PDA

View Full Version : Microfiber Everywhere - Let's sort them out!

Pages : [1] 2

leepriestenator
07-05-2008, 10:17 AM
First post here !!!
Like so many before me... this is one addictive place. Feel like a kid in a candy store.

I've been trying to get a big order through the door, but the sheer number of MF options are killing me.

I've been reading through all the various threads for a good 6 hours now and i'm more confused than ever.

I thought it's about time that it's sorted out better.

Type 1 - WASHING

1) Cobra Orange Micro-Chenille Wash Mitt
2) Cobra Green Micro-Chenille Wash Mitt
Question 1: Any difference between the two except the color?

Type 2 - DRYING

1) Cobra Guzzler HD Waffle Weave Drying Towel
Purpose: Extreme Drying (Comes with foam in between the Micro fiber layers)
Question 2: Do all of you prefer this over the regular WWs? If not, why?

2) The Guzzler Waffle Weave by Cobra 16 x 24
3) The Supreme Guzzler Waffle Weave By Cobra 20 x 40
Question 3: Will the HD Waffle absorb more water than the Supreme?
Note: The only difference I can see between these 2 is that the Supreme is larger in dimensions and is supposedly 20% thicker then the regular Guzzler.

4) The Guzzler Combo Kit
Contains one Guzzler and one Supreme Guzzler

Type 3 - POLISHING

1) Cobra Indigo Microfiber Polishing Cloth
2) Cobra Teal Edgeless Microfiber Polishing Cloth
3) Cobra Forest Green Edgeless Microfiber Polishing Cloth
Question 4: Is this only to remove excess waxes / polishes or can it be used for the final buff as well?
Question 5: Is it the same on both sides?
Question 6: is there any difference between them except the color?

4) Cobra Edgeless Microfiber Polishing Triple Pack
Contains two each of all the above polishing cloths.

Type 4 - ???

1) Cobra Super-Plush Deluxe Microfiber Towel
2) Cobra Deluxe Jr. Microfiber Towel (Smaller)
Question 7: Is it the same on both sides?
Question 8: I read that this is best for the final buff, but also read on the forums that they can be used for claying etc? What is the best use for this?
Note: The only difference I can see between these 2 is that Jr. is smaller than the first one.

3)Cobra Deluxe Combo Pack

Type 5 - ALL PURPOSE

1) Cobra Blue All Purpose Microfiber Towels 6 Pack
2) Cobra Yellow All Purpose Microfiber Towels 6 Pack
Question 9: What is the best use for this? Interiors, cleaning etc???

Type 6 - GLASS
1) Cobra Waffle Weave Microfiber Glass Towel - This is for Windshields and Glass

The ones below have left me completely stumped. How are they different from all the above mentioned towels. What is their use?

The Cobra Miracle Towel

Cobra Microfiber Detailing Cloth

Cobra Mango Breeze Microfiber Towels 6 Pack

It would be great if they could be categorized as

Wash
Dry
Clay
Compounding
Glazing
Polish / Wax
Sealant
Final Buff

Interiors
General Cleaning

Jimmie
07-05-2008, 11:36 AM
#1: You're right, color difference only.
#2: I like the HD but use the regular Guzzler more often since I dry with a blower and then a QD. Its more flexible to wipe around a QD.
#3: The HD will absorb more water.
#4,#5,#6: Both, final buff if you want. Same on both sides. Color is only difference.
#7: One side shorter nap, other side plusher.
#8: Best use is final buff jobs like QD'ing.
#9: All purpose for the dirtier jobs; interior, etc. They cost less and get stained quickly.

ScottB
07-05-2008, 11:37 AM
Answer Key
1. color difference is correct
2. I use standard, HD has a foam core and holds more water, since I use a leaf blower first, no matter
3. HD typically holds more water, yes.
4. Designed for polish and wax removal only, has a slight nap to pull it away from surface and both sides are similar
5. See Above
6. yes, I believe same. Indigos and teal edgeless are same for sure
7. slightly more plush on one side, but not much is noted
8. quick detailing, spray waxes, and final buffing
9. dash, interiors, underhood, non-painted areas (Mango's are general purpose)

Miracle Towel -- nice a plush but not super plush, work well for wax removal if you prefer a thicker towel and can be used for washing too. Quick detailing would be another option.

leepriestenator
07-05-2008, 12:23 PM
WOW... that was fast. Thanks fellas.

