PDA

View Full Version : Exterior Detailing Questions for Black Vehicles

klklett
07-29-2008, 07:39 AM
Hello all!

I am new to the entire detailing process and wanted to run a few things by you before I make my initial purchase. I have two black vehicles that I will be detailing. One is a 1995 Jeep Wrangler that has great paint on it (minor swirls, really no other defects) and the other is a brand new 2008 VW GTI.

After reading tons of posts I have come up with the process that I think I will use. I'm not sure if all of the steps are needed or if any should be changed. I am planning on doing the following:

1. Wash
2. Clay
3. Polish
4. Sealant
5. Protect
This seems like a lot of steps. Are they all necessary?

I am planning on purchasing the following. I would appreciate any feedback that you may have on the products that I have chosen and if I will have everything that I will need. If I don't need something that I have listed or if there is a better kit or a cheaper way to aquire what I need I would appreciate your ideas.

1. Duragloss 901
2. Clay - Wolfgang Clay Kit w/ Lube
3. Menzerna Porter Cable Intensive Shine Kit (Does this kit have all of the pads that I need? Any aadvice on which pads to start with?)
4. Sealant- 4* UPP
5. Wax - Liquid Souveran, Souvern Paste (Shall I get both or just one?) (I am also considering the spray wax, would this be good to use after washes?)
6. Pad Cleaner - Not sure what to get here?
7. Microfiber Towels - Cobra Indigo and Cobra WW
8. California Water Blade - Does this thing work or shall I just use the MF?
9. Wash mits - Any suggestions?

Sorry about the long post. I just want to make sure that I get this as close to right as I can the first time. Thanks for your help!

bryansbestwax
07-29-2008, 07:45 AM
Hello all!

I am new to the entire detailing process and wanted to run a few things by you before I make my initial purchase. I have two black vehicles that I will be detailing. One is a 1995 Jeep Wrangler that has great paint on it (minor swirls, really no other defects) and the other is a brand new 2008 VW GTI.

After reading tons of posts I have come up with the process that I think I will use. I'm not sure if all of the steps are needed or if any should be changed. I am planning on doing the following:

1. Wash
2. Clay
3. Polish
4. Sealant
5. Protect
This seems like a lot of steps. Are they all necessary?

I am planning on purchasing the following. I would appreciate any feedback that you may have on the products that I have chosen and if I will have everything that I will need. If I don't need something that I have listed or if there is a better kit or a cheaper way to aquire what I need I would appreciate your ideas.

1. Duragloss 901
2. Clay - Wolfgang Clay Kit w/ Lube
3. Menzerna Porter Cable Intensive Shine Kit (Does this kit have all of the pads that I need? Any aadvice on which pads to start with?)
4. Sealant- 4* UPP
5. Wax - Liquid Souveran, Souvern Paste (Shall I get both or just one?) (I am also considering the spray wax, would this be good to use after washes?)
6. Pad Cleaner - Not sure what to get here?
7. Microfiber Towels - Cobra Indigo and Cobra WW
8. California Water Blade - Does this thing work or shall I just use the MF?
9. Wash mits - Any suggestions?

Sorry about the long post. I just want to make sure that I get this as close to right as I can the first time. Thanks for your help!

I would get the paste wax myself, I have both, but I think you will be more pleased with the past.
DP Pad Rejuvenator works well for me
I wouldn't bother with the water blade, compressed air and a mf is the best combo, or just the mf,
I just got the schmitts and I would highly recommend these, the white for the paint and the black for the wells, tires, ect
I would also suggest an EZ detail brushs as well.

As for if all the step are necessary, if you want perfection then yes

Keith Harrison
07-29-2008, 10:23 AM
For the MF question, there is a kit that includes:

1 Cobra Ultimate Guzzler
1 Cobra Micro-Chenille Wash Mitt
4 Cobra Microfiber Applicator Pads
3 Cobra Indigo Edgeless Microfiber Polishing Cloths

I am really pleased with all of the products including the Mitt and it includes some MF cleaner right now. I just bought a second full kit mainly to pick up a 2nd Ult. Guzzler... As for the steps, do them all at least once or twice a year. I just did my first full process and the results were amazing.

blkexcoupe
07-29-2008, 11:04 AM
All the steps are necessary for the best possible shine. Polishing is the most important and time consuming step. Wash and clay shouldn't take that long and applying sealant is easy.

3. The menzerna porter cable intensive shine kit only includes a white and gray pad, so you might also need the orange light cutting pad depending on if you have bad swirls or not.
6. I've heard good things about DP pad rejuvenator
8. Personally I wouldn't use the water blade. Taking off the nozzle and running just water over the car works for me.

klklett
07-29-2008, 02:24 PM
Thanks for the suggestions made so far! I have come up with a couple of more questions in addition to my original post.

1. I am looking at buying some Poor Boys Natural Shine for the interior detailing. Is this a good product for tires also?

2. I live down a gravel drive so every time I take my car out, it gets dusty immediatley. Do y'all have any suggestions to remove the dust between washes? Do the dust mops work and are there any that you would recomend?

Thanks for you responses. Feedback is still welcome for the topics in my original post also:)

Jimmie
07-29-2008, 03:13 PM
#2. Some may have different experiences but I have witnessed my duster induce hairline scratches. I used it properly (unweighted). I quit using it.
My suggestion to remove light dust on a consistent basis would be PB Spray and Wipe with a good MF towel.

ScottB
07-29-2008, 05:02 PM
Poorboys Natural Shine is much to light for tires, and if you prefer the matte look then move to 303 Protectant. If you want more shine, step up to Poorboys Bright and Bold.

Dust contains dirt and contaminents, scratches can insue with the use of a duster. Rewash when possible, and presoak as possible to.

Rsurfer
07-29-2008, 05:43 PM
Thanks for the suggestions made so far! I have come up with a couple of more questions in addition to my original post.

1. I am looking at buying some Poor Boys Natural Shine for the interior detailing. Is this a good product for tires also?

2. I live down a gravel drive so every time I take my car out, it gets dusty immediatley. Do y'all have any suggestions to remove the dust between washes? Do the dust mops work and are there any that you would recomend?

Thanks for you responses. Feedback is still welcome for the topics in my original post also:)Having 2 black cars and driving on a gravel drive daily would make me want to paint my cars a different color. I feel the pain!

pricha00
07-30-2008, 06:36 AM
If you live in dusty conditions I wonder if one of those anti-static QD's would help your situation? I use the PB Natural Look dressing for my interior and I like it.

Pat.

klklett
07-30-2008, 08:24 AM
I am intrigued by the anti-static QD. How would FK 425 react with the Souveran paste that I am planning on using? I'm thinking that I could use the QD right after a wash but could I also use it between washes when the car is dusty or would that lead to scratching? Would using the QD on a regular basis wear down the Souveran paste to the paoint where I would have to wax more often? Thanks again for your advice. You guys are great except for the fact that my list keeps getting longer and more expensive. It's looking like I'll have to purchase all of this stuff over a couple of months :)