PDA

View Full Version : Which products to take swirls out of a 07 Nissan Altima?

1hawaii50
07-10-2008, 11:58 PM
I read in one of the other posts that Nissan may be using a harder clearcoat? All I know is the paint on my car gets chipped very easily, and I have read on some Nissan forums that Nissans are known for their thin paint. I have a 07 Altima that I have waxed with either Meguiars NXT, or Meguiars High-tec yellow wax about 5-6 times in the year I've had the car. I have since noticed that there are fine swirls and scratches in the clearcoat. I would like to know what products I should use to remove them. I purchased the Wolfgang/Souveran kit, but I don't want to use it until I get rid of the swirls. I will be purchasing either a PC, or a G110 to use also. I was looking at the Wolfgang total swirl remover and finishing glaze. Would these work for me, or should I use something else? Thanks for the recommendations. If it makes a difference, my car's color is Majestic Blue, which is a medium/dark metallic blue.

wytstang
07-11-2008, 12:16 AM
The Wolfgang swirl/glaze should work just fine, just start with the least aggressive method first.

1hawaii50
07-11-2008, 06:21 AM
Should I start with the finishing glaze with an orange pad, and if that doesn't do it move up to the swirl remover? Which pad would be the best to start with? I don't have the G110 or pads yet, so I still need to pick those up. Also, would the 4.5" pads be any easier to work with than the 6.5" pads?

KG21
07-11-2008, 01:49 PM
I would start off with the swirl remover and LC white polishing pad. If that isn't cutting it, then I would step up to the LC orange pad. I would finish off with the glaze and LC blue pad for that little extra pop. I wouldn't, however, use the LC orange pad with the glaze.

1hawaii50
07-11-2008, 06:31 PM
Thanks for the help.

MadOzodi
07-11-2008, 11:48 PM
4.5 or 5.5" pads for the PC/UDM/G110

ScottB
07-12-2008, 07:06 AM
In the past Nissan paint was actually quite light and prone to chipping (especially the front). I know they designed a new clearcoat that can supposedly repair itself, but dont believe it ever went into production.

1hawaii50
07-12-2008, 07:24 AM
In the past Nissan paint was actually quite light and prone to chipping (especially the front). I know they designed a new clearcoat that can supposedly repair itself, but dont believe it ever went into production.

I believe you're right. It seems like anything heavier than a gnat chips the hood. If I have a lot rounded, narrow body lines would I be better off with the smaller pad? It seems like if I use the larger pad on the sides of the car that I will be neeeding to tip the pad to it's edge to do the top of the side panels of the car, and I know you're supposed to keep the pad flat.

pricha00
07-14-2008, 06:54 AM

I don't know about the good ole USA but up here in the Great White North I saw Nissan ads touting the new self healing paint. It is really supposed to work too.

Pat.

nitro78
07-14-2008, 10:03 PM
hmmm....self healing clearcoat. i am fairly interested in the science behind this if true.