PDA

View Full Version : Removing all product from the surface..

JOE.M.
07-17-2008, 02:15 AM
So I am reading all of these threads on what to use to total clean your paint of all old Sealants, wax, glaze and so on. Use or Don't use Dish soap, use or don't use 50/50 alcohol wipe, use a paint cleaner or polish. As for the first two I am not sure I am sold on how the dish soap effects plastic trim and how 50/50 will penetrate and remove everything and leave a clean surface. As for the paint cleaner or polish would it not just clog the pad with product and residue? So I am thinking what about a product like DP Pad Rejuvenator? I use it to clean my pads {dose a great job} I use it to remove old and new wax residue from all trim {does an amazing job} with no damage to the color of the trim, so why could you not mix a bucket up and wash down a car to create a clean slate? Am I missing something?

ScottB
07-17-2008, 08:20 AM
Dishwashing soap is a bit of a joke, most original offered it because it was said to strip wax. Not a sealant, and nobody can prove it strips all of a wax. It also can damage rubber surrounds over time if used frequently as highly alkaline.

Commercial strippers like 3M , Prepsol, and Acrysol can easily strip all waxes and sealants easily. There are quite harsh as solvents and should be used in well ventilated areas with extreme caution.

Iso alcohol seems to remove wax and sealants. Spray on surface and watch it cream or color. Not sure the long term effects, as the solvent flashes off quite quickly.

Paint cleansers and Paint polishes naturally or chemically remove all traces too. Since most do this as part of the prep regimine no need to concentrate on the rest.

As for the DP stuff ... I am not sure the chemical makeup. Likely similar to an APC and thus might knock a wax out but likely wont remove all of a well cured paint sealant.

sal329
07-17-2008, 10:55 AM
Chemical Guys Citrus wash does a good job removing wax and sealant. I believe P21s TAW can be used as well if properly diluted

Bert31
07-17-2008, 12:59 PM
Chemical Guys Citrus wash does a good job removing wax and sealant. I believe P21s TAW can be used as well if properly diluted

Didn't know you were supposed to dilute it.

ScottB
07-17-2008, 04:35 PM
Total Wash will indeed remove a wax at full strength, a properly cured sealant, well it might dent it but doubt it will completely remove it.

bryansbestwax
07-17-2008, 07:23 PM
Try Aquasol or Prepsol,

Maison
07-18-2008, 12:00 AM
Try Walmart, they have Prep-All (same as Prepsol) for $5.50 in the auto section. That should work for ya.

Bert31
07-18-2008, 09:19 AM
Total Wash will indeed remove a wax at full strength, a properly cured sealant, well it might dent it but doubt it will completely remove it.

Interesting, I thought it would knock out a sealant also.

ScottB
07-18-2008, 07:21 PM
I can tell you it did not remove Zaino ...

JOE.M.
07-19-2008, 12:04 AM
Thanks for the feedback guy's, I think I am going to go with a good wash and a wipe down of prep all. The car is a 2003 metallic gray Nissan Altima. Has some oxidation on the hood and roof, heavy swirls {spider web like} on the rest of the car. The car is waxed often but gets a bath at the local car wash every week. My plan is to clean it, clay, XMT #3 followed by a fine polish and either go with the Duragloss #601 & #105 or maybe Collinite #845 topped with #915. I am not looking for bling on this but want it to with stand the elements out here. Not my vehicle so I can't over look its care once it leaves my hands. Thans again!

Rsurfer
07-19-2008, 04:08 PM
Thanks for the feedback guy's, I think I am going to go with a good wash and a wipe down of prep all. The car is a 2003 metallic gray Nissan Altima. Has some oxidation on the hood and roof, heavy swirls {spider web like} on the rest of the car. The car is waxed often but gets a bath at the local car wash every week. My plan is to clean it, clay, XMT #3 followed by a fine polish and either go with the Duragloss #601 & #105 or maybe Collinite #845 topped with #915. I am not looking for bling on this but want it to with stand the elements out here. Not my vehicle so I can't over look its care once it leaves my hands. Thans again!
Good choice, JoeM