PDA

View Full Version : First Machine Polishing w/Flex 3401

Maison
07-24-2008, 03:06 PM
Hello everyone,

This weekend will be my very first time using/polishing w/DA machine (via Flex 3401). I have SIP, 106FA, and 85RD with orange, white, and blue LC pads to remove some light scratches/marring from my wife's white MB E500. Then a few coats of 4star UPP sealant and a coat of SSII wax. I do have a few Q's:

1. Do I need to moisten or wet the pad and with what?
2. How do I know when to stop polishing or when the Menzerna has been broken down?
3. Any other hints or suggestions?

I've seen some video here or on the internet, but they are not that thorough and in low resolution, so it was very difficult to tell.

Thanks!!

ASPHALT ROCKET
07-24-2008, 04:13 PM
I would start out with SIP on the white pad then follow up with 85RD on a blue finishing pad. I don not prime my pads with anything, if you decide to just mist it with water, do not use a QD. The Menzerna will turn to a clear oily look and that is when it is broken down. If that doesnt get the swirls out then go to your orange pad with SIP and once again follow up with 85RD on a blue pad. You always finish with a finishing polish on a finishing pad.

YankeeFan
07-24-2008, 08:12 PM
Hello everyone,

This weekend will be my very first time using/polishing w/DA machine (via Flex 3401). I have SIP, 106FA, and 85RD with orange, white, and blue LC pads to remove some light scratches/marring from my wife's white MB E500. Then a few coats of 4star UPP sealant and a coat of SSII wax. I do have a few Q's:

1. Do I need to moisten or wet the pad and with what?
2. How do I know when to stop polishing or when the Menzerna has been broken down?
3. Any other hints or suggestions?

I've seen some video here or on the internet, but they are not that thorough and in low resolution, so it was very difficult to tell.

Thanks!!

You should go to the Auto Detailing Forum, at the top there are two "stickys" to provide info. on how to use Menzerna and how to know when it breaks down.

Moisten - use distilled water

Howard

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
07-24-2008, 09:29 PM
1st thing is 1st.. make sure the backing plate is properly seated... you will know when you have seated the backing plate properly because it will be PERFECTLY flush with the threaded spindle that goes into the backing plate and you will hear it "snap".. always make sure the backing plate is TIGHT

By doing this I believe the issues you may have read about with the backing plate shedding plastic shaving could be avoided

Jason
07-24-2008, 10:34 PM
also make sure to apply a bit of oil on the felt ring.

Maison
07-25-2008, 12:24 AM
Thanks for the responses so far. Some say to moisten and others not, guess I'll try w/o it. Did check proper seating of back plate and tightness when I received it. Not sure if I wanna the oil application though. The countdown begins, I'm startin' first thing Friday AM.

ASPHALT ROCKET
07-25-2008, 12:27 AM
Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Maison
07-25-2008, 09:54 AM
Thanks, ASPHALT.

bryansbestwax
08-01-2008, 10:07 AM
My two cents, I moisten the pad, only because most of my work is outside. You won't hurt anything by doing it or not doing, mostly personal preference around here