PDA

View Full Version : Best way to deal with "solvent pop"?

jake66
07-24-2008, 02:54 PM
I noticed that my 1966 Nova has some bad spots, mostly on the top, with what appears to be "solvent pop" on it. What is the best way to deal with this to hide it or attempt to correct it?

I did not know what it was until this site/forum. You people are great and I have learned alot.

Also, the clear on this car is older and seems to be very hard. I have used 3M RC on orange LC pad and am not getting some of the scratches/swirls to budge. Would any product or pad combination be more effective?

Rsurfer
07-24-2008, 03:04 PM
Try Menz SIP or Power Gloss, you will need 106 to finish off.

ScottB
07-24-2008, 03:51 PM
Solvent Pop ??? Any pics ??

jake66
07-24-2008, 04:27 PM
I did not have a digital camera with me at the time other than the cell phone. I will try to get some pictures taken and uploaded to show what I'm dealing with.

I keep coming back to the Menz products. I would like to get the powergloss, SIP and 106 when I can swing the cash. Would the powergloss and SIP have that much more cutting ability than the 3M RC and XMT #3. I am using a pc with 6.5" LC pads. Thanks.

Lasthope05
07-24-2008, 04:33 PM
It sounds like you are describing fish eyes in the paint. If thats the case a only a repaint will fix that.

ASPHALT ROCKET
07-24-2008, 04:33 PM
3M and Meguiars M105 have more cut to me. Also if you want the pc to do some cutting get the 5.5 or the 4 inch pads, they work much better than the 6.5 pads.

Rsurfer
07-24-2008, 05:20 PM
3M and Meguiars M105 have more cut to me. Also if you want the pc to do some cutting get the 5.5 or the 4 inch pads, they work much better than the 6.5 pads.:whs:If the 4" pads dont cut it, next step is a rotary.

jake66
07-25-2008, 12:16 PM
I'm considering getting the three Menz products and the 4" spot buffing kit. I do not have a rotary, but did use one on a 89 Dodge truck about 15 years ago. Man the Chrysler cc sucked back then.

I am also looking to try a new wax or glaze/wax combo on this car. Considering RMG/carnauba combo or Natty's Blue. Any thoughts? The color is bright Red.

julian
07-27-2008, 02:27 AM
you only noticed it now?
solvent pop or heavy orange peel = wet sand + rotary - watch the edges...or better, tape them off.

David Fermani
07-27-2008, 09:46 AM
There's NO way to repair solvent pop without doing a repaint. Solvent pop is basically craters in your finish that cannot be buffed out. It's usually from trapped solvents that try escaping as the finish dries.

jake66
07-28-2008, 11:50 AM
I concur that wetsand/rotary or more likely a repaint are in order in the future for this "driver". I am just trying to make the best of what I've got for now.

It is not that I did not notice this from the beginning, it is that I have not done anything more to tha paint but glaze and wax or cleaner wax by hand until now. It was not until researching buffers that I came to this site and found that there was more that I could try with the proper knowledge, equipment and products. All thanks to this site/forum.