PDA

View Full Version : Menzerna polishes, polisher

crash73
07-17-2008, 09:51 PM
I'm trying to perhaps do too much with too little... Hopefully, someone can set me straight.

Bandgeek99 and I have 5 vehicles to maintain: a 1997 Nissan Pathfinder (Champagne or Gold color); a 2001 GMC Yukon XL Denali (Black); a 2002 Kia Sedona (Green/Tan two-tone); a 2003 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP (Dark Blue - Bandgeek99's old car); and a 2006 Dodge Charger R/T (Magnesium Pearl - Bandgeek99's car).

We have been frustrated by appearance issues that we cannot correct (as yet) with either a PorterCable 7424 or the Ultimate DEtailing Machine, using various graqdes of cutting pads, and using various version of XMT Corrective formulas (XMT1 - XMT3; we have XMT4 on-hand, but are leary to use it - just twisting the cap off, and it sounds like liquid sand papaer - you can hear how gritty it really is).

So we are now questioning whether our problem is the polish(es) in use, or whether the Dual-Action Polishers are not up to the task, our application methodologies, or all of the above.

First, what we're trying to fix; they appear to be wash or polishing 'scratches', some of which may have arisen from washing the cars in the winter with No-Rinse-Wash. Some start at the very front edge of the roof but nearly in the middle, and they're a good 15" to 18" long... Similar 'scratches' appear in the hood, but not as long; very few of these are on vertical surfaces.

We are contemplating changing over to Menzerna products; Bobby at PalmBeach has said XMT3 is a cut of 3.2, so we were thinking of trying the IP/SIP products; the latter stems from some posts indicating that CHrysler paint.clearcoat is harder than others. However, Bobby advised that SIP is really targetted for newer-generation ceramic-based Mercedes finishes, and should not be needed on Chrysler products. So we are seeking more input here - there is little need to spend 78% more for SIP than IP since they have the same cut ability.

Then it's what do we follow that up with... The Kia and the Dodge are the only vehicles that are OEM-paint only, so the 106FA was on our list for those 2 cars. But with the age of the Kia, is it possible that I need to cater for 'Aged/Weather Worn Coatings' (a quote from a pdf file available on the Menzerna web site (choose the downloads on the left side to download the latest version). Any thoughts on that? For the other 3, if we follow-up with PO85U, the gloss rating on that is not as high (4.0) as we want (5.0), so we would need a third step to achieve a better gloss - what would be recommended? Alternatively, should we consider the PO 85 RE 5 for all 5 cars?

Will Menzerna polishes go on much better with a rotary rather than a Dual-Action? TOGWT's post (Menzerna Polishes - Part I, #6) seems to imply that, but he does provide some suggestions for a Dual-Action. I don't want to embark on a new polish line if I don't have the right equipment to apply it and achieve it's best capabilities.

We've been adhering to the (mostly) 2X2 application area, going from lighter cut pads and working our way up, then repeating as we move up in polish correction. It is possible that we are over-working the polish, or even under-working the polish, becuase we haven't really caught on to when the polish is done, hazing exists, but the polish hasn't dried or become 'chalky' or 'dusty'.

Help us if you can - please!

ASPHALT ROCKET
07-17-2008, 10:06 PM
Sounds like you need to upgrade your polish. I use the SIP, IP, 106FF and 85RD. For the really hard stuff I use M105 or 3M extra-cut. On some vehicles you will need a 3 step process. You can use Menzerna with a PC it will just take a little longer, once the polish turns to a clear oily look it has broken down.

Rsurfer
07-17-2008, 10:07 PM
I'm trying to perhaps do too much with too little... Hopefully, someone can set me straight.

Bandgeek99 and I have 5 vehicles to maintain: a 1997 Nissan Pathfinder (Champagne or Gold color); a 2001 GMC Yukon XL Denali (Black); a 2002 Kia Sedona (Green/Tan two-tone); a 2003 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP (Dark Blue - Bandgeek99's old car); and a 2006 Dodge Charger R/T (Magnesium Pearl - Bandgeek99's car).

We have been frustrated by appearance issues that we cannot correct (as yet) with either a PorterCable 7424 or the Ultimate DEtailing Machine, using various graqdes of cutting pads, and using various version of XMT Corrective formulas (XMT1 - XMT3; we have XMT4 on-hand, but are leary to use it - just twisting the cap off, and it sounds like liquid sand papaer - you can hear how gritty it really is).So we are now questioning whether our problem is the polish(es) in use, or whether the Dual-Action Polishers are not up to the task, our application methodologies, or all of the above.

First, what we're trying to fix; they appear to be wash or polishing 'scratches', some of which may have arisen from washing the cars in the winter with No-Rinse-Wash. Some start at the very front edge of the roof but nearly in the middle, and they're a good 15" to 18" long... Similar 'scratches' appear in the hood, but not as long; very few of these are on vertical surfaces.

We are contemplating changing over to Menzerna products; Bobby at PalmBeach has said XMT3 is a cut of 3.2, so we were thinking of trying the IP/SIP products; the latter stems from some posts indicating that CHrysler paint.clearcoat is harder than others. However, Bobby advised that SIP is really targetted for newer-generation ceramic-based Mercedes finishes, and should not be needed on Chrysler products. So we are seeking more input here - there is little need to spend 78% more for SIP than IP since they have the same cut ability.

