PDA

View Full Version : Does bug/tar remover strip off wax?

pbateman
07-23-2008, 02:03 PM
Had a quick question about bug/tar removers. I recently bought an OTC bug/tar remover (turtlewax) to remove some bugs from the bumper and have been using it on and off. My question is, in general do these products strip wax, should i re-wax after applying this?
I'm thinking of getting some Poorboys bug squash which i read can be used as a pre-wash bug soaker. I know this would be better than an OTC bug/tar remover but again...does the wax stripping still apply? Living in south Florida I get a lot of bugs so it's a bit of a pain to think that i have to re-wax the bumper every time I wash if I use bug remover. I am using natty's blue to wax in case it makes any difference as far as whether it would strip it or not...

Thanx

ASPHALT ROCKET
07-23-2008, 02:08 PM
Yes it does.

pbateman
07-23-2008, 02:21 PM
Thanks for confirming that...guess I'll be waxing often!

Lost Pup
07-23-2008, 03:54 PM
At least waxing often allows the bug debris to be removed easier.

I soak a few MF towels in the car wash bucket and just lay them over the heavy bug debris while dripping with soap. I let the MF dwell there while I wash the wheels and tires. Most of the time all of the bug debris does come off with no bug/tar remover needed.

budman3
07-23-2008, 04:06 PM
If you dilute the Bug Squash 1:3 (BS:water), the LSP is more likely to remain in tact. Many people have reviewd the BS saying that when diluted, it isn't harsh to the LSP. Now, almost anything removes the LSP but it's just a matter of how much. Your best bet is to do a test. Wash the vehicle and dry it. Inspect the front bumper visually and by feeling. Then use the bug or tar remover, wash, dry and then re-inspect. The amounts of LSP removed are all dependent on the LSP used, how long it has been on the paint, the environment, and the bug remover being used....

pbateman
07-23-2008, 04:35 PM
Thanks again guys, I'll be testing those out! I guess after all, wore case scenario I'll just re-wax, which should help with the removal for the next wash anyways

ScottB
07-23-2008, 06:48 PM
I find that using Poorboys Bug Squash helps .. it doesnt seem to remove a sealant but unfortunately yes to some carnauba waxes.