PDA

View Full Version : Noobie questions

Pages : [1] 2

Keith Harrison
07-16-2008, 10:32 AM
Gents, (and ladies)

1st let me say I appreciate the wealth of information on this forum. Its informative but to a noobie a bit overwhelming. I've tried to answer all my questions without a post but have a few questions left so here goes.

I just purchased an 06 Boxster S. Lapis Blue. Has 3k miles on it and basically brand new in appearance. When i drove it off the lot I was so pleased with the exterior appearance of the car that I immediately started searching the internet for products to maintain it which lead me here. So far i have purchased for the exterior:

> P21S Carn. starter kit: Includes Tire Gel, Shampoo, Paintwork Cleanser, 100% Carn. Wax, var. applicators...
> Cobra Start Kit:Ultimate Guzzler, Wash Mitt, Applicator Pads, Polishing Cloths
> I also have some Meg. (Gold I think) Quick Det. left from my previous adventures which I use limitedly almost daily. When it runs out I'll be changing.
> Meg. Tire Gel from previous car.

So last weekend was my first serious (to me anyway) detail. I did all wash work in shade.(6:30am shade. Been a long time since I cared enough for a car to get up at that time to clean it!)

Went through the normal steps as you would expect from my purchases:
1. Soaked/cleaned tires with Gel
2. Rinsed entire car with water
3. Washed with MF Mitt and shampoo
4. Dried with Guzzler
5. Polished with Paint Cleaner with supplied sponge
6. Waxed with 100% Carn. / MF
7. Dressed tires

Car looked awesome in my garage. It was the most fulfilling cleanup in my history. I've had other nice cars but sadly never really maintained them properly.

Anyway, I of course started to closely look at the paint in the direct sunlight and noticed spider webbing I guess you call it. Circular reflections around the direct sun light. I also noticed a few light scratches i had never really noticed. I would hope that as careful as I was it was not a result of my cleaning efforts but me revealing what was already there.

So here comes the questions finally!

I know missing in my arsenal is a DA polisher. I'm contemplating the Flex and I've read all the chains telling that I need one. I got it!! :D

In the meantime, is there anything I can do by hand to remove these? Also, in the normal course of washing/waxing with the above steps should I expect to add scratches/swirls as just the "nature of the beast"?

Next, I'm a little confused/afraid by the Flex. Within the steps I took this weekend, how many steps would I be adding and where would they go?

Would I use Paint Cleaner first to clean the surface and then run Flex or Flex then clean, then wax?

Also, assuming minor webbing/scratching how many times would I need to go over the car with the flex? I've read about the various pads etc and I'm wondering if I start with minor scratches and remove them is that a 1 step, 2 step, etc

Finally, using the flex no doubt introduces abrasion. Over a long enough time this would have to ultimately cause damage I would assume. So the question is, how often do you recommend a full polish like this? I know a simple answer is when needed but I guess this goes back to my previous question about what to expect from normal washing/waxing.

I fully expect to wash my car at least once a week. I would expect with Carn. wax to probably use the cleaner/wax at least once a month.

In this regimen, where does Flex/Polishing fit in? Do you polish every waxing? Twice a year? etc.

2 other real quick questions:

1. I had some light overspray from something and I ultimately used GoofOff to remove it. It worked great and I have seen no reprocussions so far. Any thoughts on that? I noticed a few threads about over spray.
2. I have an odd spot on my hood that looks like maybe tree sap or something. It feels smooth to the touch but will not come off. I was hoping the P21s Cleanser would get it but no luck. Also, GoofOff did not work. Will Flex process remove that or do you have any other suggestions?

As you might expect, my ultimate fear in all of this damaging my babies skin!

Thanks a bunch for feedback and all that you guys do to help us amateurs out!

ASPHALT ROCKET
07-16-2008, 11:03 AM
Welcome Keith-as far as the swirl marks it was probably from the place you bought it from, must have had a bunch of filler in ti to make the paint look like it did. When you washed it all the filler was removed. Also when washing are you using the two bucket method and I would sheet the water before drying so there is less water on the vehicle and no need to over dry it to induce those little swirls. The paint cleaner would probably hide the swirls by hand but it would be a very good idea to purchase a PC or Flex. The flex or pc are not going to hurt the finish over time unless somehow the side of an aggressive pad came in contact with your paint. I would get atleast 3 of the orange, green, white, blue, and black/gray pads. Pick up some Menzerna sip and 106FF/85RD or the new Wolfgang polishes. Use them with a green pad then follow up with a finishing pad-blue or gray and that should get rid of the swirls and then you can go to your lsp. If I missed something let me know and I reply to that also.

Keith Harrison
07-16-2008, 12:14 PM
Thanks for the quick response. I did not use the 2 bucket method but did read about it last night and will incorporate into my routine. Makes sense... Forgive me but what is LSP? By sheeting do you mean just drag a towel or something over the car to drag most water off, then dry lightly? That is pretty much what I did. I tried to go back in one of the more noticable spots on the rear hood with the P21 cleaner but it really didn't seem to affect the swirls all that much. Maybe a tiny bit. Might do more with a flex.

I assume SIP is Super Intensive Polish. There is a new 106FA. Would you stick with FF or buy the new one?

So in most cases it sounds like a 2 step process SIP w/ either OR/Green/Wh depending on condition and then 106FF or FA with Blue/Gray?