Then it's what do we follow that up with... The Kia and the Dodge are the only vehicles that are OEM-paint only, so the 106FA was on our list for those 2 cars. But with the age of the Kia, is it possible that I need to cater for 'Aged/Weather Worn Coatings' (a quote from a pdf file available on the Menzerna web site (choose the downloads on the left side to download the latest version). Any thoughts on that? For the other 3, if we follow-up with PO85U, the gloss rating on that is not as high (4.0) as we want (5.0), so we would need a third step to achieve a better gloss - what would be recommended? Alternatively, should we consider the PO 85 RE 5 for all 5 cars?

Will Menzerna polishes go on much better with a rotary rather than a Dual-Action? TOGWT's post (Menzerna Polishes - Part I, #6) seems to imply that, but he does provide some suggestions for a Dual-Action. I don't want to embark on a new polish line if I don't have the right equipment to apply it and achieve it's best capabilities.

We've been adhering to the (mostly) 2X2 application area, going from lighter cut pads and working our way up, then repeating as we move up in polish correction. It is possible that we are over-working the polish, or even under-working the polish, becuase we haven't really caught on to when the polish is done, hazing exists, but the polish hasn't dried or become 'chalky' or 'dusty'.

Help us if you can - please!First of all what size pads are you using with the pc or udm? If you are using 5" or larger, that may be part of the problem. Instead of spending money getting the Menz line why dont you try the 4" pads first since you have the XMT line. For harder correction you may want to get a PFW pad. IMO Menz is a better polish than XMT, but why spend the money if the pads will make a difference. Im sure you will see a vast improvement in the correction dept. with the 4" pads.

ASPHALT ROCKET
07-17-2008, 10:10 PM
Good point Rsurfer, I should have mentioned the 5.5 and 4 inch pads.

crash73
07-17-2008, 10:32 PM
First of all what size pads are you using with the pc or udm? If you are using 5" or larger, that may be part of the problem. Instead of spending money getting the Menz line why dont you try the 4" pads first since you have the XMT line. For harder correction you may want to get a PFW pad. IMO Menz is a better polish than XMT, but why spend the money if the pads will make a difference. Im sure you will see a vast improvement in the correction dept. with the 4" pads.

We only have the 6.5" 'standard' pads... Aside from what would seem to take a longer time to polish, and perhaps a slightly faster speed (less resistance from the pad), I'm still struggling to understand the physics of using smaller pads for better correction... Can you help me? I'm definitely not trying to be argumentative; I want to understanding/knowledgeable...

Rsurfer
07-17-2008, 10:56 PM
We only have the 6.5" 'standard' pads... Aside from what would seem to take a longer time to polish, and perhaps a slightly faster speed (less resistance from the pad), I'm still struggling to understand the physics of using smaller pads for better correction... Can you help me? I'm definitely not trying to be argumentative; I want to understanding/knowledgeable...I did not take physics in college, but IMO the smaller and lighter pad allows the pc to spin more freely and you can apply moderate pressure without the pc or udm bogging down. Do a search and you will find a lot of guys who are using the 4" pads with great success. Of course you will need a 3.5" bp.

Rsurfer
07-17-2008, 11:00 PM
BTW I also started out with a pc and 6.5" pads using Menz products and never got the results till I started using the 5.5" pads. And now with the 4" pads I'm getting excellent results.

Keith Harrison
07-18-2008, 01:57 PM
I don't want to hijack this thread but along these lines, I just purchased the Flex/Menz kit which has 6.5" pads. I'm I in the same boat or will the added power of the Flex be sufficient for the 6.5 pads?

Rsurfer
07-18-2008, 02:04 PM
I don't want to hijack this thread but along these lines, I just purchased the Flex/Menz kit which has 6.5" pads. I'm I in the same boat or will the added power of the Flex be sufficient for the 6.5 pads?Depends on the condition of your paint. If the paint is just slightly marred, the flex and 106 using a white pad should work fine. The 4" pads using the pc works better than with the 6.5" pads. It also allows you to get into tight areas because of its smaller size.

Keith Harrison
07-18-2008, 02:15 PM
Depends on the condition of your paint. If the paint is just slightly marred, the flex and 106 using a white pad should work fine. The 4" pads using the pc works better than with the 6.5" pads. It also allows you to get into tight areas because of its smaller size.

I'm not even sure that there is a 4" BP option for the flex??? Haven't seen one on AG.

Rsurfer
07-18-2008, 02:46 PM
I'm not even sure that there is a 4" BP option for the flex??? Haven't seen one on AG.I believe you can use the edge 4" cyclo pads with the flex.

tonym
07-18-2008, 05:58 PM
I use the edge pads. The only 4" pad I see they have is the cyclo pads. It seems to me that I should be able to snap them on to my PC adapter. Anyone know for sure?

tony

Rsurfer
07-18-2008, 06:40 PM
I use the edge pads. The only 4" pad I see they have is the cyclo pads. It seems to me that I should be able to snap them on to my PC adapter. Anyone know for sure?

tonyI'm sure you can use the edge on the pc, but not certain about the Flex.