PDA

View Full Version : Am I on the right road?

Kevzaz
07-01-2008, 08:51 PM
Ok, so I just want to make sure that I am doing the right thing here.

Exterior:
First: Wash using a microfiber mitt and Coral Blue washing detergent.
Second: Dry using California water blade and microfiber towels
Third: Clay bar the entire car
Fourth: Use Megs #83 if there are bad scratches then #80. Or if the scratches are small, just go to #80.
Fifth: Wax using Megs NXT 2.0 (for darker cars with flakes), or Meguiars Gold Class Liquid Wax (for lighter colored cars)

Interior:
First: Sweep the carpets, use carpet cleaner if bad.
Second: Use Megs #40 for interior dash board.
Third: Get windows with what ever window cleaner that doesn't have ammonia.

Wheels:
First: Wash off while like we did for rest of exterior
Second: Use Megs Hot Rims
Third: Use some type of tire shine

Please correct me, or suggest some other stuff.

blacknblu
07-01-2008, 10:02 PM

Hello Kevzaz - Welcome to the forum. Something I've been reading on the forum lately is some clay their car before drying. I haven't done this yet, but will next time my car needs to be clayed. I suppose it would be personal preference if you wanted to wash the car again after clay.

One of the best tips I've read in the forum is using a leaf blower to dry your car. If you're performing routine maintenance (not going to polish), leave a little water, and use a quick detailing spray with a Microfiber to bring out a great shine. Then, if necessary, you can apply your LSP. If you can, give it a shot.

Kevzaz
07-02-2008, 11:32 AM
Thank you, and thanks for the tips. I have a leaf blower, so I can give that a try. But why clay when it is wet?

blacknblu
07-02-2008, 11:42 AM
Thank you, and thanks for the tips. I have a leaf blower, so I can give that a try. But why clay when it is wet?
You will be using a lubricant for the clay, likely a quick detailing spray, or even the soap water used to wash the car. I see it more as a time saver.

Kevzaz
07-02-2008, 12:37 PM
I get what your saying. Its a water based product, so the water wouldn't harm it, probably make it easier. And why would you wash it after clay? Wouldn't it just get it dirtier since water always has some dirt in it, and the clay just took it all off.

4fit?
07-02-2008, 12:42 PM
I get what your saying. Its a water based product, so the water wouldn't harm it, probably make it easier. And why would you wash it after clay? Wouldn't it just get it dirtier since water always has some dirt in it, and the clay just took it all off.
Many folks wash the car after claying because they feel that it may have left some residue on the surface. I personally do not wash after claying and have never had any problems. I've never had an issue of clay residue being left on the surface after the claying process. :cheers:

Kevzaz
07-02-2008, 01:20 PM
Me neither. Thats weird. My car looks amazing after I clay it. Lol... but I got a problem with my car... now heres a question that refers to my own car. Right near the back tires, the paint looks... very scratched, or like, hazy... its very hard to describe. I tried a lot to fix it, but it is still there. Thinking of trying #80 and #83 on it. What do you think I should do?

TObleRONE
07-02-2008, 05:00 PM
Ok, so I just want to make sure that I am doing the right thing here.

Exterior:
First: Wash using a microfiber mitt and Coral Blue washing detergent.
Fourth: Use Megs #83 if there are bad scratches then #80. Or if the scratches are small, just go to #80.
Fifth: Wax using Megs NXT 2.0 (for darker cars with flakes), or Meguiars Gold Class Liquid Wax (for lighter colored cars)

Interior:
First: Sweep the carpets, use carpet cleaner if bad.
Second: Use Megs #40 for interior dash board.
Third: Get windows with what ever window cleaner that doesn't have ammonia.

Wheels:
First: Wash off while like we did for rest of exterior
Second: Use Megs Hot Rims
Third: Use some type of tire shine

Please correct me, or suggest some other stuff.

I might recommend picking up a few grout sponges for your exterior wash media. I bought a couple of microfiber wash mitts from Autogeek which are cool. But the grout sponge does an exceptional job of washing without marring. They only cost ~2 bucks a piece and last a long time ( I bought 6 a few months ago and am still using my first one).

Leatham
07-02-2008, 09:19 PM
Me neither. Thats weird. My car looks amazing after I clay it. Lol... but I got a problem with my car... now heres a question that refers to my own car. Right near the back tires, the paint looks... very scratched, or like, hazy... its very hard to describe. I tried a lot to fix it, but it is still there. Thinking of trying #80 and #83 on it. What do you think I should do?

i wash my car after claying as it usually it takes me at least 2hrs to finish claying the car... well that's what happens when ur working at a plastics plant. by the time i finish, there will be dried clay lubricant stains on the car... a quick ONR wash takes care of that :D

Kevzaz
07-03-2008, 11:53 AM
Ohhhh... Where can I get a grout sponge? Our market? Also what are good towels to remove product? And I don't get clay stains on my car, so I'm all good... lol

ScottB
07-03-2008, 04:38 PM
remove product --- Indigo's and Edgeless Microfibers

grout sponge -- Lowes or Home Depot

carguy
07-03-2008, 08:12 PM
Ohhhh... Where can I get a grout sponge? Our market? Also what are good towels to remove product? And I don't get clay stains on my car, so I'm all good... lol

You can get sponges from Lowes I work there in the flooring dept, Tilesoulitonsgrout sponge work very nice, also the professional one are with all the cleaning supplies they are yellow, hope this helps.:righton:

Kevzaz
07-03-2008, 09:47 PM
Thanks guys. Ya, you did help. =]

blacknblu
07-03-2008, 09:59 PM
Thanks guys. Ya, you did help. =]
:)
It helped me too. Up until now, I've been using a grout sponge for tires because I didn't know if it would mar my paint. Now I know otherwise, I'm going to give it a shot too (of course, not the one I've been using on my tires)