PDA

View Full Version : spray on wax vs quick detail

12v
07-10-2008, 11:03 PM
this is a when and where and why to use basis.

what i have used and from previous experience. Honestly what is the difference between a quick detail spray and a spray on wax?

You spent all of this time washing, claying, prepping, polishing cleaning, sealing and waxing your paint... After a few storms, some driving etc... your car is not so new looking anymore. To my experience you buy some good car was ex. duragloss 901. your car looks shiny and new again. What I dont understand is the quick deatail spray.

You wash your car and spray this stuff on, and wham your back to wow again right? Sure it works. It brings back the life to the paint that no ordinary detergent can do. But its not good for long.

Back when i had my old civic... kept a layer of wax on it... i used a quick detailer spray after every wash, and was happy with it. Come to think about it now, shouldnt there be something better? Well you have spray on waxes... some of them contain carnaubas... carnaubas are protectants and enhance gloss right? why not use that instead?

From past memory there is no quick to perfection, but if you spray on protectant everyime you wash your car cant that original coat of wax (say carnauba) just be a protectant on its own without having to reapply wax every so often? Maybe not since your wax wears off eventually, but your adding some everytime right? Im just a little confused about the whole spray on whipe off situation which works so freaking good but doesnt last long... the way I see it in past experiences both quick detailers and spray on waxes both last the same amount of time an do the same thing. Ive never used a carnauba based one like the pinnacle, but ive tried quite a few on my old car.

so just looking for a little info thats all

wytstang
07-10-2008, 11:20 PM
QDing is just to just spruce up the appearance of the paint (they contain gloss enhancers) and remove any water spots that have appeared. Spray waxes (or spray sealants) are stand alone products. You are adding a layer of protection to the paint. The reason everyone doesn't just use a spray wax (or sealant) instead of a QD is because they may change the look of the LSP that on the vehicle. An example would be a vehicle wearing Ziano , highly reflective and bright appearance. If you used a spray wax it would completely change that to a more warm toned down look.
Make sense or clear as mud?

12v
07-10-2008, 11:49 PM
yeah, makes sense, but if you have products like the pinnacle detailer designed for its products that have protection... and aw designed to go with the 105... why bother with a quick detail?? there should be no need for one. If you have water spots a good shampoo will get that out, if not a clay, if not a tar and bug remover.

I could be wrong... but what would be the proper steps to maintaining that look? would it be wash, dry, quick detail, then spray wax? or just was spray wax and quick detail when needed?

wytstang
07-11-2008, 12:04 AM
Well you don't have to bother with them it's just a choice/alternative given to spruce up the paint. They can also be used on very lightly dusted cars to clean the paint up. Believe me if you live in an area where pollen is insane then you would see a real reason to use a qd type product. Also some offer anti-static properties which can help during pollen season. Spray waxes/sealants are helpless in these situation and washing your car every 2 days just isn't practice. They have their place.

I could be wrong... but what would be the proper steps to maintaining that look? would it be wash, dry, quick detail, then spray wax? or just was spray wax and quick detail when needed?
Just spray wax and qd as needed.