PDA

View Full Version : engine

Pages : [1] 2

StephenK
07-31-2006, 09:02 AM
to all the veterans of this forum can i please get advice on what is the best product(s) for cleaning the engine. this is a car i have not been able to touch in 4years so it is filthy. i really need something that is gonna work.

thank you

Meghan
07-31-2006, 09:04 AM
http://www.autogeek.net/dp320.html
This is the best product I have found for engine cleaning.

StephenK
07-31-2006, 09:09 AM
thanks meghan. i will add that to my first order.

ScottB
07-31-2006, 04:55 PM
great product for engines. Spray on, agitate the grimer areas, turn the car on, and hose it off. Let the car run for several minutes to heat the motor and keep the moisture out of certain parts. Try to stay away from coils, and distributors. Use Klasse AIO to clean and protect the painted parts.

StephenK
08-02-2006, 03:57 PM
i have used klasse before was not that impressed. maybe they have improved the product. thanks

emaxxman
08-02-2006, 04:32 PM
great product for engines. Spray on, agitate the grimer areas, turn the car on, and hose it off. Let the car run for several minutes to heat the motor and keep the moisture out of certain parts. Try to stay away from coils, and distributors. Use Klasse AIO to clean and protect the painted parts.

Maybe I'm a simpleton but this site is screaming for a step by step guide on engine detailing with pictures.

StephenK
08-02-2006, 04:44 PM
pictures would be nice, which i will post, but i dont remember anyone screamng for a guide. all i asked for was a good product from the site to use. not how to use it

emaxxman
08-02-2006, 04:45 PM
It was a figure of speech. The site has guides for almost everything else.

StephenK
08-02-2006, 04:57 PM
i have noticed there sre alot of guides.

abrcrombe
08-02-2006, 06:03 PM
I have used Gunk (you can buy it at autozone) with pretty good success. Also what do you guys suggest for dressing the engine? Sorry OT.

ScottB
08-02-2006, 06:22 PM
Maybe I'm a simpleton but this site is screaming for a step by step guide on engine detailing with pictures.

I dont know if that would create a legal issue. Not all engines are laid out the same, and truthfully adding water to a warm aluminum block could crack it. Also water injested into the air intake, and other oddities. As such it might be an area best left to the owner.

As for products I use three. DP Exterior Cleaner, Klasse AIO, and 303 Protectant.

emaxxman
08-02-2006, 07:27 PM
I have used Gunk (you can buy it at autozone) with pretty good success. Also what do you guys suggest for dressing the engine? Sorry OT.

I use Meguiar's dressings. Any water based dressing should do fine. Spray on, let sit overnight, wipe off the next morning. I've found that solvent based dressings tend to leave things greasy.

emaxxman
08-02-2006, 07:29 PM
I dont know if that would create a legal issue. Not all engines are laid out the same, and truthfully adding water to a warm aluminum block could crack it. Also water injested into the air intake, and other oddities. As such it might be an area best left to the owner.

As for products I use three. DP Exterior Cleaner, Klasse AIO, and 303 Protectant.

I can understand the legal concerns.

I gave mine a very light wash. I use the foamgun to lay down a layer of soap, let it sit, gave a quick light brush on the easy to reach stuff, and then gave a very gentle rinse.

I was never more scared in my life. I was so afraid that it would not start. It's a 98 Accord and should be quite water tight but you just never know. I research it for weeks before I tried it. Still not clean but much better than it's ever been.

Surfer
08-02-2006, 07:37 PM
I can understand the legal concerns.

I gave mine a very light wash. I use the foamgun to lay down a layer of soap, let it sit, gave a quick light brush on the easy to reach stuff, and then gave a very gentle rinse.

I was never more scared in my life. I was so afraid that it would not start. It's a 98 Accord and should be quite water tight but you just never know. I research it for weeks before I tried it. Still not clean but much better than it's ever been.Newer cars/trucks shouldn't have a problem. On my suv I can soak the V8 and it'll start right up like normal. I saw a video of I think the guyfrom Adams using a pressure cleaner on an s/c Harley F150 as well. Ford has their engine bays well protected.

Jonboy
08-03-2006, 02:29 PM
This is mine detailed using mainly Megs #38

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h271/nealathollies/IMG_0452.jpg