE pads?
The Edge 2000 How To Detailing Guide to the Porter Cable 7424 and Edge Wave and Flat 6 inch foam pads. car polish car wax buffer polisher buffing pad (http://www.autogeek.net/edge-da-polishing-how-to.html)

just want to make sure everyone knows which pads you are referring to. they both have the color pads you mentioned but they nt in the same aggressiveness order

lempilot
08-06-2008, 11:12 AM
I am talking about the lake country pads. Hopefully, asphalt rocket is talking about them too.

ASPHALT ROCKET
08-06-2008, 11:26 AM
Yes, the ccs pads, plus they work alot better with Menzerna than the Edge pads do.

Matt S.
08-06-2008, 11:28 AM
Okay, my mistake. I use the 91e, and then the 85. Thanks for your help asphalt rocket...

There you go. I think you got confused - 106ff is a finishing polish, and a strong one at that. Should be no need to use it on your Toyota's paint. :cheers:

lempilot
08-06-2008, 01:45 PM
This thread confirms my inexperience. However, confusion is the first step in the journey of learning. There is no question I am learning. So any other suggestions anyone has please let me know.

Matt S.
08-06-2008, 02:02 PM
Keep your pads lubricated throughout the polishing session, always use the PC on speed 6, and go VERY slow, overlapping with each pass!

r0ckstrWS6
08-06-2008, 03:50 PM
question. what do u guys use to keep your pads lubricated? I use water, or XMT pad conditioner. this would benefit the OP too I believe.

Matt S.
08-06-2008, 03:56 PM
question. what do u guys use to keep your pads lubricated? I use water, or XMT pad conditioner. this would benefit the OP too I believe.

XMT Pad Conditioner is great stuff! If you don't have any available or are in a pinch, detail spray will suffice.

ASPHALT ROCKET
08-06-2008, 04:01 PM
You only need the product you are using to prime the pad.

lempilot
08-06-2008, 04:49 PM
Do I relubricate the pad during the buffing process. Specifically, I know to lubricate prior to applying product. For example, I lubricate and then apply product until it hazes, i.e. breaks down. Do I relubricate between the first lubrication and the breaking down of the polish?

Another concern is knowing when it is broken down. I do not want to turn the product to dust so to speak. So any suggestions or tricks you may have will be very helpful.

ASPHALT ROCKET
08-06-2008, 06:50 PM
You only need the product itself to lubricate the pad, it will gum up over using it. I use atleast 3-4 pads per product on a vehicle sometimes more. When Menzerna turns clear with oil type streaks through it you are done, think of oil film on top of water those wre the streaks I am talking about. Do not use QD as a lubricant, if you feel you need a lubricant use water only.