PDA

View Full Version : Swirls don't seem to wanna go away...

Quick5Oh
08-05-2008, 07:48 PM
Hey guys,
I haven't posted on here in a while, but I have been here reading! Anyways, I have a question for ya all... I have recently been fighting swirls with my car after my girlfriend took it to the car wash.. My process has been pretty basic; wash, clay, wash, polish with xmt #3 w/ orange pad and then polish with xmt #1 w/ white pad. Anyways, I finish up the polishing with #3 and can still see fine swirls in the car. So, I figure that the xmt #1 will cover those up, no biggie. Once I finish up with #1, I can still see the swirls there. When I back the car out into the sun, they are still there just not as intense. I have tried repeating the polishing and the swirls just seem to not wanna go away. Am I doing something wrong? I am buffing small sections at a time and waiting for the polish to break down and then wiping clean with a cobra buffing microfiber... Any insight!?

Thanks,
Evan

ASPHALT ROCKET
08-05-2008, 09:01 PM
Sounds like you need to step up to a better polish.

Quick5Oh
08-05-2008, 09:03 PM
Any recommendations? I'm not sure if what I have is not cutting through the clear or what. The car was repainted a few years ago by the previous owner so I know nothing about the paint or who did it..

sal329
08-05-2008, 09:27 PM
What machine are you using? What pads are you using? Size of the pads? Maybe you need a few more passes or something with more cut.

ASPHALT ROCKET
08-05-2008, 09:57 PM
If you have a pc I would get some 5.5 or 4 inch pads, that work the best with pc for correction. I would also step up to some Menzerna sip and 85rd. As far as pad choices I would get orange, white, green, and blue.

BoredBuffer
08-05-2008, 10:18 PM
If you have a pc I would get some 5.5 or 4 inch pads, that work the best with pc for correction. I would also step up to some Menzerna sip and 85rd. As far as pad choices I would get orange, white, green, and blue.
yea that stuff works great on black, no marring

Quick5Oh
08-06-2008, 09:56 AM
I am running the PC with ccs 5.5" pads. I will probably order some menzerna and see how that goes for me. Thanks for the advice. I notice that after using my xmt #3 there are marring marks left in the paint as well. I saw that boredbuffer and the description on the autogeek website both say no marring. So, will I not have to go over it with another polish?

ASPHALT ROCKET
08-06-2008, 11:28 AM
Use the sip first then follow up with the final polish.

Quick5Oh
08-06-2008, 11:46 AM
Alright great, thanks for that advice. I am ordering some right now.. Any recommendations on a final polish?

ASPHALT ROCKET
08-06-2008, 12:04 PM
I use both the 106ff and the 85rd. The 85rd leaves a better gloss level.

Quick5Oh
08-06-2008, 12:31 PM
Cool,
Thanks!