PDA

View Full Version : BIG RANT --- Cellular Telephones and Subsidy Codes

ScottB
07-03-2008, 08:03 PM
Gotta tell you I am at my wits end, and finally ended this ordeal tonight after dealing with A/T/T for 10 days on this issue. Heres a little story some may not know:

Most cellular telephones are locked at the factory to the carrier to help them keep service to themselves. This stops most from moving their SIM Card to another telephone and upgrading easily without need for a new contract and another huge outlay for some of the newer telephones.

I bought myself a Motorola Razr and service thru Cingular more than 3 years ago. I signed a one year contract for service and paid about 40.00 monthly. Mind you, I hate the damn things and only carry one for work and emergency home situations. My telephone still looks brand new and wifey wanted to use it as kids consistently play with the buttons on her Motorola SLVR. So I bought a touch screen LG more as a gimic and tossed her mine.

My SIM card went into new telephone without issue, transferring all my numbers and basically was a quick change. My wife added hers to the old RAZR and boom some enter code message comes up. We call A/T/T and get several codes that now change the message from "enter code" to "see service provider". I learned online about these SUBSIDY codes and that alot of companies sell the way to unlock the telephone for a price.

Now I should have paid the 5.99 to one of these companies, but I felt that I bought the telephone initially (not a pay as you go phone) and I covered my initial contract by more than 3x's without issue or even a late payment. This was my telephone to do as I wish or wanted.

A/T/T does not have the codes on file and must refer to the tech department. This department contacts me three days later and threatens they will not release info unless I provide the original proof of purchase from 3 years prior. I finally get to a supervisor that admits they never got it, nor do they have it, and will assist but needs a week. They finally release code 5 days later and forget the telephone is now locked in another way also because of all these bad code (PIN Codes) they were asking wife to enter into telephone. I had to go to Motorola directly on how to beat the first lock in order to unlock completely thru SUBSIDY code. (note Motorola will NOT release SUBSIDY codes directly)

Moral .... buy an unlocked telephone as possible and then choose the carrier of your choice without minimum contract, or get ready to ask for SUBSIDY code immediately once several months of on time payments are made and youve shown your likely going to stay in their service.

Jimmie
07-03-2008, 08:47 PM
Just not right. Handcuff the customer to the counter until they buy something. Extortion????

dengood1
07-03-2008, 10:22 PM
happened to me a couple of years back when I bought a used RAZR that was supposed to be unlocked. Well, it wasn't and had to pay an online company to unlock the subsidy code. I was with AT&T/Cingular when they merged and they tried to run it as two separate companies and AT&T people were treated like red headed step children (me), and I will NOT go back after a year of continuous incorrect billing issues(same issue corrected every month for over a year without actually being totally fixed and had to go through the hassle of correcting each month via 1-2 hour phone calls each time), dropped calls, etc., etc.! I eventually told them to stick it up their ass and had plenty of documentation confirming their errors(admitted). I never saw a fee for immediately discontinuing their service!! I have ALLTEL for 2 years now and have had no issues whatsoever.