PDA

View Full Version : When towing a large trailer...

wagonproject
07-12-2008, 07:05 PM
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b175/wagonproject/Camper_hits_ATM_crushed-da.gif

Truck/Travel Trailer Crashes Texas State Bank- July 2, 2008
At approximately 3 PM, Tuesday, July 2, a 2008 Dodge Ram 2500, pulling a new travel trailer, hit the corner of the Texas State Bank Drive-In on Tenaha Street, causing the complete awning to come to the ground. Luckily, the driver of the Dodge, Mickey Miller, of Garrison and his 10 year old son were able to exit their vehicle uninjured.

According to Miller he was circling the bank to park on the other side when the corner of his travel trailer caught the corner of the bank awning. Next thing he heard was a rumble as the awning started falling against his driver's side door. Somehow he was able to unbuckle the seat beat and exit the other side of his truck as it was falling.

Sorry if its a repost.

nitro78
07-12-2008, 07:25 PM
i like the term "caught" the bank awning. it looked to me like he forgot about his clearence and luckily didn't get him or his son hurt in the process.

BearValley
07-12-2008, 07:46 PM
"Caught the corner"? He nailed it fairly good!

I also liked the way the column on the right hit the ground first. Lateral support? We don't need no stinkin' lateral support!

supercharged
07-12-2008, 11:21 PM
why tow something this big???

BrOkEn_Dc2
07-13-2008, 12:37 AM
Looks like an honest mistake, I give the guy props for thinking so quickly and moving to the passenger side (Most likely covering his son) before he was crushed.

mingraygt
07-13-2008, 05:22 AM
Someone was watching over them!!

Bunky
07-13-2008, 05:47 AM
"Caught the corner"? He nailed it fairly good!

I also liked the way the column on the right hit the ground first. Lateral support? We don't need no stinkin' lateral support!

You are right about that. For an application like this where getting hit is not a unexpected event, they should have provided support unless they felt it was better to laterally fall vs vertically fall.

67Customs
07-13-2008, 05:16 PM
The story and the video seem to dissagree a bit. It looks to me that he didn't get out of the truck before it crashed doen on him. I am amazed that he survived. I would like to see the video in real time.

StephenK
07-13-2008, 09:36 PM
The story and the video seem to dissagree a bit. It looks to me that he didn't get out of the truck before it crashed doen on him. I am amazed that he survived. I would like to see the video in real time.

if you look close enough right before the awning comes down on the truck the passenger doors opens. you see the day light through it