PDA

View Full Version : Bleach or what for driveway?

Pages : [1] 2

scooterguitar
07-29-2006, 09:20 AM
I need to clean and pressure wash my garage this week to prepare for our reception, as the food will be in the garage. Pressure ashing works great as I have done it before, but wondering if I should apply bleach, soap, or some chemical like an APC to the floor to get it super clean?
I alreayd have planned to keep one of my Pits at my detailing products area to keep any nosey guests at bay:D

belcherm58
07-29-2006, 12:57 PM
I used some Catrol Super Clean ( Purple Stuff ) Once to clean a garage floor
for a friend that was selling his house. He was a mechanic and the floor
had plent of oil and grease stains. It worked great. I would not let the mist
hit you car. It has a bad habit of spoting paint like on cars. I used a broom
to agitate the tough stains and let it dwell on the surface for 10 minutes.

GearHead_1
07-29-2006, 12:57 PM
Acid etch and UCoatIt epoxy will leave you with an unbelievably clean floor.:awesome:

supercharged
07-29-2006, 01:51 PM
Pressure ashing

:confused:

dengood1
07-29-2006, 01:56 PM
I use chlorine and water solution for all my sidewalks, driveway, etc. It's twice a strong as bleach and 1/2 the price. Mix it with water and it's 1/4 the price of bleach:D Pool supply company's and home improvement stores(I think) carry it. Spray, let sit for 10 minutes, then rinse. No pressure washing needed.

Castrol Super clean or Purple stuff works good too.

Good luck!!

dengood1
07-29-2006, 01:58 PM
Acid etch and UCoatIt epoxy will leave you with an unbelievably clean floor.:awesome:

I'm going to use UCoatIt's kit for my garage when I have time. It looks amazing from what I've seen. Where can you get the acid etch? Lowe's?

Thanks

GearHead_1
07-29-2006, 02:01 PM
Any hardware store will sell muratic acid. It's a little harsh for just a clean up though. It will remove most oil stains and it will discolor cement. That's why I was saying acid before epoxy.

dengood1
07-29-2006, 02:05 PM
So you use muratic acid to etch the concrete? Any steps before that? What if the floor is already painted, but needs refinished?

GearHead_1
07-29-2006, 02:24 PM
Shot blasting is probably the easiest way to remove paint. Some epoxies don't require the removal of a previous coat assuming it's a sound foundation. I think UCoatIt requires a clean concrete to begin with. Mine was new so I didn't have to worry about that part of it.

dengood1
07-29-2006, 02:30 PM
shot blasting??

belcherm58
07-29-2006, 02:42 PM
The only thing I hate about bleach or chlorine is the odor. My x-wife used
it to clean up the dog room. She showed dogs. The smell and taste lasted
for a few hours. No I did not taste it, You got a taste in your mouth from
it being used that way. Cannot be good for you. Chlorine is toxic and the
smell is the chlorine eveporating into the air.

GearHead_1
07-29-2006, 04:02 PM
shot blasting?? It's a media blaster that uses the same principal as sand blasting. It fires downward and then vacuums the excess shot (steel, I believe) back up (at least most of it.) You can rent it at stores like Lowes or Home Depot and they'll sell you a quantity of shot and you pay for what you use and then return what hasn't been used. I've only read about this so I can't give you first hand accounts. There's quite a bit of information written about it on another forum that I visit. If your interested in the URL PM me and I'll give it to you. Guys that have spent a lot of time trying to scrape or remove paint from a floor swear it's real life saver.

scooterguitar
07-29-2006, 05:24 PM
Oh, thanks for ht etips.
The floor is not oily or really bad, but I figured I wnated to super clean it this time, as all the food will be out there. I imagine soap would do it fine, but I'll probably try some of Purple Power and a little bleach.

dengood1
07-29-2006, 07:42 PM
Oh, thanks for ht etips.
The floor is not oily or really bad, but I figured I wnated to super clean it this time, as all the food will be out there. I imagine soap would do it fine, but I'll probably try some of Purple Power and a little bleach.

I wouldn't mix the two....could prove to be toxic----like bleach and ammonia mixed(DON'T EVER do that):eek:

texasdan
07-29-2006, 09:24 PM
Media blasters are good, but difficult to get in to corners and at the bottom of the wall, so some acid etching is still needed.

Remove paint with paint stripper, then acid etch after that.

Carefully pour some baking soda on your driveway so it doesn't get acid etched when you rinse out the garage and to neutralize the acid before it runs into the storm drain.