PDA

View Full Version : Marine Teflon

juzzbrilliant
07-29-2006, 01:43 PM
hi guys,

jus wanna find out more about marine teflon? anyone out there ever tried?
would really appreciate if somebody could educate me more on this product..

cheers
juzzbrilliant

ScottB
07-30-2006, 09:00 AM
teflon in any application is usually a falsity. Dupont came out several years ago and offered that unless teflon is baked onto its product and very high heat, it does nothing to benefit the outcome. It was directly in relation to all the waxes and sealants hitting the market and offering teflon or its true name ph............ (Sp) as being hogwash.

juzzbrilliant
07-31-2006, 08:52 AM
oh thanks for the advise killrwheels..
so its all crap, now i know.
cheers

Surfer
07-31-2006, 10:17 AM
Gotta love the new Dupont Commercials with their Teflon line. Talk about going back on your word, total opposite of what they originally stated lol. Isn't this what the other stuff is, like 5 Star Shine or something like that?

juzzbrilliant
07-31-2006, 10:43 AM
5 star shine? wat i heard was star brite for boats.

Surfer
07-31-2006, 10:57 AM
5 star shine? wat i heard was star brite for boats.5 Star Shine is a different product, I was just trying to remember if it was part of the teflon gimick marketing.

mtsl500
07-31-2006, 11:22 AM
teflon or its true name ph............ (Sp)

polytetrafluoroethylene ... don't ask how I know I'll just admit to being a geek

I also thought that Teflon starts to degrade at a temperature of a little over 250F. Aside from Teflon flu, the liquid used to create teflon (perfluorooctanoic acid) is a very carcinogenic compound and i'm guessing some of this would have to exist in anything that truly applies teflon to a vehicle. Not really my idea of fun, playing with carcinogens (unless they have Marlboro stamped on them and I have a nice drink in my hand).

Also, since the chemical structure of teflon is incapable of forming any rigid or sturdy polymer shape, meaning it will change its distribution even after it has set up. Imagine having your sealant start bunching up in certain areas leaving other areas unprotected shortly after application.