PDA

View Full Version : certified detailer

DetailGuy
07-18-2008, 09:28 AM
I would like opinions on becoming a certified detailer. Is it worth the cost to take the test to get certified? I was talking to a detail distributor who is well known in some of these forums about it. What I want to know is would there really be any advantages for me to be certified over another detailer that is not? I know I rather have a certified mechanic work on my car than someone who just knows a lot about them. But I also know most people would rather have someone fix their car for $50 than a certified mechanic fix it for $100.

budman3
07-18-2008, 09:43 AM
Well comparing a "certified detailer" to a certified mechanic is impossible because there isn't a nationwide company/firm/ whatever that certifies detailers. It simply doesn't exist (like the ASE). Sure some companies may say that they certify detailer's but there is no recognition towards that. The detailing industry is made up of thousands of small companies and it has been very difficult for people to unite all of them and have everyone certified because everyone details differently. Sure it would be cool to be a certified detailer, but if the person who certified you has no recognition across the country, what good does it do? Anyone can print up a certificate saying that they attended a company's training session but that doesn't make them the best detailer...

StrutMotors
07-20-2008, 09:42 AM
I don't think there is an industry standard for testing or compliance, and as a professional detailer when I read 'certified' in another companies advertisement I see it as a con or joke. It may add some revenue to your business from the public buying into it but that's all.

That said, I am ASE Certified in Refinishing & Collision Repair but don't work at body shops anymore. I've added it to my advertising and marketing- but don't think even that's been a significant source of increased business; and that's a nationally recognized insignia. So I don't know how much good can come from an unrecognized organization.