PDA

View Full Version : Help in picking a PC kit

pbateman
07-23-2008, 01:03 PM
Hey guys,
I am thinking of getting a PC kit but I am a little confused on what exactly I need. Looking at the different kits, for example, I find that some come with a "5 inch Hook and Loop backing plate", others mention "5 inch flex backing plate". Are these one and the same?
Another thing is some i see come with a wrench and counterweight while others do not mention it...are these necessary? I thought they came with the PC by default? Then other kits I see come with pads but not even a backing plate listed...so leaves me to wonder which of these items are really needed and if they're needed why would some kits come without them and some with them?
I'm thinking of just getting the items separate to only get what i really need but I'm unsure about these items. Basically what really comes with just the standalone PC and what needs to be bought separate for it to work (other than of course pads and polishes).

One last thing, I have read a lot about Flex polishers but from what i see they are much more expensive than a PC. For a complete beginner is it worth spending more for the Flex or should i stick to the PC? Considering this would be only used as a hobby, not business...

Thanks!

Edit: Just noticed also the size of pads differ in different kits..some list 5.5" some list 6.5"... and to throw me even more off guard, I had previously been told that the backing plate was supposed to be a 6" backing plate..the one in the kits is 5.5....again reason for the differences? just personal preference?

ScottB
07-23-2008, 06:50 PM
backing plate is what holds the pad to buffer, it should always be smaller than pads to avoid contact with paint. Size of pads will dictate the size of backing plate needed, most have a couple.

The wrench and counterweight are included with PC, and you should not need another unless you lose yours.

The Flex is indeed a difference , is it worth the cost is up to the user. I suspect most would want the increased power within a year of PC use even in a hobby setting.

12v
07-23-2008, 07:35 PM
stick with the pc if its just for you. I switched from a rotary to a pc a long time ago. It takes alot more patients, and alot more time but u can get great results. For paint correction stick to a smaller pad like the 5.5" pad instead of the 6.5" pad. Some may disagree but i found that it works better to use the smaller pad because you focus more energy into a smaller area. Unfortunately the kits which are excellent deals dont come with the 5.5" pads, or atleast the ones i have didnt. But the 5.5" pads are fairly cheap, you could always get a couple with your purchase, or try the 6.5's first.

as far as what kit i would get... well that all depends on the products you want to try :D

Leatham
07-23-2008, 08:07 PM
stick with the pc if its just for you. I switched from a rotary to a pc a long time ago. It takes alot more patients, and alot more time but u can get great results. For paint correction stick to a smaller pad like the 5.5" pad instead of the 6.5" pad. Some may disagree but i found that it works better to use the smaller pad because you focus more energy into a smaller area. Unfortunately the kits which are excellent deals dont come with the 5.5" pads, or atleast the ones i have didnt. But the 5.5" pads are fairly cheap, you could always get a couple with your purchase, or try the 6.5's first.

as far as what kit i would get... well that all depends on the products you want to try :D

well AG now has some excellent 5.5" pad kits... pretty good value for your moolah :D

pbateman
07-24-2008, 08:25 AM
Thanks for the info! seems 5.5" pads with a 5 inch backing plate would be the way to go.

Meghan
07-24-2008, 08:40 AM
Thanks for the info! seems 5.5" pads with a 5 inch backing plate would be the way to go.

Yes if you check out our whats new page you will see we have put together some great new kits. These all include the 5.5" pads, so like this size better then the 6.5".

New Goodies! (http://www.autogeek.net/newproducts.html)

pbateman
07-24-2008, 03:34 PM
Thanks Meghan, just saw one kit with the low profile pads that's also on sale that I might go for, most likely will go for it once I get my paycheck! Thanx!

ScottB
07-24-2008, 03:50 PM
this is certainly some nice offerings -- the Ceramiclear kit rocks !

pbateman
07-25-2008, 09:31 AM
I saw that one, however I am not too familiar with menzerna polishes, they confuse me a bit. I know they're very highly regarded here but I always thought there was intensive polish and Final polish...and that was the basic. Now I see all these ceramic clear polishes and super intensive, nano, micro.....
From what I've been reading here it almost seems like the ceramic clear products are mostly for the kind of clearcoats in Mercedes benz/BMW not regular clears? i have a Nissan which is famous for its bad paint/clear....still trying to read up on all polishes to see which one might work out the best for when i eventually get the PC...