PDA

View Full Version : Need rotary advice!!!!

pricha00
07-26-2008, 12:52 AM
Long story short I posted a thread recently concerning a friends race car that needs some paint correction. Some scratching mainly from working on the car so much and always leaning over the fenders. Anyways, UDM not really getting any results. Yellow pad, Optimum Compound won't even haze the finish. So friend just out of the blue order Makita 9227C rotary and says have at it. WHAT???? No rotary experience at all, just lots of orbital use and learning tricks and techniques here on the forums. Kit says it comes with wool pad and polishing pad and a carry bag. I am hoping they mean foam because I would like to avoid wool until I gain some experience with this machine. I will use the Optimum for now and perhaps the XMT #3 to see how it performs with a rotary. What should I be ordering for this unit as far as backing plates and pads? Buffer was supposed to be delivered today but it looks like Monday so I will try and get some serious reading on these forums in before next weeks first go. Any tips and tricks that I haven't seen posted here such as go slow and avoid the edges?

Thanks and wish me luck, Pat.

bryansbestwax
07-26-2008, 07:58 AM
Keep it moving
use light pressure around edges
makesure you break down the polish all the way, it will happen a lot faster that with an orbital
I use a QD to keep foam most which I believe keeps the heat down and allow the polish to break down better
start with slower speeds and work your way faster
I would also reccomend the edge system pads as they are double sided and if it drifts on you there is less chance of damage

pricha00
07-26-2008, 08:13 AM
Thanks Bryan. Seen some videos on youtube showing them holding the pad virtually flat on the surface. I thought you were supposed to raise the pad so only say the 12-4 position is on the surface. Since the buffer was free for me I guess I could at least invest in some edge pads.

Pat.

ASPHALT ROCKET
07-26-2008, 11:31 AM
Actually wool is easier to use and levels the paint the best which in turn will give you better results. Also do not use QD for priming the pad, if you do prime the pad use a fine mist of water. There really isnt any need to prime the pad as the product will do it for you. I would use a wool pad so you get the feel of the rotary and then move to a foam pad. What polishes to you have besides optimum.

pricha00
07-26-2008, 12:45 PM
I have the XMT #3 and XMT #1 setup. I also have some 3M Swirl Remover(too cheap to pass up) and I have access to Megs #85 from a local paint shop distibutor if I have to buy immediately and not wait for shipping.

Pat.

ASPHALT ROCKET
07-26-2008, 06:04 PM
The XMT isnt rotary friendly, Megs wouldnt be bad to use with the rotary but you are going to need a finish polish.

pricha00
07-26-2008, 07:26 PM
I thought alot of the users here raved about the Optimum compound and polish as they have a nice long working time even with a rotary. I am pretty sure I even saw a video of a detailer doing a newer Ferrari with the exact same products that I have.

Pat.

ASPHALT ROCKET
07-26-2008, 07:42 PM
I personally am not very fond of the optimum polishes. Try them out and see how it goes, as long as you are happy with the results is all that counts.

pricha00
07-26-2008, 08:34 PM
So what exactly would you suggest Asphalt Rocket. I am going to take a wild guess at the Menzerna line or perhaps Poorboys.

Pat.

ASPHALT ROCKET
07-26-2008, 08:57 PM
I use Menzerna, 3M, and Meguiars. My first choice would be Menzerna.

pricha00
07-26-2008, 10:15 PM
I believe the place that sells the Megs #85 also carries the 3M finessing compound, is that the stuff you are using Asphalt Rocket?

Pat.

ASPHALT ROCKET
07-26-2008, 10:21 PM
I use their extra-cut and Ultrafina. When I use the Extra-cut I always go over it with something like SIP on a white or green pad then finish up with 85RD or Ultrfina. Ultrafina is very user friendly and is very close to looks as 85RD.

julian
07-27-2008, 02:16 AM
keep the rpm well under 2000 till you get the hang of it. get some compund for at 1200 grit scratches to get rid of those lean over scratches. and yes do use a spritz of water once in a while if its hot outside.
keep the pad flat, and rotation goes past an edge not into an edge. that's the only area you might need to tilt the pad. Practice on a hood first, preferably not yours.:D

Chris Thomas
07-27-2008, 02:55 AM
I have the Meg's, 3m, and Optimum, but I always reach for the Optimum because it doesn't dust and once you have your combo, each polish removes the residue from the one before w/o wiping in between. I admit they work differently, but after I learned HOW to use them, they are my go to. I can get as much out with OHC as the Meg's w/o the mess and only use my Ultrafina on certain colors that I just can't seem to get any other way. I hate the sling I get from the UF though. Stick with it, and BTW, the OPT stuff was designed for the rotary.