PDA

View Full Version : Flat or not for rotary??

pricha00
07-29-2008, 07:31 AM
Trying to learn as much as I can by reading online articles concerning the use of a rotary polisher. Made my first attempt on my friends car and still lots of micromarring and fine scratches even after polishing. I was using the wool pads that came with the Makita 9227C. I am sure much of the issue is technique being a rookie rotary guy but I am getting conflicting advice on exactly how to hold the buffing pad on the paint. Do I keep it flat like my UDM or do I tilt the buffer so only say the 12-4 position actually strikes the surface? Round two later today so help would really be appreciated.

Pat.

bryansbestwax
07-29-2008, 07:39 AM
I have always been told to keep it flat and keep it moving. There are times especially around body line where you can't keep it flat, but other than that, keep it flat. Let the machine do the work and only apply as much pressure as you need to keep control of it. It takes some time.

Z06-Goose
07-29-2008, 10:23 AM
I always keep it flat letting the buffer do the work for you
I always use foam pads, and hardly use wool pads since I haven't had the need to use one yet, plus the only one I've got is the white one which is too coarse for the type of work I always do; no wetsanding, that is...
The wool pad when I've used it, I use use about 2.5" of the outer edge, and not totally flat depending on the angle of the panel I'm working on

ASPHALT ROCKET
07-29-2008, 11:14 AM
On a wool pad I will use it at a slight angle, with a foam pad I keep it unless you have a curve in the vehicle. reason to keep the fooam flat is that the sides of the pad can tear up the finish pretty easy.

pricha00
07-29-2008, 11:36 AM
I was wondering if it was a foam pad vs. a wool pad issue. Even the very limited directions that come with the Makita say to keep a 15 degree angle on the backing plate as you use the buffer. Thanks for all your tips, guys.

Pat.

67Customs
07-29-2008, 11:49 AM
Depends on the pad, polish and area of the vehicle I am working on.

Polishes that break down quickly, I tend to use a slight angle. With polishes that take longer to break down, I keep them as flat as possible.

With wool pads, I tend to use a slight angle and with foam pads, I tend to keep them flat.

For larger panels on the vehicle, I keep the pad flatter and on smaller, more curved or angled panels, I keep it on a more agressive angle.

Add all of those together and there is not a single answer. You just have to practice and get the feel for how you need to hold the polisher with the combo you are using.

Jimmie
07-29-2008, 03:19 PM
Mostly flat but letting the buffer do the work with slight tilts to change direction.

ScottB
07-29-2008, 05:00 PM
it should also be noted since rotaries transfer alot of heat, that you dont want to use high speeds like you did with an orbital.

pricha00
07-29-2008, 06:27 PM
Update...finish looking way better after I picked up a Megs W8000 foam pad. Good car to practice on since we know the painter really layed the clear on thick. For most of the work I was around 1500 and bumped up a little for the final pass with the polish. Car owner and rotary polisher investor was happy with the results so far. Now I just have to finish the rest of the car before first outing on Saturday. One more question for you experts, I noticed some chattering with the foam pad, what is the cause? To dry? Wool was always smooth. Swirly but smooth.

Pat.

bryansbestwax
07-30-2008, 06:10 AM
Update...finish looking way better after I picked up a Megs W8000 foam pad. Good car to practice on since we know the painter really layed the clear on thick. For most of the work I was around 1500 and bumped up a little for the final pass with the polish. Car owner and rotary polisher investor was happy with the results so far. Now I just have to finish the rest of the car before first outing on Saturday. One more question for you experts, I noticed some chattering with the foam pad, what is the cause? To dry? Wool was always smooth. Swirly but smooth.

Pat.
Too dry, you got it

ASPHALT ROCKET
07-30-2008, 09:10 PM
You could also be using to much polish and it is caking on the pad, speed of the rotary also plays a roll in how smooth the pad is going to be.

pricha00
07-31-2008, 06:30 AM
I was using minimal amount of polish so I would be leaning towards too dry. Very different animal with the foam vs. the wool though.

Pat.

ASPHALT ROCKET
07-31-2008, 11:48 AM
Yes it is, thats why I always tell people to practice with a wool pad to just get the feel of the rotary, once you get that then go to your foam pad. Also on the pad chatter the different paints also play a role.