PDA

View Full Version : What is the best for fine scratches?

sam5828
08-05-2008, 11:50 AM
What is the best for thos pesky spiderweb scratches? i have a black avalanche and it is just killing me to get them out and make it look like liquid paint. what is the best that you suggest?

I have buffed it allready with 3M stuff for dark vehicles. cant rember the name of it off hand, then wax with collonite. beads really good cant keep it wet to wash but those pesky little scratches bug me. you can really only see them if you are a foot from it.

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb219/sam5828/smallavy.jpg

dublifecrisis
08-05-2008, 12:34 PM
you need a random orbital machine polisher such as the Porter Cable, Flex etc...some pads and some fancy professional polishes to get rid of those spiderwebs. You can't really do it by hand, the dual action machines will not burn your paint and the cheap ones from Wal-mart will not work. They're easy to use.

The only other real option is to find a good glaze/wax that can FILL in those scratches to hide them temporarily, but after a couple washes they come right back.

go to youtube and you'll find plenty of good videos.

fmoen
08-05-2008, 02:25 PM
I can´t say I have had a lot of experience with different brands of polishes... But on scratches like the ones you describe I do like the results I get with MG80 and my Megs DA machine.

Like dublifecrisis says, you def need a machine to get rid of scratches...

Tesla
08-05-2008, 02:46 PM
Isn't there anything available for use by hand?

ScottB
08-05-2008, 05:09 PM
Vanilla Moose Glaze ... not sold here any longer but will hide them temporarily and is a nice hand polish. Get a buffer and Menzerna 106FF or 106FA when funds permit.

carguy
08-05-2008, 06:11 PM
:righton:I second that menzerna p106ff w/ 5.5" orange pad via rotory is a awesome combo, don't think a da would cut it, did alot of correction on Sunday on my F-150 with combo it was ok, bumped up to menzerna powergloss w/orange pad and followed up with p106ff awesome finish. Good luck, look into a rotory.

sam5828
08-05-2008, 08:04 PM
I have a buffer that is why i said i buffed it

carguy
08-05-2008, 10:45 PM
sorry about the buffer thing, the combo for me was menzerna powergloss w/orange pad, I also wetsanded w/2500 grit first, then used p106ff w/orange pad,not satsified with that result then bumped to powergloss and made a pass /p106ff and that was the trick will take some pics. I also did a section with out wetsanding just clayed, then powergloss w/orange pad awesome results, made one pass with p106ff w/white pad and stopped there. :righton:

sam5828
08-07-2008, 11:14 AM
sorry about the buffer thing, the combo for me was menzerna powergloss w/orange pad, I also wetsanded w/2500 grit first, then used p106ff w/orange pad,not satsified with that result then bumped to powergloss and made a pass /p106ff and that was the trick will take some pics. I also did a section with out wetsanding just clayed, then powergloss w/orange pad awesome results, made one pass with p106ff w/white pad and stopped there. :righton:
well im trying to stay away from wet sanding a brand new truck. but i will have to try the other thngs:buffing: