PDA

View Full Version : A little disappointed...

Pages : [1] 2 3

f_bomb
07-15-2008, 02:07 PM
So things didn't come out quite like I expected...I didn't expect much, but I expected better than my OTC usual results. I've been reading up, but looking for more person advice, maybe something I am doing wrong. Heres the run down.

Vehicles: Black Infiniti (Nissan) and Flint Mica Scion.

Steps:
-Megs wash
-Wolfgang Clay bar
-Rinse/dry
-Klasse AIO (hand apply w/ MF towel)
-Natty Blue Wax (hand foam pad)
^Both buffed out with Cobra MF towels.

So the clay bar felt like it did good removing some grit/sap. Then to the Klasse...It seemed to clean well, but almost too well. It appeared to amplify the paint imperfections (slight swirls appeared for the first time on the Infiniti)...So on to the wax. Did okay, left the car soft and smooth, but didn't darken the cars appearance. The tC didn't have much better results, especially for newer paint!

So, I think I need a good polish or glaze!?!? It was said that the Klasse is a polish, so another wouldn't be needed...But I think I need something to darken the paint and fill the minor swirls. HELP! Blackfire? Black Hole? Sonus? Menz? Megs? 3M...? I am leaning towards Blackfire, but I don't want to spend more than $20. They all have good reviews and I am horrible at making decisions :)

I haven't made the PC move yet and I know that helps a lot, I should just bought it in the start up kit rather than the $100 worth of product...But now I am where I am and can't justify another $200 or car cleaning product for a bit...I own a random orbital buffer, but didn't use it for this wash... Right now I am just looking for something to help the appearance for a while, until I get a PC.

A little advice/help PLEASE AND THANK YOU!

budman3
07-15-2008, 02:21 PM
Well, as you figured out, polishing is one of the most important steps in detailing. Without nicely polished paint, even the nicest wax will still look like crap. Klasse AIO is a chemical polish and does nothing to remove swirls or to darken the paint. Without polishing, a filling glaze sounds like something you want, and Poorboy's Black Hole is probably the right fit. Use the Black Hole and then top with Natty's ... remember, less is more with PB products (and almost all detailing products actually).

Meghan
07-15-2008, 02:44 PM
Ok few questions so I can help, you said you haven't made the PC move yet... that means you are doing all this by hand?
And exactly what kind of condition is the paint in? We can help you out, just let us know what we are dealing with...

f_bomb
07-15-2008, 02:51 PM
Thanks budman, I also bought the PB QD+...I topped it off with some of that the other night to see if it helped any, it darkened it up a small touch (I guess the oils?). And I figured the less is best w/ QD+

Should I go Klasse then PB BH or skip the Klasse next time?

Also, I have the DP shampoo wash. Should I use that to wash, then polish/wax or start with Megs to remove everything next wash and start all over?

Lastly, should I use my random orbital buffer to apply these? I don't mind hand applying. But could probably get a better result with the RO...?

f_bomb
07-15-2008, 03:12 PM
Ok few questions so I can help, you said you haven't made the PC move yet... that means you are doing all this by hand?
And exactly what kind of condition is the paint in? We can help you out, just let us know what we are dealing with...

Yep hand app...Cobra MF app with the Klasse, foam pad for the Natty...Both buffed out with new MF towel.

As for the paint...
The Infiniti is in excellent almost new shape! Especially for an 8 year old car.
-EXCEPT for the hood, which has a good amount of pin head chips, a few oxy spots/stains(?) a few slight scratches and the newly acquired faint swirl marks :(
-AND the rear bumper has been repainted and is a little dull/orange peely to begin with.

I wasn't expecting a miracle on the hood. But it magnified the badness and left the finish with a slight orange peel everywhere else.

The tC is a year old...
Great shape, except for a few scratches (4) random areas and the front bumper is nicked from road debris.

I will have to take some pics for ya.

