PDA

View Full Version : Is Polishing Compound Directly Related With Polishing Pads

Justin
07-14-2008, 07:25 AM
Hi,

I need some expert to advise me on choosing the type of pad vs the polishing compound? Is the pad or the compound doing the cutting? As i encounter in difficult in removing the water mark?

Dust2Glory
07-14-2008, 02:43 PM
both do the cutting... as far as foam pads do, you can use a Yellow or an Orange LC pad for compounding. If either of those fail you, then you will need to step up into a wool pad. The Purple Foamed Wool pad is a good one to start out with

ScottB
07-14-2008, 04:29 PM
pads and polishes are both abrasive, and to varying degrees. You gotta pick the correct combo.

D_Nyholm
07-14-2008, 04:58 PM
I have a noob question to add to this. From reading on here, it seemed that an orange pad and SIP would basically cover the most aggressive that I would need in my arsenal or hobby detailing. Am I wrong in this regard? I am having a tough time cutting down as much as I would like with the Orange pad. I did order a Yellow pad, but I am a little reluctant to use it, am I just being too cautious?

Rsurfer
07-14-2008, 07:26 PM
I have a noob question to add to this. From reading on here, it seemed that an orange pad and SIP would basically cover the most aggressive that I would need in my arsenal or hobby detailing. Am I wrong in this regard? I am having a tough time cutting down as much as I would like with the Orange pad. I did order a Yellow pad, but I am a little reluctant to use it, am I just being too cautious?I would pefer to up the polish to Powergloss, but since you ordered the yellow pad, give it a try. It will probably cause some hazing and you will need 106 to finish down.

Justin
07-15-2008, 06:51 AM
both do the cutting... as far as foam pads do, you can use a Yellow or an Orange LC pad for compounding. If either of those fail you, then you will need to step up into a wool pad. The Purple Foamed Wool pad is a good one to start out with

Hi,

Can you advise me what the different between compounding pad & foam wool pad?

ASPHALT ROCKET
07-15-2008, 09:48 AM
A foam wool is going to cut a little better and faster. A full wool pad will give you the best cut and it levels the paint the best. I would also try to pick up some M105, M95, or powergloss for the tough swirls. I feel if you are going to go as far as using a orange or yellow pad you might as well get a wool pad. They are much easier to use and like I said above they cut better and level the finish so you can move on to your final polish step with a better preped surface.

Justin
07-16-2008, 09:54 PM
Hi guys,

I presently using the following items, can you guys advise me which pad should i use to correct water mark or light swirl?
SSR2
SSR1
Poorsboys Polish
Ex-Sealant

Thank

ScottB
07-17-2008, 08:38 AM
Hi guys,

I presently using the following items, can you guys advise me which pad should i use to correct water mark or light swirl?
SSR2
SSR1
Poorsboys Polish
Ex-Sealant

Thank

In general using the Wolfgang pads :

SSR2 -- orange pad, or white for lower markings
SSR1 -- white pad, or finishing pad (follow from same)
Poorboys Polish -- (with or without sealant), likely light pads like white or grey
EX-Sealant -- hand application , or finishing pads only (blue as possible)

Justin
07-19-2008, 07:30 AM
A foam wool is going to cut a little better and faster. A full wool pad will give you the best cut and it levels the paint the best. I would also try to pick up some M105, M95, or powergloss for the tough swirls. I feel if you are going to go as far as using a orange or yellow pad you might as well get a wool pad. They are much easier to use and like I said above they cut better and level the finish so you can move on to your final polish step with a better preped surface.

Hi Rocket,

Which is better to control in term of usage?