PDA

View Full Version : Using Flex and Polish near other materials

Keith Harrison
07-18-2008, 02:20 PM
Quick noobie question. Have a Flex ordered. When using it, do you typically tape off things like the headlight lenses and rubber or other trim that touches the paint? If so, what do you typically use, some sort of painters tape?

Don't want to damage lenses etc...

wisemonkey
07-18-2008, 02:39 PM
yes tape off trim and headlights so you wont scuff them

Rsurfer
07-18-2008, 02:49 PM
Quick noobie question. Have a Flex ordered. When using it, do you typically tape off things like the headlight lenses and rubber or other trim that touches the paint? If so, what do you typically use, some sort of painters tape?

Don't want to damage lenses etc...Yes, painters tape. They are several tapes on the market.

sal329
07-18-2008, 05:57 PM
Tape off all plastic, any trim, around the doors so no polish in the creases, door handles and I use towels on the windshield

VolvoGuy
07-18-2008, 06:10 PM
I use the blue painters tape and newspaper on the windows. If you apply the polish sparingly and not lift the pad while it is turning you shouldn't get much splatter. Sal329 is correct.

conan777
07-18-2008, 06:31 PM
I dont tape off my head lights unless there is a trim piece around it like plastic or chrome. Otherwise I will polish the headlights along with the rest of the car.

ScottB
07-18-2008, 07:10 PM
painters tape is the safe choice, it comes in a whole bunch of cool colors now too.

Z06-Goose
07-18-2008, 11:11 PM
My go to tape is the 3M green. It sticks better than the blue one for some reason
I don't tape headlights either, unless it has rubber trim around them

Keith Harrison
07-19-2008, 09:41 AM
Was doing a quick wash today while waiting for the flex to arrive Monday. Thought of 1 more question.
My car has painted "membrane" across the very bottom of each side and just in front of the rear wheels. Its sort of soft no doubt to lessen the impact of debris. It does have a raised edge. My question is do you folks treat that like any other painted surface i.e. do you polish it, clay it, etc or do you avoid using abrasives on it?

Thanks!

DetailGuy
07-19-2008, 02:48 PM
Was doing a quick wash today while waiting for the flex to arrive Monday. Thought of 1 more question.
My car has painted "membrane" across the very bottom of each side and just in front of the rear wheels. Its sort of soft no doubt to lessen the impact of debris. It does have a raised edge. My question is do you folks treat that like any other painted surface i.e. do you polish it, clay it, etc or do you avoid using abrasives on it?

Thanks!
If it has paint on it like the rest of the car, then I treat it like the rest of the car. I would normally apply a little more wax/sealant to the area to help keep the tar and mud from sticking.