Thanks Meghan!

img
07-15-2008, 03:40 PM
F-bomb. I posted yeaterday--"The time is worth it"(see pics). My car is also 8+ years old. You can read on the forum, over and over, about the difference you can only get with a PC or other similar product. Your best bet is to get one of the kits that include the pads--I probably have over $500 invested in pads (ha). I think this will deliver the results you are looking for.

Good shining,

Major Mike

Mindflux
07-15-2008, 04:07 PM
Detailing is definitely more about process than product. Keep that in mind.

f_bomb
07-15-2008, 04:10 PM
^^^hahaz, crazy, I just posted in your thread before I saw this...

I know a PC is my answer, but $200 is not an option right now. I justified the original $110 spent b/c I wanted a step up from over the counter products...Which I got, but am doing something wrong or (what I think) I am skipping a step.

I am not showing my cars at events or detailing on the side. I would drop the $$$ for a PC in a heart beat if I was...I plan on getting one, but I have other $$$ priorities right now. If I could do it over, I would dropped the extra $50-$70 (to my original order cost) and got a PC start up kit and used the OTC products I had, then slowly built up a AGO product collection...But thats hind-sight!

Rsurfer
07-15-2008, 04:27 PM
Detailing is definitely more about process than product. Keep that in mind.
I agree with you to a certain extent. IMO polishing is 90% and LSP is only 10% of the finish. That being said, product does make a difference. As an example, I could never get the results with OP vrs. Menz. Menz just gets better results.

Mindflux
07-15-2008, 04:41 PM
I agree with you to a certain extent. IMO polishing is 90% and LSP is only 10% of the finish. That being said, product does make a difference. As an example, I could never get the results with OP vrs. Menz. Menz just gets better results.

You'll learn better some day ;)

That's not being said that some product can make it EASIER. But you can achieve good to great results with just OTC stuff if you really wanted to learn the process.

Rsurfer
07-15-2008, 04:48 PM

That's not being said that some product can make it EASIER. But you can achieve good to great results with just OTC stuff if you really wanted to learn the process.Why dont you post your process with pictures so we can all learn from you.

f_bomb
07-15-2008, 05:11 PM
Well, the OTC stuff I used the orbital buffer to apply. I just figured with the better product I'd get better results. Since the KAIO directed hand app and the Natty is a paste wax, I figured I'd get good results hand applying. I am a noob, but I have hand waxed before with great results (I even simple hand detailed at a drive thru carwash in my younger years)...I'll give the old poor man's PC (orbital buffer) a shot with some PB Black Hole? I am sure everyone has an opinion about polishes. I like PB's approach to giving fair priced products and their good reviews. Any added polish opinions are appreciated (saves me looking through search results again).

Also, I have the DP shampoo wash. Could I use that to wash, then polish/wax or am I better off starting with Megs to remove everything and starting all over?

^^^???

ScottB
07-15-2008, 05:12 PM
I too think a machine and polishing will help tremendously and show clearer results. Dont give up ...

Rsurfer
07-15-2008, 05:53 PM
Well, the OTC stuff I used the orbital buffer to apply. I just figured with the better product I'd get better results. Since the KAIO directed hand app and the Natty is a paste wax, I figured I'd get good results hand applying. I am a noob, but I have hand waxed before with great results (I even simple hand detailed at a drive thru carwash in my younger years)...I'll give the old poor man's PC (orbital buffer) a shot with some PB Black Hole? I am sure everyone has an opinion about polishes. I like PB's approach to giving fair priced products and their good reviews. Any added polish opinions are appreciated (saves me looking through search results again).

^^^???PBs SSR line is good, however you need a DA polisher to get good results. Menz is another great polish, a little more $$, but great polish. Again a DA is needed.

ASPHALT ROCKET
07-15-2008, 06:26 PM

That's not being said that some product can make it EASIER. But you can achieve good to great results with just OTC stuff if you really wanted to learn the process.

I would also like to see this Rsurfer, all this guy does on the forums is talk BS or complain. FBomb as far as getting the result you want you are going to need to atleast step up to a pc and some decent polish, my go to polishes are Menzerna, 3M, or a few from Megs. If you went this way you would see a big difference in your paints finish.