If doing this polishing, is there any need for the P21S cleanser in the mix? If yes, before or after above polishing?

Finally, any thought on the 2 quick questions?

Many thanks!

Keith Harrison
07-16-2008, 12:22 PM
2 more ? How many uses do you typically get out of a pad? And, do you normally polish every time you wax or do you wash/wax and only polish when needed?

redg35
07-16-2008, 01:25 PM
Thanks for the quick response. I did not use the 2 bucket method but did read about it last night and will incorporate into my routine. Makes sense... Forgive me but what is LSP? By sheeting do you mean just drag a towel or something over the car to drag most water off, then dry lightly? That is pretty much what I did. I tried to go back in one of the more noticable spots on the rear hood with the P21 cleaner but it really didn't seem to affect the swirls all that much. Maybe a tiny bit. Might do more with a flex.

I assume SIP is Super Intensive Polish. There is a new 106FA. Would you stick with FF or buy the new one?

So in most cases it sounds like a 2 step process SIP w/ either OR/Green/Wh depending on condition and then 106FF or FA with Blue/Gray?

If doing this polishing, is there any need for the P21S cleanser in the mix? If yes, before or after above polishing?

Finally, any thought on the 2 quick questions?

Many thanks!
LSP stands for last step process which means either a wax or sealent is next.Sheeting means just using the garden hose flow water on all parts of the car and the water will come off in sheets making it much easier to dry.
When you are using a ploish there is no need for a paint cleanser.

redg35
07-16-2008, 01:25 PM
2 more ? How many uses do you typically get out of a pad? And, do you normally polish every time you wax or do you wash/wax and only polish when needed?
Pads will last a pretty long time if taken care of and you only want to polish when needed.

ASPHALT ROCKET
07-16-2008, 02:15 PM
Redsg35 pretty much answered your questions. I like the ff a little better, less working time. And yes following up with finishing polish on a finishing pad is key and will make a difference. I always like to use a paint cleaner after a wash and then lsp. I am not into using quick detailer sprays, only for clay lube.

Keith Harrison
07-16-2008, 09:25 PM
Thanks all. OK so I am committed now to the Flex. Thoughts on pads? Should I just get the $469 Menz kit? Any major differences in the brand of pad that I should be aware of?

ASPHALT ROCKET
07-16-2008, 09:38 PM
I prefer the LC pads, had alot of problems with the Edge pads, plus if you get the Menzerna kit the LC pads actually work better with it than the Edge pads.

Keith Harrison
07-16-2008, 09:50 PM
Great Thx. Sorta figured since the LC's came in the kit they might be preferred but didn't want to assume.

ASPHALT ROCKET
07-16-2008, 09:53 PM
Sounds like you are all set now, just need to start ordering your stuff.:D

YankeeFan
07-17-2008, 06:29 AM
I prefer the LC pads, had alot of problems with the Edge pads, plus if you get the Menzerna kit the LC pads actually work better with it than the Edge pads.

Sorry to break in on this thread but curious what issues you had with the Edge while using a Flex. Thought using the Edge would be better as the pad will always be centered on the bp plus it moves the pad away from the bp so less chance of the backing plate rubbing.

Howard

Keith Harrison
07-17-2008, 09:02 PM
Sounds like you are all set now, just need to start ordering your stuff.:D

Ordered late last night and shipped today. Can only hope I get it by the weekend. Wife is at the beach with girlfriends and I'm home alone to play!!

Thanks all!

ASPHALT ROCKET
07-17-2008, 09:19 PM
Sorry to break in on this thread but curious what issues you had with the Edge while using a Flex. Thought using the Edge would be better as the pad will always be centered on the bp plus it moves the pad away from the bp so less chance of the backing plate rubbing.

Howard

They always seem to come apart and for some reason Edge's faom does not woek as well and/or produce as good as results as the LC or other brand pads, this has been voiced by other detailers not just myself. Plus all the problems Edge had with the adaptor coming apart I just don't have faith in their products and that is why alot of people have gone to a LC style pad also. As far as centering the LC pad I see no problems doing that and the backing plate their is a spacer with your pc that is to be used so the backing plate doesn't hit the machine. If you have any other questions about this just e-mail me, I don't want to hi-jack Keith's thread, just wanted to give a quick answer.

Ordered late last night and shipped today. Can only hope I get it by the weekend. Wife is at the beach with girlfriends and I'm home alone to play!!

Thanks all!

Lets us know how you make out with all your new stuff.

Keith Harrison
07-17-2008, 09:50 PM
I would get atleast 3 of the orange, green, white, blue, and black/gray pads. Pick up some Menzerna sip and 106FF/85RD or the new Wolfgang polishes. Use them with a green pad then follow up with a finishing pad-blue or gray and that should get rid of the swirls and then you can go to your lsp.

So, I was reading the instructions for the Menz/Flex kit that I am anxiously awaiting and it recommends:

Orange/SIP
White/Nano
Blue/Glaze Which I assume could also be the 85RD which I ordered in addition to the kit.

You recommended Green/SIP and then blue/Gray/nano/85RD. I just wanted to confirm your recommendation as the pads are a bit lighter than the instructions. I have read that you never want to go more abrasive than necessary and that certainly makes sense.

I just wanted to confirm your color/polish combination recommendations to start. The kit did not come with Green/grey but i ordered one of each seperate. I figure I can experiment with my actual car and buy more of the favs.

Thx.