PDA

View Full Version : my list#2 buffing

98bmw323is
03-19-2006, 10:45 PM
So ive done some looking around for pads/polishing compounds.

I will be using a rotary buffer (I have used this before so im not worried about its strength)

as for compounds and polishes:

Heavycut: Meguiars #4 heavycut cleaner
Medium cut: Meguiars #83 dual action cleaner/polish
Lightcut: Meguiars #2 fine cut cleaner
Polish: im looking for something without any fillers, suggestions?
Light polish: im looking for something without any fillers, suggestions?
Finish: Meguiars #81 hand polish

as for pads im kinda lost as to which ones i need for the above products.
I was looking at these http://www.autogeek.net/curvededge.html should I just get 1 of each?

*comments suggestions* thank you.

ScottB
03-20-2006, 07:53 PM
So ive done some looking around for pads/polishing compounds.

I will be using a rotary buffer (I have used this before so im not worried about its strength)

as for compounds and polishes:

Heavycut: Meguiars #4 heavycut cleaner
Medium cut: Meguiars #83 dual action cleaner/polish
Lightcut: Meguiars #2 fine cut cleaner
Polish: im looking for something without any fillers, suggestions?
Light polish: im looking for something without any fillers, suggestions?
Finish: Meguiars #81 hand polish

as for pads im kinda lost as to which ones i need for the above products.
I was looking at these http://www.autogeek.net/curvededge.html should I just get 1 of each?

*comments suggestions* thank you.

you could probably cut this list to two products as needed. Optimum Polish and Optimums Hyper Compound. They will fit well for all levels based on pad choice. Wiping with a mix of alcohol/water or a quick wash after polishing will leave finish pristine with no fillers on paint. (my preferred line of attack)

98bmw323is
03-20-2006, 09:52 PM
so i should buy all the pads but just buy the 2 optimum compounds? then i can use the yellow and orange pad with the hyper compound to remove deep scratches then other pads with the other compounds to remove lighter scratches and swirls? also to remove oxidation.

joe.p
03-20-2006, 10:23 PM
so i should buy all the pads but just buy the 2 optimum compounds? then i can use the yellow and orange pad with the hyper compound to remove deep scratches then other pads with the other compounds to remove lighter scratches and swirls? also to remove oxidation.
Since you have a good compund and polish, I would have:

1) light cut pad..(compund)
2) polishing pads.. you won't have to clean one after compounding in order to move on to your next step..(Polish)
1) finishing pad for applying wax,sealants etc

Be very Careful if you go with a heavy cut pad on a rotorary.Most swirls can be removed with a good swirl remover and a polishing pad..

Please feel free to add your comments/corrections..

ScottB
03-21-2006, 06:06 PM
The Hyper Compound in not really a compound (although very close). I really consider it s HYPER POLISH. I have never found a need for their true compound. And you can never have two many pads. 2 orange -- 2 grey minimum per car. White pads are great for middle ground and I dont use the yellows much at all anymore

98bmw323is
03-21-2006, 06:33 PM
oh i want to buff my friends car and he has tons and tons of swirls and it looks like that might be alittle more hard to get out then the average, alittle deeper. Maybe ill just get these for now and if i need to ill order a more aggresive polish it those dont work.