PDA

View Full Version : Don't be a feline!!!!!

pricha00
07-05-2008, 11:01 AM
Still a real newbie here. Only had my UDM for about a year and I am slowly learning as I go. Rav4 is black so any screw ups are readily visible in the correct light. Probably been polished at least once a month when the weather is decent and my wife isn't on my back to vacuum or help inside the house. Always had some marring and hazing left on the upper door area and it was really getting annoying to me. Tried some new polishes that I picked up from Autogeek on my trip to Disney last year. They seem to work better with my UDM but still not %100 defect free. Today I threw caution to the wind and went for it!! Using a test area I started with 4 inch orange CCS pad and some XMT#3. Looked okay until the halo came out. Still many scratches left. So even though it didn't work well the first time I tried them I switched to 6.5 inch white CCS pad and Optimum Compound. My issue with this product was that it wasn't really dusting and breaking down like the Pinnacle polish does. Anyways, I used very little product and did my normal buffing routine. SUCCESS!!!!! I couldn't find any swirls or marring even with the halo. If I wasn't outside I would have done a dance. I did both upper doors with this process. They were the worst areas. Followed up with Optimum polish on white 6.5 CCS pad. Then last step was XMT #1 on a 6.5 CCS black finessing pad. Topped if off with some #845 for now because my wife was making her voice heard that I work on the car way too much. It feels good to finally make black look better then just OK. I would have done the whole car but that would have taken at least 4 or 5 hours and that could be divorce territory in my household. Once I have a chance to get the whole vehicle done I will post some quality pics.

Pat.

ScottB
07-05-2008, 11:42 AM
thats the way to do it ... step by step and finding the right polish/pad for your equation. And yes, Optimum polish takes a very long time to break down but gives more time to correction too.