Couple of questions before I update the first post for MF NEWBz like myself.

1) Super-Plush and Jr. Towels -
a) What can the side that is not plush be used for? WAX / Polish removal?
b) Is it recommended to do that or use a seperate Polishing cloth for that as I would be using it later for the final buff.
c) Also, is it possible to use the non-plush side for the final buff or is tht a bad idea?

2) Miracle Towel - What I gather from your post 'killr' is that this towel is inbetween the Polishing towels and the Super Plush towels. Would there be any need to use this if I plan on splitting all my towels based on usage? as in seperate towels for Final Buffing and wax/polish removal?

3) Are the mangoes exactly the same as the other two All-Purpose towels? or are there any mild differences?

4) What about the Cobra MF Detailing Cloth?

Lastly, is this a good combo?

1) Wash - Wash Mitts
2) Drying - One of the WW Guzzlers
3) Removal - Polishing MFs
4) Final Buff - Super Plush / Jr.
6) All Purpose - All Purpose MF towels... is there anything else you can recommend for this purpose that doesn't get stained as quickly?

ScottB
07-05-2008, 03:51 PM
did someone tell you I am MF towel nut, I seem to be tested here !!

1. Super Plush towels are typically designed for final buffing and quick detailers. While the other side is not as thick, it is still quite thick and might be too much for polishes specifically. It usually works quite well with a very light sealant that needs removal.

2. Miracle Towel fits in between as noted. It was originally one of the thickest on the market back when towels first released. It has been upgraded several times and finally worth the designation again. Its does just about everything its needed to do. I dont however use for drying but I do use it for washing in a pinch.

3. I dont see enough of a difference to claim Mangos are anything but more colorful personally.

4. I dont remember this one ... gonna have to visit site and collection.

Lastly your combo is spot on but you seem to be missing a 5 in the list. I would also highly suggest you pickup a Supreme or two. These can replace the Ultra/Jrs. as wanted and the thickest towel offering currently. So soft you will want to sleep with them.

Keep your MF towels seperate from all other laundry, even towels. Wash them in a dedicated cleaner like Microrestore. Get some dryer balls (blue) and never use any fabric softner. As they discolor over time you will likely replace/upgrade anyways as new MF towels are always being released.

ScottB
07-05-2008, 03:59 PM
http://www.auto-geek.net/mfchart9-28-06.jpg

MF chart ... uses on far right as needed. Detailing cloths use to come in the kits and are slightly thicker than general purpose but thinner than Miracle Towel.

thesacrifice
07-06-2008, 05:57 PM
I think you can go nuts on MF...but I use Cobra purple and blue for pretty much everything with a lot of success.

leepriestenator
07-11-2008, 02:28 PM
That's what I call an orgy of information. Thank you all. I will update the first post with all the info.

ScottB
07-12-2008, 07:09 AM
looks like they are all on sale thru the weekend, again !

WilliamSit
03-19-2009, 10:06 PM
Sorry for bumping up an old thread, but i am not sure if i should get the edgeless or normal mf for polish removal. will the different woven pattern scratch the paint surface?

img
03-19-2009, 11:31 PM
I have every color in the orchard/grove: To simplify:

HD Guzzler
Arctic white
530's
New 750's after you shower from a hard day detailing

loudog2
03-20-2009, 06:11 AM
The best towels for removal is the indigo and the artic white edgless. IMO The blue indigo rolls-up on you a lot more than the artic white edgless. So my choice would be the artic white edgless.

Wendell Jarvis
03-20-2009, 08:17 AM
looks like they are all on sale thru the weekend, again !

Killr, Since you are knowledgeable with MF's, what is the best blend? To keep from any type of marring....also, what is or some of the best for drying....I was looking at the Guzzler Combo Pak..Cobra-CK....I saw the HD Guzzler........just looking for more bang for the buck......whats your recommendation........

DiPaoro
03-20-2009, 08:53 AM
The mango breeze is not good at all and the indigo has worked well for me. I do like the green 750 for final buffing and QD...just my 2 cents.

img
03-20-2009, 10:20 AM
As an OCD owner of 97 microfiber towels(last count), I would still recommend, as posted:

HD Guzzler
Arctic White